Wharf or tender? Phuket, Langkawi and Penang

emviar

Your itinerary should indicate if you tender. You could also ask on the Ports of Call boards here.

https://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=S812

In the itinerary posted above, which I assume is your cruise, Bali is clearly listed as a tender port. Since the others are not so listed, I presume that they dock in those ports. EM

I have also so presumed Essiesmom, but I've read that in Phuket e.g. a ship may either dock or tender. I wondered if anyone had local firsthand knowledge.

You might also inquire on the OZ/NZ forum here, as people from that part of the world are more likely to have sailed Sun Princess and to that part of the world more often. EM

On the Sun Princess in May 2018. Does anyone know whether it will use a tender or dock at a wharf in Phuket, Langkawi and Penang? We need to use a wheelchair so hoping these ports will not require tenders.

With all do respect, it perplexes me as to why people ask questions such as the one here when all they have to do is check the cruise lines website . Princess notes if its a tendered port on the actual intinerary posted on its website . If not noted as a tendered port than its a docked port. Of course things can change on the actual port day. For example https://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=S812A

Phuket, Langkawi and Penang are not tendered ports.

Edited by xxoocruiser

With all do respect, it perplexes me as to why people ask questions such as the one here when all they have to do is check the cruise lines website . Princess notes if its a tendered port on the actual intinerary posted on its website . If not noted as a tendered port than its a docked port. Of course things can change on the actual port day. For example https://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=S812A

Phuket, Langkawi and Penang are not tendered ports.

And with all due respect to you, I have already checked the website and I know what it says about the ports on the itinerary! I would not be so silly as to jump onto a forum and just ask without trying to find out first.

As you're replying to a question in a Disabled Travel sub forum, I assume that you know that people with disabilities will do as much research as possible and have learnt through experience that what a website says is sometimes not what you get at the other end.

I KNOW the website says these are not tendered ports but if you search around, like I have, you'll see that in some cases cruise ships do tender at some of these ports (see, for example,https://www.whatsinport.com/Phuket.htm and https://www.whatsinport.com/Langkawi.htm ).

Hence my question, asking people who might know what the local situation is.

Generally we have found Princess to be quite reliable, but having never been to these ports we don't know what the possibility is that a tender will be offered when we get there.

My wife is in a wheelchair and a tender port means she cannot go ashore, so it is pretty important that we do all the research we can before we leave.

We docked in Phuket. Have not been to the other two ports.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Thanks Betty. How easy would it be to get from the ship to the cruise terminal in a wheelchair (I'm assuming there's an actual terminal there, not just a wharf)? We can take either a manual wheelchair or a power chair ashore, depending on how easy the access is (rough surfaces are not good for a power chair with smallish wheels).

Actually, I do not remember much about the port. Only that both Ruth and I required the scooters and I put together a big tour with a private company. Unfortunately, since then, I had a major computer crash and lost all the records. I do not recall any problems meeting the tour company at the port. Only that everyone had a great time. That was in 2009 and I assume there may have been some changes.

The tour company agreed to transport our scooters and assist Ruth in and out of the vehicle. We did a combination sight-seeing, stopped at a cashew store, went to a typical Thai lunch and to an animal place where those that wanted to ride elephants could.. I believe this is the port where we saw the "big" Buddha statue.

I do not remember what we paid, only that we got a good deal because I managed to get almost 30 signed up. The vehicles were more like covered jeeps with an extra row of seats. The drivers lifted our scooters in and out.

I'd suggest you do some research on the internet and see if you can find a company that does groups. Also, if you get to the cashew store, you must sample one of the sweet type and also the chili type. I wish that I would have brought more home.

I do not have any of the tour records, but Ruth send me a bunch of pictures of what we saw. If you would like to email me, I can send them to you. My email is: bettysworldnow@yahoo.com.

Enjoy your visit,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

And with all due respect to you, I have already checked the website and I know what it says about the ports on the itinerary! I would not be so silly as to jump onto a forum and just ask without trying to find out first.

As you're replying to a question in a Disabled Travel sub forum, I assume that you know that people with disabilities will do as much research as possible and have learnt through experience that what a website says is sometimes not what you get at the other end.

I KNOW the website says these are not tendered ports but if you search around, like I have, you'll see that in some cases cruise ships do tender at some of these ports (see, for example,https://www.whatsinport.com/Phuket.htm and https://www.whatsinport.com/Langkawi.htm ).

Hence my question, asking people who might know what the local situation is.

Generally we have found Princess to be quite reliable, but having never been to these ports we don't know what the possibility is that a tender will be offered when we get there.

My wife is in a wheelchair and a tender port means she cannot go ashore, so it is pretty important that we do all the research we can before we leave.

Actually depending if the individual is able to walk/up down a few steps, has a foldable wheelchair and weather permitting cruise lines ( even Princess ) usually will permit the person onto the tender.

Understand your need for research but don't understand why you think the information stated in your links has led you to believe Princess's info is wrong ?

Phuket

Princess is only likely to tender during high season which is November - April. Your cruise is May which is the beginning of Monsoon Season (May- October ) , During Monsoon Season cruise ships are Docked not tender at Ao Makarm Port. However there's no Monsoon active at the time the possibility exists to be Docked not tendered at the Port of Phuket. Basically this is all stated in the link you provided.

LangKawi

The link you provided required further research which you may have not done. Though the link provided in your post mentions tendering it also states that that's only when Star Cruise Line has ships in port. If you went to Star's website you would have discovered it has no ship in Langkawi during the entire month of May. If you went further and checked other port schedule websites you would have found the Sun Princess is the only ship in port the day your there.

The information posted on Princess' website is correct pending any unforeseen schedule change.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Actually, I do not remember much about the port. Only that both Ruth and I required the scooters and I put together a big tour with a private company. Unfortunately, since then, I had a major computer crash and lost all the records. I do not recall any problems meeting the tour company at the port. Only that everyone had a great time. That was in 2009 and I assume there may have been some changes.

The tour company agreed to transport our scooters and assist Ruth in and out of the vehicle. We did a combination sight-seeing, stopped at a cashew store, went to a typical Thai lunch and to an animal place where those that wanted to ride elephants could.. I believe this is the port where we saw the "big" Buddha statue.

I do not remember what we paid, only that we got a good deal because I managed to get almost 30 signed up. The vehicles were more like covered jeeps with an extra row of seats. The drivers lifted our scooters in and out.

I'd suggest you do some research on the internet and see if you can find a company that does groups. Also, if you get to the cashew store, you must sample one of the sweet type and also the chili type. I wish that I would have brought more home.

I do not have any of the tour records, but Ruth send me a bunch of pictures of what we saw. If you would like to email me, I can send them to you. My email is: bettysworldnow@yahoo.com.

Enjoy your visit,

Betty

Thanks for the very helpful advice Betty. Lots to think about there and the idea of organising our own tour sounds appealing. I looked into private tour operators a couple of months ago, but only for the two of us. I'll give it some more thought.

xxoocruiser if you have some direct experience of these ports I'd be glad to hear about it, but you seem to be more interested in misrepresenting and criticising me and I'm not interested, thanks, life's too short. :rolleyes:

xxoocruiser if you have some direct experience of these ports I'd be glad to hear about it, but you seem to be more interested in misrepresenting and criticising me and I'm not interested, thanks, life's too short. :rolleyes:

I find your comments quite harsh. Haven't misrepresented anything. My original post was not a criticism but rather a statement that actual applies to many on CC and not just this forum. Your first post in no way indicated you had already checked with Princess . .. basically no harm no foul by me pointing out their Website had the information. Your response still implied you were still uncertain as to whether any tendering was involved. After reading your links and "researching" the contents eveything points to Princess having correct inforomation on it website .....again no harm no foul in my response.

Sorry you feel this way . Have noticed that you recently became a CC member . In due time you'll find out that I am a well respected contributor to this forum m have been very helpful to posters , and have been an advid world traveler which includes 39 years of cruising ( Not all that old started cruising in my early twenties when no- one below the age of 65-70 was cruising ) both as an abled bodied and disabled. Betty (Raindropsalways) is also one of the well respected posters on this forum.

As far as the ports in question. Worked for 15 years all through out Asia and South East Asia. Have been to the areas in question but not on a cruise nor when my the symtoms of my disability were visivble to others (I have MS ). Can tell you that weather will be an iffty thing as May is Monsoon Season for pretty much all of Asia. Therefore make certain to pack rain gear. The disposable rain ponchos found at dollar stores or Amazon are great for traveling. All the ports are not all that wheelchair friendly . Things have inproved over the years with increased tourism but you're still likly to find a washroom that has a hole in the floor and not have a western toilet found If such a situation occurs look for a Hotel nearby that caters to Western Travelers that's you're best bet. WIth that said the local people are very friendly and are very helpful to assist in lifting the wheelchair over curbs. Be carefull of crossing streets and even pushing the wheelchair along the side of the road as traffice can be crazy. You won't find any wheelchair accessible taxi's or tour bus but if your wife can transfer into a vehicle drivers will generally work with you. You need to try to find a private accessible tour prior to the cruise but honestly that's difficult. Provided the taxi driver speaks Eglish you can usually negociate to design your own tour and hire the vehicle for the time you're in port. Can't provide any other info but to try the local food . Have you checked with Princess Access Department if any wheelchair accessible excursions are offered ?

Wish you much enjoyment and safe travels.

Edited by xxoocruiser

A lot has changed since Ruth and I started traveling together. Not much was

“wheelchair accessible” and I learned real quick to approach from a different aspect. When checking out tours or getting from point A to point B , I always asked if they could “transport” our scooters. Never asked for “wheel chair accessible”. I still ask if company can transport my scooter and find a lot of places receptive about lifting it in and out of vehicles.

In regards to Pat's comments about the restrooms, it is definitely a problem. We were very fortunate and with a little peeking around corners or checking individual stalls (if existing), we normally found “western” accommodations. However, you might want to consider checking out p.ez on line to take along.

Sign on the “Roll call” for your sailing. There you should be able to find others looking to do things or trying to put a tour together.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

We can usually manage taxis as we have a foldable wheelchair that fits in the trunk. I had to google "p.ez" - I hadn't heard of it but my wife had!

We've travelled a lot in SE Asia so we know the hazards pretty well. But with MS having progressed to the point where negotiating airports and planes is not possible, we have been doing cruises from our home port. We get around the ship quite easily but going ashore is sometimes a problem.

We can usually manage taxis as we have a foldable wheelchair that fits in the trunk. I had to google "p.ez" - I hadn't heard of it but my wife had!

We've travelled a lot in SE Asia so we know the hazards pretty well. But with MS having progressed to the point where negotiating airports and planes is not possible, we have been doing cruises from our home port. We get around the ship quite easily but going ashore is sometimes a problem.

If you're wife's MS symptoms are affected by changes in the barometric pressure than the she needs to be prepared for the sudden changes during Monsoon Season. Never disclosed my MS to any employer but working in Asia and SE Asia 26 -28 weeks a year for many years particularly during Monsoon Season really took a toll on my MS. Yes I know that you can put a 100 people in a room that have MS and all have different symptoms but if you haven't traveled during Monsoon Season you need to be prepared.

Are you on the May 13 cruise? I looked at the itinerary. You have some interesting ports to visit. Our cruise was from Shanghai to Singapore, Royal Caribbean's maiden voyage out of Shanghai. Plus, we stayed on the ship all the way to Rome. This is a brief summary of what I remember about ports you will also visit.

Did not get to Kuala Lumpur; ship docked at the other dock, thus we could not get to the train station.

Singapore is accessible. We took the metro from the terminal everyplace. That was before The Gardens by the Bay were established. Enlarge Google map and you can determine where the interesting sights are and the respective metro stations.

There was not any way for us to get into Ho Chi Minh, thus we just wandered around the port. Was not thrilled with the area, trash everywhere.

I do not have any idea of your interest, however, “Help The Cambodian Children” is located in Sihanoukville. They were a struggling organization in 2009. I contacted them to see if we could visit and if we could bring anything. At that time some companies had donated sewing machines and computers with printers. Thus they were hoping for material yardage, ink cartridges, craft paper, tooth brushes and clothing. With the sewing machines and printers, they could make things to sell. My contact located a young man with a bicycle type rickshaw to pick us up and return us to the port . We visited the school, the children were wonderful. They sang songs and put on a little skit for us and showed us around the school. After we left, our driver took us on an extensive tour, thus we got to see a lot of the area. It was a very enjoyable day. Another group from the ship took clothing.

Bangkok (Laem Chabang). We had an overnight in Bangkok, so I arranged a small tour. We only filled one limo. I think there was nine of us. We were picked up around 8:00 am and did not get back to the ship until midnight. Our scooters rode in limo trunk. Once we got to Bangkok, we did not stop until we sat down for dinner and show that night. Unfortunately, you do not have that much time. It is almost a two hour drive to Bangkok. Oh, for your wife, I wore culottes which pulled up when sitting on the scooter. I had to stand up to prove that my legs were sufficiently covered to get in the palace area... and over 70, who wants to see my legs.

There is a lot of beautiful things to see and do. I'm glad that you are getting out there to see all. I'm sure you have found that people all over the world are wonderful. There were times we had people come to our rescue that we could not even understand. However, a thank you, hand shake or hug, we all knew it was a wonderful meeting.

Betty

Are you on the May 13 cruise? I looked at the itinerary. You have some interesting ports to visit. Our cruise was from Shanghai to Singapore, Royal Caribbean's maiden voyage out of Shanghai. Plus, we stayed on the ship all the way to Rome. This is a brief summary of what I remember about ports you will also visit.

Did not get to Kuala Lumpur; ship docked at the other dock, thus we could not get to the train station.

Singapore is accessible. We took the metro from the terminal everyplace. That was before The Gardens by the Bay were established. Enlarge Google map and you can determine where the interesting sights are and the respective metro stations.

There was not any way for us to get into Ho Chi Minh, thus we just wandered around the port. Was not thrilled with the area, trash everywhere.

I do not have any idea of your interest, however, “Help The Cambodian Children” is located in Sihanoukville. They were a struggling organization in 2009. I contacted them to see if we could visit and if we could bring anything. At that time some companies had donated sewing machines and computers with printers. Thus they were hoping for material yardage, ink cartridges, craft paper, tooth brushes and clothing. With the sewing machines and printers, they could make things to sell. My contact located a young man with a bicycle type rickshaw to pick us up and return us to the port . We visited the school, the children were wonderful. They sang songs and put on a little skit for us and showed us around the school. After we left, our driver took us on an extensive tour, thus we got to see a lot of the area. It was a very enjoyable day. Another group from the ship took clothing.

Bangkok (Laem Chabang). We had an overnight in Bangkok, so I arranged a small tour. We only filled one limo. I think there was nine of us. We were picked up around 8:00 am and did not get back to the ship until midnight. Our scooters rode in limo trunk. Once we got to Bangkok, we did not stop until we sat down for dinner and show that night. Unfortunately, you do not have that much time. It is almost a two hour drive to Bangkok. Oh, for your wife, I wore culottes which pulled up when sitting on the scooter. I had to stand up to prove that my legs were sufficiently covered to get in the palace area... and over 70, who wants to see my legs.

There is a lot of beautiful things to see and do. I'm glad that you are getting out there to see all. I'm sure you have found that people all over the world are wonderful. There were times we had people come to our rescue that we could not even understand. However, a thank you, hand shake or hug, we all knew it was a wonderful meeting.

Betty

Yes we're doing the 26 day round trip from Fremantle and it should be a comfortable journey as we've booked a mini suite (we need the space for the power chair, wheelchair and all my wife's clothes!).

We did the ports east of Singapore in 2014 on the Sapphire Princess so know what to expect there. But we haven't done the west coast of Malaysia and Phuket so it will be a new experience for us. I hope we can get ashore as much as possible.

Singapore is only a 5 hour flight from us and we've been there a few times. I can't say I like it much, too much concrete and glass. Some of the new structures are interesting as are Gardens by the Bay, and I love the Botanic Gardens, could spend many happy hours there.

We went to KL in 2001, just a few days before 9/11, and wondered why armed soldiers were wandering through the airport. They said they were "looking for someone" and then, a few days later, the planes hit. I've often wondered if there was more to it as I seem to recall that one or more of the terrorists had an association with KL.

This time we just plan to visit Klang and not worry about the long drive to KL. I believe Little India is worth a visit in Klang.