Would we miss much if we just stayed on the ship?

Meeshwood

I am considering staying on the ship and skipping St Thomas. I figure the ship will be less crowded during a port day. We do not cruise often, it has been about 10 years since our last. I have never been to St Thomas. I am not interested in shopping. My husband and I are traveling with our 3 kids so a beach trip to Magen's would cost us about $100. We live near the beach and frequently vacation in the Outer Banks, NC. We are sailing on the Carnival Magic. Thank you for any input.

We like St Thomas—it’s easy travel and you don’t need to buy a shore excursion. You can get a cab at the port to local beach or take the ferry to St Johns which National Park has great snorkeling. St Thomas downtown area is small so you could get off, walk around and reboard. Of the USVI, there is more on st Thomas than st Croix.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

St Thomas is so beautiful. If i had to choose a port to stay on the ship, it definitely wouldn’t be that one. Antigua is another story. So is the Bahamas and Jamaica.

Edited by DCLCrazy

I live at the Outer Banks NC and St.Thomas is my favorite cruise port. I know it has been hit hard by the Hurricanes but it needs our support. The beaches are beautiful and clear water. Magen's bay is calm water for the kids to swim. You do have to pay an entrance fee also. Kids free. There are closer beaches with no entrance fee. Not sure if Morning star beach is open. Not as calm as Magen's. I would get off the ship.

St Thomas is so beautiful. If i had to choose a port to stay on the ship, it definitely wouldn’t be that one. Antigua is another story. So is the Bahamas and Jamaica.

I agree. St Thomas is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I remember going on a tour when we stopped somewhere to take pictures. It was amazing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with staying on the ship, but I would pick a different port to do it.

You don't say which ship you're on and what the itinerary is. What activities are available on your ship?

We are sailing on the Carnival Magic. It goes to Amber Cove, San Juan, Grand Turk, and obviously St Thomas. We have never sailed on this ship but it has 2 pools, some water slides, and a splash area for the kids. Lots of food options. I'm not totally sure what else.

Get off the ship. There are tons of tour buses and taxis right at the port... go see one of the world famous beaches, at least for a little while.

You can always come back early, get on the ship before the crowds come back, and have time to do the pools.

We did this same cruise last year, and at Amber Cove we spent the morning at the port pool and ziplines, then got back on ship at lunch, did the ropes course twice, etc, before the crowds came back. It was wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning to be in St Thomas at the end of March this year... I have been to Magens Bay and the ride over horrified me because I'm a baby I know LOL... Anyway, I wanted to go to Morningstar Beach because its 9 minutes away from port but I've heard the roads to it were closed?? From the hurricane? Also, is the road to it nice and flat??

We are planning to be in St Thomas at the end of March this year... I have been to Magens Bay and the ride over horrified me because I'm a baby I know LOL... Anyway, I wanted to go to Morningstar Beach because its 9 minutes away from port but I've heard the roads to it were closed?? From the hurricane? Also, is the road to it nice and flat??

Yep-- if you want a flatter road, head to Emerald. IMO Emerald is prettier than Morningstar too.

I grew up in mountains, but the roads in STT are scary. I don't mind riding in a taxi, but I do not want to drive there!!

The road to Emerald Beach is flat, and it's not too far from cruise docks.

We docked at Crown Bay for the first time on Adventure of Seas last week. The taxi to Emerald Beach was $4 per person one way and only 5 mins or so through a hill. Because small kids were with us, we did not want to go far. We visited many other beaches in St. Thomas, but his was our first visit to this beach. There were washrooms, a bar/restaurant and chairs and umbrellas for rent. We all enjoyed the beach time.

If you dock at Heavensight, and kids are not small, you may walk to Paradise Point. You could either take the skyride to the top or walk up the road to the top (and come down on foot). We did both in the past. Apparently the ride opens last week (could not check as we docked at the Crown Bay.)

We sailed into St. Thomas in December. Downtown shops fully open and taxis available everwhere. We docked at Crown Bay which I do not like and would prefer havensight.

Many positive CC members reporting on the Port Board on specific beaches so check that out.

I would go back tomorrow if I could.

Edited by Loucat
typo

Get off, get a shuttle $5 p/p and go to one of their beautiful beaches. Not the most popular one which will unbelievably crowded, just nearest to pier. You’ll still have a great time. We did this April 2016. [emoji41] relaxing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope that all of you planning to cruise where you stop at ports that were impacted by Irma and Maria will consider that you are basically the only economy many islands have at this time. Hotels are closed. Please reconsider staying on the boat and please reconsider a dislike of shopping. Spend some money on food and beverages.Buy a reminder of your trip or a small gift for someone back home. Many businesses are hoping for your patronage.

I am considering staying on the ship and skipping St Thomas. I figure the ship will be less crowded during a port day. We do not cruise often, it has been about 10 years since our last. I have never been to St Thomas. I am not interested in shopping. My husband and I are traveling with our 3 kids so a beach trip to Magen's would cost us about $100. We live near the beach and frequently vacation in the Outer Banks, NC. We are sailing on the Carnival Magic. Thank you for any input.

Let's all keep in mind the original post.

They go to the beach at home and on vacations, don't care about shopping, and trying to safe money so just staying on the less crowded ship in St. Thomas could be a good & enjoyable thing for their family. :)

Let's all keep in mind the original post. They go to the beach at home

No offense to North Carolina which the OP frequents (my wife is from there and weI lived there for many years so I know that it’s a wonderful state) , but you just can’t compare the beaches of North Carolina to the beaches of the Virgin Islands. St Thomas is a fantastic destination with a little bit of everything. Shopping, beautiful beaches, history and breathtaking scenery.

If I HAD to choose one port in this itinerary to stay on the ship, it would be Grand Turk which doesn’t have too many attractions beyond the Carnival made welcome center. But it would still be hard to skip any of the ports in this itinerary.

About hurricane damage, I haven’t been back to St Thomas since the hurricane hit but I’ve been to neighboring Puerto Rico, 3 weeks after the hurricane and I just returned from there yesterday. The change during the last 6 months has been dramatic. It’s hard to tell that this island went through what it went through. Mother Nature has been hard at work. The lush green and beautiful scenery are back. Businesses have been repaired and are open, and even new businesses have sprouted all over the island. I’ll guess that St. Thomas has also made a comeback based on what I’ve read.