Can I take?

elainmir

Hubster has back issues and has made his own "walking stick" that he's sanded and carved. Is this allowed on board? I don't want him to have put all that work into it and have it taken.

I see no problem with that it’s not a weapon. Say it’s his cane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have not idea about this. But I do think it would depend a great deal on the object itself and how it was evaluated by ship security. A light, carved piece would likely not cause a problem. A sturdy oak stick with a ball at the top might be viewed as a potentially dangerous item.

Read the cruise contract, I doubt the cruise line is at all worried about lawsuits, even ones based on the ADA.

Yes, they will allow it. I can tell you this from experience. My husband was injured onboard the Conquest. Tore his quad tendon completely off his knee and had to have surgery as soon as we got home. The ship’s doctor though, said it was just a sprain so here we were thinking that he was going to have a hard time getting around for awhile. At one of the ports he bought a carved walking stick because he knew he was going to need some sort of cane to get through the airport for the flight home. It was allowed onboard. Was even allowed on the flight with no problem. Just had to be x-rayed.

Yes, they will allow it. I can tell you this from experience. My husband was injured onboard the Conquest. Tore his quad tendon completely off his knee and had to have surgery as soon as we got home. The ship’s doctor though, said it was just a sprain so here we were thinking that he was going to have a hard time getting around for awhile. At one of the ports he bought a carved walking stick because he knew he was going to need some sort of cane to get through the airport for the flight home. It was allowed onboard. Was even allowed on the flight with no problem. Just had to be x-rayed.

LOL at the ship's "doctor". My wife broke her wrist on the Victory two years ago. The doctor on the ship started examining her elbow. We asked what he was doing and he said "You say fall on wrist?" We said "Yes, but THIS is a wrist and THAT is an elbow".

LOL at the ship's "doctor". My wife broke her wrist on the Victory two years ago. The doctor on the ship started examining her elbow. We asked what he was doing and he said "You say fall on wrist?" We said "Yes, but THIS is a wrist and THAT is an elbow".

Lol, that doesn’t surprise me. Honestly, all joking aside, I would hate to be in a life or death situation on board. Those doctors sure are not highly qualified.

This is not true and very hard to believe, especially your poor attempt at some sort of accent. Many of the doctors are U.S. and sign up for 2 week to month gigs. The doctor my wife saw was American, with his wife on a free paid vacation.

This is not true and very hard to believe, especially your poor attempt at some sort of accent. Many of the doctors are U.S. and sign up for 2 week to month gigs. The doctor my wife saw was American, with his wife on a free paid vacation.

That is ENTIRELY true, no matter what you might say. This doctor was very much NOT American and was EXTREMELY difficult to understand. You weren't there, so don't speak to that which you don't know.

By the way, the only x-ray machine on board was "broken" and they couldn't x-ray her, but I guess you won't believe THAT either.

Hubster has back issues and has made his own "walking stick" that he's sanded and carved. Is this allowed on board? I don't want him to have put all that work into it and have it taken.

I use a carved walking stick. No problem, You just have to run it through the Ships scanner when coming back on board!!

are you saying Asian doctors are not as good, and the wrist/elbow part is pretty hard to swallow for any physician. Did you complain to Carnival about the doctor or the $150 office visit?

No where in ParrotRob’s post does it mention any ethnicity of the doctor, except for saying “not American.” Great job jumping to conclusions.

I’m also pretty sure most physicians know the different between elbow and wrist, nothing hard to figure out there.

My DH has seen the Dr on 2 different cruises for "cruise crud" in his chest. Both were American and both Emergency Room Drs on a sort of "vacation".

By the way, the only x-ray machine on board was "broken" and they couldn't x-ray her, but I guess you won't believe THAT either.

They actually keep their good working x-ray machines at the gangway to make sure nobody is smuggling in a bottle of alcohol :-)

You’ve obviously never seen The Love Boat. But that was Princess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My thought is this. I too have a walking stick I made for our National Parks excursions this past Summer. I think that's awesome he did that. BUT, I would leave it at home and buy a cane if that would work for him. If the hiking stick means a lot to him, he may not want to risk having it confiscated. Should it be? Probably not. Could it be? Quite possibly. Mine I have started collecting and affixing Park and other site medallions too. He may want to see if he could get ship and port "pins" or whatever and affix those to the stick too. Makes for cool mementos vs shot glasses and spoons (lol) and the like.

They actually keep their good working x-ray machines at the gangway to make sure nobody is smuggling in a bottle of alcohol :-)

This made me chuckle

are you saying Asian doctors are not as good, and the wrist/elbow part is pretty hard to swallow for any physician. Did you complain to Carnival about the doctor or the $150 office visit?

We were not charged an office visit. I think Carnival was afraid enough of being sued since my wife tripped over a carpet joint that a much more litigious person than myself would have quite likely found negligent. Carnival also covered the Broward County General bills we incurred the day we returned to port without batting an eye.

And I still couldn't care less about your doubt of the wrist/elbow distinction. I was there. You were not. Your belief is completely irrelevant to my fact.

Oh, and to answer your final question, yes, we did complain to Carnival about the physician, the broken X-ray machine and mostly the way the security personnel that transported her to the medical bay treated her more like a prisoner than a patient by manhandling her. Carnival's response was a "review of their security procedures" and a $250 OBC for our next cruise.