Ryan Air Question

g8way2go

Do I need to contact Ryan Air ahead of time to take my CPAP as extra carry on? I have never had a problem with other airlines but I understand Ryan Air is very particular when it comes to checked and carry on baggage. I will be flying from Barcelona to London after a cruise.

Knowing Ryanair you might find that this is expensive. They are not known for their helpful or flexible approach, you might regret booking this airline instead of BA or Iberia, many Brits avoid due to the constant penny pinching approach especially to add on costs .

Thank you for this link ... it is very helpful. Now to find the best way to contact them from Canada. I have time on my side ...hopefully I can get approval without too much difficulty.

I am still hoping to hear from someone who has actually taken a CPAP onboard, and if they had any difficulties.

Edited by g8way2go

I fly Ryanair frequently and find them one of the best airlines for Special Assistance. You are allowed certain medical items FOC. The best thing is to contact their Special Assistance department and ask. They are normally very helpful. They will also book your seats together without having to pay any extra.

Their Special Assistance number is on their website.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for this link ... it is very helpful. Now to find the best way to contact them from Canada. I have time on my side ...hopefully I can get approval without too much difficulty.

I am still hoping to hear from someone who has actually taken a CPAP onboard, and if they had any difficulties.

I just now followed through on the link and looked at the 'Special Assistance' contact number. It seems that for Canada you would call 'Rest of the World' number. However this is a premium number with additional access charges, so I would suggest you try the Irish number +353 1 248 0858 as this will only be subject to international call rate.Monday - Friday, 06:00 - 19:00 GMT

Saturday, 09:00 - 18:00 GMT Sunday, 10:00 - 18:00 GMT.

I was able to get assistance through their live chat as I am unable to make overseas calls with my phone carrier. They will email me a clearance letter a few days before the flight.

I am also encouraged by your positive comments. I was getting a little concerned about the negative reviews I had read. If there is anything you would like to add concerning your experience with this airline, I would love to hear it. This will be my first time flying with this airline.

I was able to get assistance through their live chat as I am unable to make overseas calls with my phone carrier. They will email me a clearance letter a few days before the flight.

I am also encouraged by your positive comments. I was getting a little concerned about the negative reviews I had read. If there is anything you would like to add concerning your experience with this airline, I would love to hear it. This will be my first time flying with this airline.

Glad you got things sorted out. You will get fast tracked through security too and go to the front of the queue at check in. Which UK airport are you flying from?

The negative comments are normally from people who have never even flown Ryanair. They are also normally on time. Although at the moment French ATC are striking, but that affects lots of airlines.

We flew RyanAir 2 years ago and my friend took her CPAP. No issues but there was a form that she was required to submit prior to flying.

dogs4fun - good to hear there were no issues. Yes they had several questions including the make and model of the CPAP and the weight and dimensions of the carrying bag ... glad I did not have long distance phone charges as I had to take the CPAP off the night stand and put it in the bag .... fortunately I was able to locate my luggage scale quickly.

In Barcelona ensure you have wheelchair assistance with your Special Assistance as it can be a very long walk. In Stanstead they will take you to your onward travel, whether it be train, coach or taxi.

"Irrespective of a passenger's visa requirements, all non EU/EEA citizens must have their travel documents checked and stamped at the Ryanair Visa/Document Check Desk before going through airport security."

So it is your boarding pass that they stamp ...I was wondering what travel document they were referring to.

I took my CPAP on Ryanair several times a few years back without issues, although it did take some time to complete their documentation process. And at that point in time at least, I had to wait for some approval from them, but once I had that, it was good for subsequent trips with them, as I recall. them. No matter the airline, it's a good idea to keep a copy of the prescription in the CPAP bag. Ryanair does have more restrictive carryon size limits than most airlines, so beware. They evidently went with the 20 cm thickness limit that IATA proposed some time back, which is slightly under 8 inches, whereas most airlines are a bit more generous. (And in the US, there is little selection for bags that are sized for the Ryanair dimensions!) When I few with them, the size and weight was checked carefully on most flights.

I took mine last summer on Ryan Air. As it is a medical device, I did not even think of checking in advance about it as a carry-on. It was a non-issue. Having said that, if I had known there was a procedure to follow, I would certainly have followed it just to avoid any issues.-

We use Ryanair a lot because they have a pretty big operation from our local airport. Essentially they are providing a bus service with wings. They get you from A to B but if you want frills you have to pay for them.

One thing to watch out for is their seat assignment policy. They play a very nasty and sneaky little game whereby if you don't pay to pick your seats in advance you can practically guarantee that when you check in and get your "free seat assignment", your party will be split up all over the aircraft. If sitting together is important to you, then bite the bullet and pay to choose your seats asap.

We use Ryanair a lot because they have a pretty big operation from our local airport. Essentially they are providing a bus service with wings. They get you from A to B but if you want frills you have to pay for them.

One thing to watch out for is their seat assignment policy. They play a very nasty and sneaky little game whereby if you don't pay to pick your seats in advance you can practically guarantee that when you check in and get your "free seat assignment", your party will be split up all over the aircraft. If sitting together is important to you, then bite the bullet and pay to choose your seats asap.

FionaMG

We also use Ryanair frequently and don't have any problems with them. These days even the likes of BA charge lots of extras too.

I use Special Assistance and they are one of the best. They are also generally on time and have the most modern fleet in Europe.

FionaMG

We also use Ryanair frequently and don't have any problems with them. These days even the likes of BA charge lots of extras too.

I use Special Assistance and they are one of the best. They are also generally on time and have the most modern fleet in Europe.

Agree, London Towner. Never had any real issue with them. They do what they say on the tin and they're very convenient for us because they have such a big operation out of Faro, which is our local airport. I arrived back the other night on the last flight of the day (TAP on this occasion) and there were no less than seven Ryanair aircraft lined up on the tarmac ready for the early morning flights!

I really just wanted to alert the OP, as a new user, to the issue of the free seat assignments. When we flew to Porto and back a couple of months ago our party of four was literally scattered all over the aircraft both ways. For a 50-minute flight it was a non-issue for us but it could be a problem for others.

Agree, London Towner. Never had any real issue with them. They do what they say on the tin and they're very convenient for us because they have such a big operation out of Faro, which is our local airport. I arrived back the other night on the last flight of the day (TAP on this occasion) and there were no less than seven Ryanair aircraft lined up on the tarmac ready for the early morning flights!

I really just wanted to alert the OP, as a new user, to the issue of the free seat assignments. When we flew to Porto and back a couple of months ago our party of four was literally scattered all over the aircraft both ways. For a 50-minute flight it was a non-issue for us but it could be a problem for others.

We have had loads of fantastic short breaks on cheap Ryanair flights. We live in north east London, so Stanstead is very near.

So glad to hear the positive comments. I bought my seat with my ticket and was pleasantly surprised to read that I can check in and print my boarding pass 60 days before the flight. Normally it is only 24 hours before the flight.