Any cruise line going through the new canal?

DrKoob

Caribbean Princess has been doing partial transits on a regular basis. Carnival Splendor did a repo to Long Beach in Jan. Disney Wonder will be going through Friday on her repo to the west coast and Alaska. NCL Bliss will do a Westbound next month. I believe Carnival Freedom also did a partial transit. To find out who is going and when, go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose Panama Canal as your Port of Call. If you are familian with various cruise lines and their ships, you can figure out who is too big for the original canal. EM

Caribbean Princess has been doing partial transits on a regular basis. Carnival Splendor did a repo to Long Beach in Jan. Disney Wonder will be going through Friday on her repo to the west coast and Alaska. NCL Bliss will do a Westbound next month. I believe Carnival Freedom also did a partial transit. To find out who is going and when, go to www.cruisetimetables.com and choose Panama Canal as your Port of Call. If you are familian with various cruise lines and their ships, you can figure out who is too big for the original canal. EM

Thank you for your response.

If you google 'seacruise' you will come up with a forum dedicated to the Panama Canal, where we attempt to follow cruise ships through the canal. capturing them on the cams if possible. If you scroll down from the home page, there is a calendar of expected transits. I can't post a link here because CC would *** it out. EM

If you google 'seacruise' you will come up with a forum dedicated to the Panama Canal, where we attempt to follow cruise ships through the canal. capturing them on the cams if possible. If you scroll down from the home page, there is a calendar of expected transits. I can't post a link here because CC would *** it out. EM

Did you mean to search Cruise Critic? Because if you Google "Seacruise" you get all kinds of stuff about Frankie Ford's fifties song. Can you e-mail me the link at jimbellomoATmac.com? I would truly appreciate it.

Does anyone know which cruise lines (if any) are using the new canal? Really want to go through the new one.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

Jim

Actually there is not a New Canal. There are new locks which allow you to traverse the Canal, which is really the entire crossing. While the locks are a major component of the canal, Gatun lake, the Calabria cut and other parts are equally significant in the construction of this wonder. From a personal standpoint I prefer the old locks and what they represent as an engineering marvel for when they were built. It is also fun to watch as a Panamax ship is fit into the old locks. Either way this is a great wonder to see and cruise

Actually there is not a New Canal. There are new locks which allow you to traverse the Canal, which is really the entire crossing. While the locks are a major component of the canal, Gatun lake, the Calabria cut and other parts are equally significant in the construction of this wonder. From a personal standpoint I prefer the old locks and what they represent as an engineering marvel for when they were built. It is also fun to watch as a Panamax ship is fit into the old locks. Either way this is a great wonder to see and cruise

Cutting off some of Italy to move it to Panama would indeed be an engineering marvel! ;p

(I agree with you about the old locks. :D)

We found it interesting to go through the new locks but actually prefer the old locks.

The original locks have mules (engines) to propel the ships through the locks. The new lock has the ship more or less tied to the side of the lock and you just wait for the water to rise or fall. A tugboat is tied to the front and aft to further secure the ship.

We did see a large cargo container go through - the tugboat line snapped causing the container ship to slam into the sidewalk of the lock.

Cutting off some of Italy to move it to Panama would indeed be an engineering marvel! ;p

(I agree with you about the old locks. :D)

Ah spell checked again but never know what those engineers can do. My bad. How about Culebra?

Well I knew that. ;) Funny how everyone else figured out what I was talking about.