Airlines to Miami from northeast

shipgeeks

We usually fly to Fort Lauderdale; however, now considering a cruise out of Miami. Not having much luck finding airlines that go there. Any suggestions?

It can be difficult to find non-stops to MIA from many NE airports. Many times you will have to change in Charlotte or Atlanta. Most of the time we cruise out of Miami we simply fly into FLL and stay at our favorite hotel and eat at our favorite restaurant. On the morning of our cruise we simply use Uber to get to the Port of Miami. The Uber X price is about $40 and its about a 40-45 min ride.

Hank

Assuming that 'Western PA' means your airport is PIT. Searching ITA Matrix for random dates in January, I see that the only non-stop flights are on American Airlines. United and Delta offer 1-stop itineraries at a significantly lower cost. You need to decide whether the additional cost is worth the non-stop.

Of course, you could always fly into FLL and shuttle/taxi/Uber/rental car to Miami.

We usually fly to Fort Lauderdale; however, now considering a cruise out of Miami. Not having much luck finding airlines that go there. Any suggestions?

MIA is the largest airport in Florida and the 12th largest in the USA. Over 65 airlines serve MIA.

So just what do you mean by "finding airlines that go there"??

Let me guess...you want lots of airlines with nonstop flights at cheap prices.

Did I miss something?

Of course the OP never specified what airport they are planning to fly from to either FLL or MIA. Not sure how we are supposed to give them a solid, factual set of data from which to plan from, without all the criteria involved in the equation.

Vague questions equals vague answers.

What??? Miami is one of AA's major hubs. A simple bit of searching will find you MANY flights into/out of MIA. :rolleyes:

Plus, FLL and MIA are NOT really that far apart. Many folks fly the blue and orange into FLL and sail from Miami. Google maps is your friend for seeing how close they are.

To elaborate, we are looking for PIT to MIA. Have found only American and Delta. No Southwest, no JetBlue. I was curious whether any other airlines I'm not familiar with might go there. Nonstop is nice but not essential. January or April. Just trying to learn all I can before we commit.

I was curious whether any other airlines I'm not familiar with might go there. Nonstop is nice but not essential.
This page will answer your question about which airlines fly there; if you're prepared to connect, you have lots of choice (as you'd expect from one of the busiest airports in the US): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_International_Airport#Passenger

It doesn't look like Delta flies Pittsburgh to Miami non-stop, anyway; and American only flies Eagle on the route. That table is how things stand now, though, so it may not have taken into account forthcoming changes.

To elaborate, we are looking for PIT to MIA. Have found only American and Delta. No Southwest, no JetBlue. I was curious whether any other airlines I'm not familiar with might go there. Nonstop is nice but not essential. January or April. Just trying to learn all I can before we commit.

I still don't understand the problem. American and Delta are two of the biggest airlines in the country and you can get from PIT to MIA on them, you will probably need a connection somewhere. You can also get there via United with a connection in (most likely) Newark, or maybe IAD. If you want to fly JetBlue or Southwest then fly into FLL and take a shuttle or taxi/uber to the port of Miami. Me thinks you are overthinking this a bit.

Thank you for the replies, everyone. I did not intend for this to be a complicated question. Maybe the airline equivalent of a newbie asking "I want to go on a cruise; is there any cruiseline besides Carnival and Celebrity?", to which most of us could give names off the top of our heads.

I appreciate the responses.

In reality, it's not all that far between FLL and the Miami cruise port. I have flown into MIA for cruises departing from Fort Lauderdale on more than one occasion. I see that JetBlue flies PIT-FLL nonstop at a good price. I always prefer a nonstop over one with a connection. Also, JetBlue's aircraft have the best economy seating of any US airline in coach - especially for non-status passengers

To me, your best options are on American to MIA or Jetblue to FLL. Shop both and see what the all in costs would be for each airline - including any needed baggage and ground transport.

Shop both and see what the all in costs would be for each airline - including any needed baggage and ground transport.

And please don't make your decision solely on price. That's what has driven the race to the bottom that most carriers are engaged in.

Instead, make an evaluation on which of your options provides the best VALUE. Seat pitch on AA is horrible, and getting worse fleetwide. Seatback video is being eliminated. Look at your onboard and ground experience, not just the price.

Southwest and Jetblue do not serve MIA...but both have many flights to FLL. Keep in mind that from FLL to the Port of Miami is about a 45-50 min drive. From MIA to the Port of Miami is at least a 20 min drive. That is one of the reasons we often fly to FLL for cruises from Miami. Also consider that there are usually some better hotel deals in Ft Lauderdale that will make up the extra transportation costs :).

Hank

To elaborate, we are looking for PIT to MIA. Have found only American and Delta. No Southwest, no JetBlue.

So.... what's wrong with flying American or Delta?

Thank you for the replies, everyone. I did not intend for this to be a complicated question. Maybe the airline equivalent of a newbie asking "I want to go on a cruise; is there any cruiseline besides Carnival and Celebrity?",

So here's the thing: When you choose a cruise ship, you're choosing a "resort" of sorts where you will stay for a week or so, give or take. Little differences can be important, given the time you will spend on the ship. But you're looking at airlines, which are far more similar than they are different. Is an experience that is only slightly different, if that, worth worrying about when you consider that you will only be on the plane for a couple of hours?