Italy Air Traffic Controller Strikes

Grandma Cruising

We are due to fly into Rome on Thursday 5 July to join our Azamara cruise on 7 July. We’ve just heard that there’s a 24 hour Italian Air Traffic Controllers strike that day.

We’re flying with Jet2. I have rung them and been told it shouldn’t affect our flight. That seems very unlikely to me.

Anybody have any experience of this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would be asking to have my flight changed to the day before. But then, I like having "cushions" built in, and I personally prefer to be out in front of a possible disruption rather than wait until afterwards.

I have no idea what the regulations are regarding changes due to "industrial action" (love Euro euphemisms).

... "industrial action" (love Euro euphemisms).
It's not a euphemism, nor is it particularly European. Industrial action covers a very wide spread of possible action by workers, including but not limited to strikes.

The most genteel form of industrial action that I can recall was that of Qantas pilots a few years ago. Their industrial action amounted to wearing non-uniform red ties, plus making unsanctioned announcements about the reasons for the industrial action.

Back to Host Grandma Cruising's question: there have been many Air Traffic Control strikes recently that have had limited effects on flights. The strike is not necessarily of all controllers, so it can be the case that much service is maintained. It might be worth looking at what's happened during recent strikes to get a feel for the sort of thing which might happen. It won't be a sure guide to what will happen on the day that you're supposed to fly, but it might give you a better feel for whether you should kick up more of a fuss with your airline.

looking at this site state the July 5th strike is cancelled

was on for 1pm to 5 pm July 5th

http://www.dial-a-surgeon.com/Italian-air-traffic-controller-strike-2015-management-worker-ai-.html

I would still check with your airline to see if you can fly in earlier

JMO

Sorry - I looked at the site from your link and I can’t see where it says it’s cancelled - the words on the site say

“21 June, 2018 Announced today a new Italian air traffic control strike.

Strike is for 24 hours and will be on Thursday

5 July, 2018.”

That’s what I already understood it to be.

Our airline, Jet2, is a budget airline and won’t let us change. Also they only fly to Rome twice a week - Thursday & Sunday.

It’s further complicated by us wanting to fly to Rome and back from Venice, and the fact that we are driving to the airport, so need to leave from and get back to the same airport in the north of England.

I think what we are going to do is book another flight to Rome with BA via Heathrow for 4 July - better pay out a bit more than lose the whole holiday. Out travel insurance doesn’t cover strikes of 24 hours or less.

Our airline, Jet2, is a budget airline and won’t let us change. Also they only fly to Rome twice a week - Thursday & Sunday.

This is something that is frequently issued as a caveat when folks book ultra low cost airlines. They don't interline with other airlines, their tickets may be highly restrictive, and they often have very limited service between any two cities. The savings may be significant, but one always has to be thinking in terms of "plan B" if booking with them.

Sorry - I looked at the site from your link and I can’t see where it says it’s cancelled - the words on the site say

“21 June, 2018 Announced today a new Italian air traffic control strike.

Strike is for 24 hours and will be on Thursday

5 July, 2018.”

OMG I am so sorry it was July 5th 2017

I should not read important stuff when I am tired

Hopefully the strike will be cancelled this year

not a lot you can do

fingers crossed you make it to the ship in time

I think it’s for the full day of 5 July - midnight 4 July to midnight 5 July.

Hi,thanks for pointing this out,I didn't know.We have friends flying in from UK this week on Ryanair.They are going back on the 5th,that's a bummer.Will have to hope the strike is cancelled,cheers,Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

A number of years ago we were on an Air Canada/Alitalia code share from FCO. It was an AC plane. There was a labour dispute of some sort.

The ALitalia checkins were a zoo. We cheched in with AC. We left on time. After take off the pilot came on the PA and thanked people for their patience. He also said something odd. The non Italian carriers were being given preference during this strike, hence we were able to leave on time when some other were facing significant delays.

A number of years ago we were on an Air Canada/Alitalia code share from FCO. It was an AC plane. There was a labour dispute of some sort.

The ALitalia checkins were a zoo. We cheched in with AC..

Given that your fight was operated by AC, it's only appropriate that you checked in with AC rather than Alitalia.

The strike was cancelled, but before it was we had booked another flight for the day before, which we took. We couldn’t get the money back on the flight we didn’t take, but we were concerned that if we left it too late & the strike went ahead, we might have not been able to get on another flight, and we felt it better to lose £200 or so than risk losing the cruise.

We’re on the Azamara Quest right now, having a great time.