Carnival AAC vs FAC rooms

mcarney

Hi ...

I am beyond frustrated and am hoping someone can help me.

On the Carnival website, it states AAC rooms are for those who need assistance with canes and walkers primarily. The only other option when booking are FAC rooms which are needed for wheelchair guests and there are only a max of 4 on the ships (at least the Magic) ...

Can anyone tell me ... do these rooms have a lip or threshold into the bathroom?

I can't imagine that out if all the handicapped rooms, only the FAC do not have the threshold into the bathroom

I take my elderly (91) dad on a cruise every year and he uses a walker, but CANNOT step up 8" into the bathroom.

Thank you!

Hi ...

I am beyond frustrated and am hoping someone can help me.

On the Carnival website, it states AAC rooms are for those who need assistance with canes and walkers primarily. The only other option when booking are FAC rooms which are needed for wheelchair guests and there are only a max of 4 on the ships (at least the Magic) ...

Can anyone tell me ... do these rooms have a lip or threshold into the bathroom?

I can't imagine that out if all the handicapped rooms, only the FAC do not have the threshold into the bathroom

I take my elderly (91) dad on a cruise every year and he uses a walker, but CANNOT step up 8" into the bathroom.

Thank you!

FAC ( Fully Accessible Cabins) - Perplexed as to why you think a Fully Accessible cabin would have a step into bathroom ? To be classified as a Fully Accessisble Cabin it's required that there's no barrier which would prohibit a wheelchair from entering/exit the bathroom .

AAC (Ambulatory Accessible Cabins) - is a basic standard cabin with a step into the bathroom.

No, I know the FAC doesn't have a lip ... but I've heard/seen YouTube where it appears AAC rooms do not have lips and others say they do ... I can't imagine that there are only 4 cabins on the ship that have no lip

No, I know the FAC doesn't have a lip ... but I've heard/seen YouTube where it appears AAC rooms do not have lips and others say they do ... I can't imagine that there are only 4 cabins on the ship that have no lip

Have done a search on You Tube and the only video's found were of a Fully Accessible Cabins. Would like the link to the video that you say was for an AAC.

It is very possible that there areonly 4 FAC's on MAgic as there is are no regulations/requirments as to number of FAC rooms vs. standard cabins have to be on any foreign flagged ship. AAC cabins came about only with Carnival and Holland America as a result of the lack of FAC's cabins.

CC alters the link when I post it but if you do a GOOGLE search using "AAC Carnival Magic " you'll find the link th from a popular cruise travel agent site listing all FAC and ACC room numbers.

Edited by xxoocruiser

AAC cabins were formerly known on Carnival as "modified accessible" cabins. As many of the ships have gone into dry dock, they are being retrofitted (supposedly) to eliminate some of the features; however, they do still have a larger bathroom with grab bars, etc. There is no lip in the bathroom in these cabins. You can see below (and at https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx) the lip into the bathroom is only mentioned for the standard stateroom.

Fully Accessible Cabins (FAC): These staterooms are designed for use by guests with highly limited mobility, who require the regular use of a wheelchair, scooter or other similar assistive devices. Fully Accessible Cabins contain accessible elements including turning space, accessible routes throughout the stateroom and an accessible bathroom. Additionally, the bathrooms contain grab bars and shower seats.

Fully Accessible Cabins - Single Side Approach (FAC-SSA): These staterooms are designed for use by guests with highly limited or no mobility, who require the regular use of a wheelchair, scooter or other similar assistive devices. Fully Accessible Cabins - Single Side Approach are a type of FAC that provide an accessible route and clear floor space on only one side of the bed, in staterooms configured to provide only one bed. In a stateroom configured to provide two beds, the clear floor space will be between the beds, with one side of each bed getting an accessible route. Additionally, these staterooms have an accessible bathroom that contains grab bars and shower seats.

Ambulatory Accessible Cabins (AAC): These staterooms are designed for use by guests with mobility limitations, who do not require the regular use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other similar assistive devices. For example, Ambulatory Accessible Cabins are ideal for guests who only use an assistive device (like a cane or a walker) for traversing longer distances, and who may benefit from certain accessible features like grab bars, to assist with balance.

Standard Cabins: These staterooms have an entry doorway measuring approximately 22", an 8" lip into the cabin bathroom, a 4" lip into the shower stall and a 7" lip to the balcony (if applicable).

Have done a search on You Tube and the only video's found were of a Fully Accessible Cabins. Would like the link to the video that you say was for an AAC.

It is very possible that there areonly 4 FAC's on MAgic as there is are no regulations/requirments as to number of FAC rooms vs. standard cabins have to be on any foreign flagged ship. AAC cabins came about only with Carnival and Holland America as a result of the lack of FAC's cabins.

CC alters the link when I post it but if you do a GOOGLE search using "AAC Carnival Magic " you'll find the link th from a popular cruise travel agent site listing all FAC and ACC room numbers.

Here's the YouTube video of Magic, 11201 - AAC ROOM . .watch at 1:49 timestamp

AAC cabins were formerly known on Carnival as "modified accessible" cabins. As many of the ships have gone into dry dock, they are being retrofitted (supposedly) to eliminate some of the features; however, they do still have a larger bathroom with grab bars, etc. There is no lip in the bathroom in these cabins. You can see below (and at https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx) the lip into the bathroom is only mentioned for the standard stateroom.

Fully Accessible Cabins (FAC): These staterooms are designed for use by guests with highly limited mobility, who require the regular use of a wheelchair, scooter or other similar assistive devices. Fully Accessible Cabins contain accessible elements including turning space, accessible routes throughout the stateroom and an accessible bathroom. Additionally, the bathrooms contain grab bars and shower seats.

Fully Accessible Cabins - Single Side Approach (FAC-SSA): These staterooms are designed for use by guests with highly limited or no mobility, who require the regular use of a wheelchair, scooter or other similar assistive devices. Fully Accessible Cabins - Single Side Approach are a type of FAC that provide an accessible route and clear floor space on only one side of the bed, in staterooms configured to provide only one bed. In a stateroom configured to provide two beds, the clear floor space will be between the beds, with one side of each bed getting an accessible route. Additionally, these staterooms have an accessible bathroom that contains grab bars and shower seats.

Ambulatory Accessible Cabins (AAC): These staterooms are designed for use by guests with mobility limitations, who do not require the regular use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other similar assistive devices. For example, Ambulatory Accessible Cabins are ideal for guests who only use an assistive device (like a cane or a walker) for traversing longer distances, and who may benefit from certain accessible features like grab bars, to assist with balance.

Standard Cabins: These staterooms have an entry doorway measuring approximately 22", an 8" lip into the cabin bathroom, a 4" lip into the shower stall and a 7" lip to the balcony (if applicable).

Very interesting . .. I wish I could get a firm verification from Carnival ... my PVP is checking withspecial needs after I sent her the video ... I just want to book a cabin that my dad can navigate in and not take away from someone who really needs the FAC...

Here's the YouTube video of Magic, 11201 - AAC ROOM . .watch at 1:49 timestamp

Though Carnival's deck plans shows 11201 to be an Ambulatory Accessible Cabin, based on the video 11201 i actually appears to beFully Accessible Cabin. Reason being is that 11201 has enough floor space to allow the use of wheelchair or mobility scooter while in the cabin. AAC's don't have the floor space for someone who requires the use a wheelchair or scooter in the room ,

IMO both the deck plan on Carnival's website as well as the list of FAC/AAC cabins listed on the V-c-----s T- G- website have some wrong info.

I know ... this is beyond frustrating ... my PVP got back with me and said that the special needs department is cracking down on TA's and PVP's and now they pretty much require the guest to speak to them to verify the need for the handicapped room ... jeez!!!! I'm going to look for more videos this weekend ... and I guess I'll call special needs myself --- I just don't understand with all of the people in scooters, wheelchairs, walkers that there's only 4 cabins that do not have a lip into the bathroom ... unless like Schoifmom said, all of the AAC and FAC don't have lips .. that would make sense

I know ... this is beyond frustrating ... my PVP got back with me and said that the special needs department is cracking down on TA's and PVP's and now they pretty much require the guest to speak to them to verify the need for the handicapped room ... jeez!!!! I'm going to look for more videos this weekend ... and I guess I'll call special needs myself --- I just don't understand with all of the people in scooters, wheelchairs, walkers that there's only 4 cabins that do not have a lip into the bathroom ... unless like Schoifmom said, all of the AAC and FAC don't have lips .. that would make sense

It's not that Special Needs ramdomly decided to start cracking down. It's because of the abuse caused by TA's fraudulently booking abled-bodied people into Accessible Cabins to avoid having to pay the price a standard suite to get a larger cabin . As a result all cruise lines must comply with a USA Federal Law regarding any cruise ship embarking from a USA port of embarkation that went into effect 01/01/2012. In summary the law is as follows :

• (g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessiblecabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserveaccessible cabins because they have greater space, you—
  • (1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether theindividual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has amobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessiblefeatures that are provided in the cabin.
  • (2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabinis for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires theuse of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

We have sailed in 3 “modified accessible “ cabins (before they called them AAC) and none had a lip to the bathroom.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I talked to the special needs department and she confused me even more ... she said that some AAC rooms were being modified (either in dry dock or during cruises) .. she said that rooms that had no lips and 32" doors could be modified to having a lip and 22" door ... what???? She said they don't have any lists of what rooms have what and don't know when these modifications will happen ... except that the Victory and Elation have already had them ... and of course, the new ships are built that way. I just want to book a room where my dad can access the bathroom without having to struggle.

Anyone stay in any rooms lately on the Magic that were listed as AAC but had no lip to the bathroom? I would greatly appreciate knowing.

Photos of 11201 on Carnival Breeze show it to be a fully accessible cabin, roll in bath with shower seat. I strongly urge you to go to http://www.cruisedeckplans.com and pull up the class of ship you are considering. Magic is Dream class. Go to the cabin type you want and click on 'handicap'. It will list the cabins and any pictures available can be viewed with paying the membership fee. For Breeze there are pictures of all of the HC OV cabins. Same for Magic. Incidentally, this is a triple cabin and the third bed is an upper. EM

Photos of 11201 on Carnival Breeze show it to be a fully accessible cabin, roll in bath with shower seat. I strongly urge you to go to www.cruisedeckplans.com and pull up the class of ship you are considering. Magic is Dream class. Go to the cabin type you want and click on 'handicap'. It will list the cabins and any pictures available can be viewed with paying the membership fee. For Breeze there are pictures of all of the HC OV cabins. Same for Magic. Incidentally, this is a triple cabin and the third bed is an upper. EM

Yes, thank you ... I used to go to that site all the time until they required membership. I have looked at the regular deck plans as well as the ADA deck plans ... there is no consistency--- so now I'm trying to find actual first hand knowledge --

Anyone on the Magic or dream class ships recently and was/is in a handicapped room, I would love to know the room number and if the bathroom has a lip (if it does, was it shorter than the standard room)

I just went through this with special needs . We have someone booked in 11203 on the Breeze. According to all info this is an Ambulatory accessible cabin. We needed one that a 25" power chair would fit through so I made contact. The info I received said that this cabin will have a 32" door and no bathroom lip as well as a walk in shower. I dont know what disqualifies it from being FAC except that they said there wasnt turn around space. Looking at diagrams and videos makes me think there is plenty of turning space. Anyway, she said these were the specs for my sailing but due to changes in ACs that would change in the future. I verified the info twice just to make sure. Its a confusing mess !

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

I just went through this with special needs . We have someone booked in 11203 on the Breeze. According to all info this is an Ambulatory accessible cabin. We needed one that a 25" power chair would fit through so I made contact. The info I received said that this cabin will have a 32" door and no bathroom lip as well as a walk in shower. I dont know what disqualifies it from being FAC except that they said there wasnt turn around space. Looking at diagrams and videos makes me think there is plenty of turning space. Anyway, she said these were the specs for my sailing but due to changes in ACs that would change in the future. I verified the info twice just to make sure. Its a confusing mess !

Thank you!

Did she say what changes exactly they are planning on doing in the future?

No. It was very vague and non-comittal

Ugh *♀️

The changes are in reference to a settlement between Carnival Corporation and the USA Department of Justice going back to 2015. NOTE: Carnival Corporation includes Carnival Cruises, Holland America and Princess. The reclassfication of accessible cabins to FAC, AAC and FAC-SSA was a resuklt of this lawsuit. The settlement also requires the following all of which will occur over an extended period of time:

• 42 existing ships, and 7 ships in various stages of design and construction, will be surveyed and remediated to comply with the ADA regulations. Accessible cabins will be dispersed among the various classes of accommodations and will provide a range of accessible features, including features for guests with hearing impairments;

• Three percent of the cabins on 49 ships will be accessible according to three levels of accessibility: fully accessible cabins, fully accessible cabins with a single side approach to the bed, and ambulatory accessible cabins. The remaining 13 ships will be subject to possible remediation if they continue to be in service in U.S. ports four years after the agreement is entered.