Suite Price per serson why not book a stateroom too?

captbly

So first time cruiser, looking at prices for Family of 4. One of the items i keep see is say a Suite is $2,000 per person, but you can get a State room for $500 a person. Instead of booking the suite for 4 and paying $8,000 (which would never happen). Is there any issue with booking the Suite for 2 (4,000) and a stateroom for 2 ($1000) Then basically we would all just stay in the suite and the sateroom would never be used but would only cost $5000 instead of $8000.

So first time cruiser, looking at prices for Family of 4. One of the items i keep see is say a Suite is $2,000 per person, but you can get a State room for $500 a person. Instead of booking the suite for 4 and paying $8,000 (which would never happen). Is there any issue with booking the Suite for 2 (4,000) and a stateroom for 2 ($1000) Then basically we would all just stay in the suite and the sateroom would never be used but would only cost $5000 instead of $8000.

Is there a minimum head count for the suite? Only 2 people may not be allowed to book the suite ... due to exactly what you have outlined .... BIG loss of revenue for the cruiseline. I don't know if this is true ... I am asking and thinking it might be. IF you are able to do that .... then use the stateroom for showers and getting ready. Gives you extra room for that.

If the suite offers other perks for booking those in the regular stateroom will not be able to partake of them. For example, suite dining room will be off limits. Also some cruise line make you book one adult in each cabin so guess what..... you might not care for those sleeping arrangements.

Be sure you are able and willing to break up your family for the savings. Why not just book two balcony rooms that connect that way you have 2 bathrooms and more space.

On NCL the total price is actually the same if you have more people in the suite. For example, on the Epic in May, there is an owner's suite available and the price for the suite (not per person) is $9,215 regardless of if 2 or 4 people are booked into the suite. My advice is to test book - where you pretend like you are booking and check the price as to if it is actually lower or not. A suite price can be $2,000+ per person for 4 but $4,000+ per person for 2.

This will vary by cruise line. 3rd and 4th people in Holland America cabins is usually much less than other cruise lines. Then there is the issue about how well the additional people would be housed in any given suite.

I think we need more info to give informed advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Only the first and second passengers would receive the perks associated with booking the suite.

You have to do a test booking to be sure of the numbers. Prices can change even for the same boat depending on which sail date you choose.

Remember that there may be a slightly higher tip involved with suites especially if you're trying to get the room steward to make up bedding for 4 when he's only supposed to do 2.

The standard cabin passengers will also have different lifeboat muster stations and may not have life jackets for them in the suites since they don't belong there.