Connecting two separate tickets UA

buggins0402

First, I went into these tickets eyes wide open as to the risk. But, decided for a saver business class FF on UA metal from EZE, it was worth the risk.

I have booked two FF tickets EZE to EWR. Both tickets were booked separate, because the miles were in separate accounts....so they are not linked. Then, to get home I have booked two other FF tickets (economy) ...EWR to DTW...those are linked because they came out of one account. And obviously, the whole itinerary isn’t linked on either ticket. I left 7 1/2 hours between the flights, for minor SHTF type of stuff, but I realize things can go very sideways. We have a Sapphire Reserve...so hopefully the 6 hour delay provisions will help if that happens.

On to the question.. would it be reasonable to call UA and ask them to link this mess...or is it a total unreasonable thing to even attempt? Are there any other ways to mitigate that I should keep in mind? The UA website does have a place to check flights that are under one trip...which I did, but, that just looks to be personal trip management tool.

I could have booked the long hauls as one itinerary at the time of booking...but the flight would have been EZE to EWR, LGA to ORD, ORD to DTW. It was better just to end the flight in EWR, assume risk and figure things out from there. At least I came to my senses before booking paid DL flights from EWR to DTW.. I don’t think DL would have any mercy if we miss a flight because of a delay issue on UA. :D

It is just a personal management tool; UA can’t combine reservations. You can ask that they put a note on your itineraries.

You sound as if you’ve left a lot of time between flights. I’d just keep my eye on them for schedule changes.

It is just a personal management tool; UA can’t combine reservations. You can ask that they put a note on your itineraries.

You sound as if you’ve left a lot of time between flights. I’d just keep my eye on them for schedule changes.

Thanks, I’ll call and ask them to put notes on the itineraries.

Is there hope in EZE that the gate agent will check our bags straight through, so that we won’t have to exit airside in EWR?

I'm curious as to why you didn't just call UA and ask to begin with rather than posting on here and waiting for a response. :confused:

Why not, I don’t have to be put on hold for an agent...and know what exactly to ask the agent to do when I finally get around calling. And, I know I didn’t achieve anything when linking on line. It’s not like the flights are tomorrow...they are in February.

Cut me some slack...I did figure out all on my own how to get the Copa PTY-SCL seat assignments that were booked through UA, without using a Copa or UA agent. :p

• 2 weeks later...

You are just going to have one extra step. Instead of rechecking your bag for continuing flights, you will exit and head up stairs, to departures and check in for your flight and check your bags. Then security. You should have plenty of time.

I am very familiar with both your South America airports, no- EZE will not combine your tags for the bags. It is also simple to use cheap bus transportation to the San Antonio pier. Significat price difference. I pay less than $10 :)

You are just going to have one extra step. Instead of rechecking your bag for continuing flights, you will exit and head up stairs, to departures and check in for your flight and check your bags. Then security. You should have plenty of time.

I am very familiar with both your South America airports, no- EZE will not combine your tags for the bags. It is also simple to use cheap bus transportation to the San Antonio pier. Significat price difference. I pay less than $10 :)

Thanks BQ. I emailed your link a while ago hoping to find out if there is just a way of doing Chacabuco DIY with a hike along the water. I know you are the one that knows these SA ports better than anyone...bar none.

UA can, and often will, through check bags on split tickets if both are on UA stock. The problem is, it's not all that easy for an inexperienced agent to do. Whether they are willing to bother in EZE, I don't know. But, you should definitely try. The reason is that if UA enforces a four-hour maximum check rule, you will have to stand around and wait in the departures area at EWR before you are allowed to recheck your bags. If they are tagged through, you can just drop them off after clearing customs.

If you want to learn the magic words to give agents to do this in the UA computer system, take a look at flyertalk for the words to say.

Thanks, I went on Flyertalk and I think I found the thread to which you were referring. Looks like there is a chance to have things checked through. You are right though, I probably have more luck in a United hub then EZE, but I’ll view it as gravy if it happens and I’ll be prepared with all the needed information in EZE.

The sticky on the top of the thread is in language I can understand...sometimes Flyertalk is so advanced in “flight talk” that I feel I need a foreign language dictionary. My flight talk is on the same level as my restaurant French. :D

• 1 month later...
... but I realize things can go very sideways. We have a Sapphire Reserve...so hopefully the 6 hour delay provisions will help if that happens. ...

But doesn't your card benefit specify coverage for "connecting flights"? Trip insurance specifies this... if I'm wrong, let me know.

Peg

But doesn't your card benefit specify coverage for "connecting flights"? Trip insurance specifies this... if I'm wrong, let me know.

Two separate tickets are not "connecting flights" which is a term of art in the airline industry. Just because YOU are connecting doesn't mean that your tickets are.

Connecting flights means flights on one ticket, with no stopover provision, with passengers changing flights are some intermediate location.

So the OP's reliance on his credit card benefit may not be something for him to count on.

True. It might cover something, but since I don't have access to the exact language, coverage and exclusions, I can't make a definitive statement.

One thing is true....two tickets does not equal "connecting flights".

So the OP's reliance on his credit card benefit may not be something for him to count on.

I read through the Chase insurance pdf and to tell you the truth I’m not sure. There appears to be some coverage if a delay over 6 hours by a common carrier causes an economic loss.

Actually, if the flight is significantly delayed coming into BA, I will have time to find workarounds. Hopefully, with the itinerary notes, UA will provide some assistance. As I stated initially, I was willing to assume some risk to avoid the EWR to LGA to ORD to DTW mess.