Air2Sea questions...Please:

Ashland

Have never considered using Air2Sea for my RCI cruise and am a bit concerned as this is so new for me. Needing flights in mid May 2019 for LAX-BCN.

Am seeing outbound on DL connecting in JFK and the return on AF connecting in CDG business class seats total of $5241.28 for the two of us.

Am I going to be able to choose my seats on DL & AF when I make the booking? Any help and tips on using this you can offer me would be much appreciated as I am hesitant to book before getting some feed back from you all.

I have already purchased private travel ins. (as always) for this cruise when I booked it and can easily add the flight costs once I book.

I have always been able to pick my seats. Sometimes you can do it when you are booking and other times you have to book first. Then you can pick your seats.

Leigh

Thanks so much ..... and for being the only one to answer what I thought was an easy question.

Have you had any problems or concerns when using Air2Sea?

I've used A2S several times without problems. Yes, with that class you will be able to select your seats and should be provided an airline record locator number to make changes.

Before you pull the trigger, reprice your itinerary as two one ways. I don't know why, but sometimes it is cheaper.

I've used A2S several times without problems. Yes, with that class you will be able to select your seats and should be provided an airline record locator number to make changes.

Before you pull the trigger, reprice your itinerary as two one ways. I don't know why, but sometimes it is cheaper.

Thank you so much..I'll do that...I'm now waiting for DL to make available my return date as I would rather fly with them (hopefully) connecting in ATL than AF connecting at CDG...just my preference.

Thanks again.

Have never considered using Air2Sea ......AF connecting in CDG business class seats .....Am I going to be able to choose my seats on DL & AF when I make the booking?

Typically European airlines don't allow advance seat selection on intra-european flights, although I can't recall if Air France makes an exception for business class. Be aware that intra-european "business" class usually means regular coach; they just block the middle seat so it stays empty.

Your transatlantic leg will be actual business class seating and unless there is some weird restriction on your Air2Sea ticket, you will be able to choose that seat in advance.

Typically European airlines don't allow advance seat selection on intra-european flights, although I can't recall if Air France makes an exception for business class. Be aware that intra-european "business" class usually means regular coach; they just block the middle seat so it stays empty.

Your transatlantic leg will be actual business class seating and unless there is some weird restriction on your Air2Sea ticket, you will be able to choose that seat in advance.

So my flight from BCN to LAX via CDG would be considered an intra-european flight :confused:

Regardless I'm waiting until DL makes my returning flight available BCN-LAX with hopefully my connection in ATL. I would much prefer this over AF...just a personal choice. And it looks like my business class would actually be in first class as far as I can tell at this point using DL.

Hopefully this is correct and I can make the booking...just trying to be cautious with my first time trying Air2Sea.

Thanks so much for your input.

Regardless I'm waiting until DL makes my returning flight available BCN-LAX with hopefully my connection in ATL. I would much prefer this over AF...just a personal choice. And it looks like my business class would actually be in first class as far as I can tell at this point using DL.

I personally wouldn't do this.

Don't DL run a mix of regular domestic and "premium" configured aircraft between ATL and LAX? You could find yourself in a regular domestic FC seat with 38" pitch etc. for the best part of 5hrs when you're paying the same rate (give or take a few dollars) than the full blown business class experience on longhaul CDG-LAX.

I personally couldn't care if they call it first class/business class or whatever. Don't let the "first class" name for whatever DL call the ATL-LAX flight fool you into thinking it will be superior to AF longhaul business class.

So my flight from BCN to LAX via CDG would be considered an intra-european flight :confused:

No. You have 2 different flight segments on 2 different aircraft. Your LAX-CDG flight is an international flight. Your CDG-BCN flight is an intra-european flight (i.e. "within" Europe)

As for your return business class actually being first class:

-If you are talking about the BCN-ATL leg, it would be business class, as DL does not offer international first class.

-If you are talking about the ATL-LAX leg, yes, it would be domestic first class; I don't believe DL flies wide body aircraft between the two so it would not be business class.

(For you or anyone else reading, please note that international first class and domestic first class are completely different classes of service. People often get confused by that. )

Don't DL run a mix of regular domestic and "premium" configured aircraft between ATL and LAX? You could find yourself in a regular domestic FC seat with 38" pitch etc. for the best part of 5hrs when you're paying the same rate (give or take a few dollars) than the full blown business class experience on longhaul CDG-LAX.

I personally couldn't care if they call it first class/business class or whatever. Don't let the "first class" name for whatever DL call the ATL-LAX flight fool you into thinking it will be superior to AF longhaul business class.

DL offers D1 (business class) service from JFK to both LAX and SFO. ATL-LAX is regular domestic first, although I seem to recall hearing the possibility of adding D1 service on some other transcontinental routes so possibly you are correct.

As for whether first is better than business or not, it seems like a good time to clarify, again, that international first class and domestic first class are two completely different classes of service that are often confused by infrequent flyers.

1. In order of luxury, international first class is at the top of the heap, and isn't offered on all airlines. Most people have never and will never experience it.

2. The most common "premium" class of service is business class, which is usually for transoceanic flights, though occasionally for longer transcontinental flights.

3. and 4. Premium economy would be next, followed by domestic first class, although depending on specific airline and aircraft configuration, one could argue that those might be reversed.

5. Next would be the economy plus type products, (eg. Delta's Comfort +.). These are regular economy seats with a little extra leg room and maybe priority boarding or some other relatively insignificant perk or two. These products are often mistaken for true premium economy, which they most certainly are not!

6. Regular economy seating brings up the rear.

As one can see, there is confusion to be had between international first and domestic first, as well as between premium economy and economy plus. Further confusion comes, as I mentioned in a prior reply, when for example, airlines in Europe use the term "business class" when referring to intra-european flights that simply offer regular economy seats, but keep the middle seats blocked so you aren't shoulder-to-shoulder with another pax. The actual seat though, is the same width and offers the same pitch as economy, because that's essentially what it is.

Just an update on how things worked out for us with our flights from LAX-BCN via JFK (out/back) May 2019.

I had been watching DL dirctly C+ $2448.00...Air2Sea C+ $2458.00 and of course business/first DL $10,336.00 and Air2Sea $5764.00.

Very late here last night (midnight) on the west coast I checked again...no change in the Air2Sea for either class...but to my SHOCK.....DL was pricing at $3930.00 Delta One on all flights (767-300, A330-300 & A330-300 & 767-400) and great seats. And this morning when I checked again DL was up to $5764 and Air2Sea the same. ;)

So excited...I think I did really good :D

business/first DL $10,336.00 and Air2Sea $5764.00.

Very late here last night (midnight) on the west coast I checked again...no change in the Air2Sea for either class...but to my SHOCK.....DL was pricing at $3930.00 Delta One on all flights

We tend to fly Delta most of the time, and have noticed a lot of fluctuation in their business fares. We understand that (supply and demand and all that) so have learned to start checking early, check often, and be patient. Like you, we've often seen flights start suddenly appear for thousands less.

We tend to fly Delta most of the time, and have noticed a lot of fluctuation in their business fares. We understand that (supply and demand and all that) so have learned to start checking early, check often, and be patient. Like you, we've often seen flights start suddenly appear for thousands less.

We fly DL often too..was just surprised at how quickly this fare came and went...and after all this talk about Air2Sea I thought I would get the best rate with them...not so this time.

Thanks so much for the time you took to input all the info in your post #10.

Thanks so much for the time you took to input all the info in your post #10.

You're very welcome. I should have added that it doesn't help any that airlines often give these various fare classes their own names, ex. Delta calling their new premium economy product "premium select" or their business class product "D1."

You're very welcome. I should have added that it doesn't help any that airlines often give these various fare classes their own names, ex. Delta calling their new premium economy product "premium select" or their business class product "D1."

And the old Continental had the great product name "Business First".

To think....some branding expert got paid good money for that one.

All my flights say DeltaOne.....first time using this category have only done C+, Business & First...so will this be different..it looks like it will looking at the details of these flights.

All my flights say DeltaOne.....first time using this category have only done C+, Business & First...so will this be different..it looks like it will looking at the details of these flights.
I think it's just Delta's new brand name for business class. I see pictures of two different types of horizontal lie-flat seats, but neither looks like anything particularly different or revolutionary.

I think it's just Delta's new brand name for business class. I see pictures of two different types of horizontal lie-flat seats, but neither looks like anything particularly different or revolutionary.

Thanks for your input...DH might use the lie-flat from JFK-BCN but I'm not an airline sleeper...so just the comfort of being able to have my feet up will work great for me.

Just another quick question if you don't mind?

I gave us a 3 hour connection (instead of the one hour option) on our way back BCN-LAX via JFK..Will we go through customs in JFK...and how will that work ? We've done this at other airports where we claim our luggage and then hand it back in again at the designated area for connecting passengers....assuming it will be the same.

Edited by Ashland

All my flights say DeltaOne.....first time using this category have only done C+, Business & First...so will this be different.

Not really. DeltaOne, or D1, is standard Delta business class.

I gave us a 3 hour connection (instead of the one hour option) on our way back BCN-LAX via JFK..Will we go through customs in JFK...and how will that work ? We've done this at other airports where we claim our luggage and then hand it back in again at the designated area for connecting passengers....assuming it will be the same.

Yes. Arrive, get bags and clear customs, immediately re-check bags at the post-customs luggage drop-off, go through security (since you've had access to your checked bags) and proceed to your gate.

Not just customs but immigration and security too.

When you have cleared your checked bags through customs you will see where you can recheck your bags. You can use the Delta Skyclub during your connection.

DH might use the lie-flat from JFK-BCN but I'm not an airline sleeper...so just the comfort of being able to have my feet up will work great for me.
Even if you don't sleep, you'll probably appreciate the luxury of being able to lie down!

Not really. DeltaOne, or D1, is standard Delta business class.

Yes. Arrive, get bags and clear customs, immediately re-check bags at the post-customs luggage drop-off, go through security (since you've had access to your checked bags) and proceed to your gate.

Not just customs but immigration and security too.

When you have cleared your checked bags through customs you will see where you can recheck your bags. You can use the Delta Skyclub during your connection.

Thanks for the helpful info both of you gave. Always appreciated.

Now what exactly should I expect to find in the Delta Skyclub at JFK.?

I'll be able to use it also at LAX (outbound) and apparently they have a private DeltaOne check in area...what's that all about...anything different than just their own counter at LAX ?

Thanks for the helpful info both of you gave. Always appreciated.

Now what exactly should I expect to find in the Delta Skyclub at JFK.?

The Sky Club at JFK's T4 has one really unique feature that is currently only found there and at the F concourse club at ATL... the Sky Deck. It's an outdoor seating area directly across from the bar area inside the club. If the weather is nice it can be a cool place to sit and watch planes moving around although it can be a little loud sometimes. There's a variety of seating, and you can take your food and beverage out there.

Also, since the T4 club is in a major international terminal, it is one of the clubs with shower facilities. If you have time and desire, you can check in to the club and sign in to use the showers upon arrival from your flight from BCN, before heading on to LAX. We don't usually worry about showering in the club on the way home from Europe, as it's typically a daytime flight, but when going TO Europe and connecting at CDG or AMS, we do enjoy a morning shower in the AF or KLM lounge, especially since we usually get to our final destination city long before our hotel room is ready; having a shower those mornings in the club make us feel a bit more human when we drop our bags at the hotel desk and head out for lunch and afternoon sightseeing while waiting on our rooms.

Beyond that you'll have all the normal Sky Club offerings....food, drink, restrooms, wifi, Delta agents, etc.

Edited by waterbug123

The Sky Club at JFK's T4 has one really unique feature that is currently only found there and at the F concourse club at ATL... the Sky Deck. It's an outdoor seating area directly across from the bar area inside the club. If the weather is nice it can be a cool place to sit and watch planes moving around although it can be a little loud sometimes. There's a variety of seating, and you can take your food and beverage out there.

Also, since the T4 club is in a major international terminal, it is one of the clubs with shower facilities. If you have time and desire, you can check in to the club and sign in to use the showers upon arrival from your flight from BCN, before heading on to LAX. We don't usually worry about showering in the club on the way home from Europe, as it's typically a daytime flight, but when going TO Europe and connecting at CDG or AMS, we do enjoy a morning shower in the AF or KLM lounge, especially since we usually get to our final destination city long before our hotel room is ready; having a shower those mornings in the club make us feel a bit more human when we drop our bags at the hotel desk and head out for lunch and afternoon sightseeing while waiting on our rooms.

Beyond that you'll have all the normal Sky Club offerings....food, drink, restrooms, wifi, Delta agents, etc.

Sounds great...thanks for all the info.