Portable insulin refrigerator/cooler

pcur

My husband takes insulin once a day, and we decided to buy this portable insulin fridge/cooler. We are going for 28 days on 3 cruise lines, then flying to visit relatives. So, we have to take his insulin supply with us. Our HMO won't mail insulin, and doesn't have a pharmacy where we are staying.

I've researched here on CC about storing insulin, but one of our cabins won't have a fridge, we have found the cabin fridges run a wide range of "barely cool to cold", and we don't want to store and retrieve the insulin from the medical center on 3 ships.

So, we just bought this from Amazon:

71k6OUZuZRL._SL1000_.jpg

It's very small and lightweight, comes with a rechargable battery pack, wall and car charger, and we can fit 6 bottles of insulin in it. It comes with a carrying case and shoulder strap, too. I purchased a separate power bank that can be used as a back-up power source for the car charger for $10.

There are other models with USB cords, but the inside dimensions didn't appear to hold as many of his insulin bottles.

My question is about getting through airport security. I know they deal with diabetics all day long with their supplies, but this little fridge with the battery pack inside isn't going to look too good going through the x-ray machine. So, besides taking the prescription printout, plus the original sticker label for the insulin, is there anything else we can do to facilitate getting through security?

I'm thinking we should remove the battery pack completely just before going through security screening, connect it to the auxiliary power bank, and place the batteries visibly in the bin to go through x-ray. We can put the battery pack back in after security.

I wouldn't worry so much about TSA. They may take it out for a secondary swipe, but that would be about it. They are very used to seeing all types of medical appliances going through there. Don't forget, too, that medical appliances fly free and do not count against your carry on count.

Thank you.

Yes, he travels with a CPAP, and we may just put the little cooler in that bag temporarily.

It's supposed to vent while it's cooling. The carrying case has netting where the venting area is. This is a very well designed device and accessories.

My husband takes insulin once a day, and we decided to buy this portable insulin fridge/cooler. We are going for 28 days on 3 cruise lines, then flying to visit relatives. So, we have to take his insulin supply with us. Our HMO won't mail insulin, and doesn't have a pharmacy where we are staying.

I've researched here on CC about storing insulin, but one of our cabins won't have a fridge, we have found the cabin fridges run a wide range of "barely cool to cold", and we don't want to store and retrieve the insulin from the medical center on 3 ships.

So, we just bought this from Amazon:

71k6OUZuZRL._SL1000_.jpg

It's very small and lightweight, comes with a rechargable battery pack, wall and car charger, and we can fit 6 bottles of insulin in it. It comes with a carrying case and shoulder strap, too. I purchased a separate power bank that can be used as a back-up power source for the car charger for $10.

There are other models with USB cords, but the inside dimensions didn't appear to hold as many of his insulin bottles.

My question is about getting through airport security. I know they deal with diabetics all day long with their supplies, but this little fridge with the battery pack inside isn't going to look too good going through the x-ray machine. So, besides taking the prescription printout, plus the original sticker label for the insulin, is there anything else we can do to facilitate getting through security?

I'm thinking we should remove the battery pack completely just before going through security screening, connect it to the auxiliary power bank, and place the batteries visibly in the bin to go through x-ray. We can put the battery pack back in after security.

FYI Insulin can be stored at Room Temperature (59F -77F )for 28 Days . The same with an open vial. The issue isn't TSA so much but whether you checked with all airlines to see if the portable refridgerator is allowed on the plane. Just because its holding medical supplies doesn't mean that the airlines has to allow it.

When working I had to travel with pre-filled syringes . Several of the airlines did not approve the type of item you pruchased. I just purchased a small lunch cooler. Placed all syringes in double zip-lock bags. Placed ice in a double zip locked bags as well. Just refilled the cooler with ice as necessary. Literally traveled the world using that little cooler and never had a problem . Didn't have to worry about electrical connections or batteries failing.

We are traveling for much longer than 28 days, so we have to keep the extra supply cold.

Thanks for the advice about checking with the airline (Southwest), and I do have a small insulated "bento lunch box" that he can temporarily store the vials in while on the plane, if necessary.

But, for the cruises, we want to use the little cooler with the wall charger or the auxiliary power bank.

I think you need to check with Southwest and any other airline you are using to make sure the item can be on the plane at all. I have had good luck with calling the "Special Needs" desk at American Airlines about flying with durable medical equipment. Make sure you get anything you are told in writing. I have had trouble with gate agents (mostly overseas) not knowing what to do but an e-mail I can show them eases the process. Good luck.

I think you need to check with Southwest and any other airline you are using to make sure the item can be on the plane at all. I have had good luck with calling the "Special Needs" desk at American Airlines about flying with durable medical equipment. Make sure you get anything you are told in writing. I have had trouble with gate agents (mostly overseas) not knowing what to do but an e-mail I can show them eases the process. Good luck.

I did check with Southwest was told just to disconnect the batteries from the unit while flying. She seemed familiar with the unit I was talking about.

We will use the precharged powerbank with the car plug to run the cooler while we are flying. Plus, I'll take the little insulated bento box as a back-up with an ice pack.