What to do in Honolulu when your flight home is at night

Luv my furbaby

have to be out of hotel at 11am and our flight is not until 10:45 pm. Any suggestions for the day?:cool:

Here is an idea from a contributor to CC who had a similar problem:

"Well, I am back from my POA cruise. Just got off the ship 12/31/16. We had a fantastic cruise - I posted a quick review on the NCL cc board. We used Johnnycab for all our travel on Oahu - airport to hotel, hotel to Pearl Harbor and back to hotel, hotel to cruise ship, cruise ship to island tour. We had not one complaint about their service. They confirmed all trips the day before, were there when scheduled (or there early!!) and their prices were quite reasonable.

When our cruise was over, Mark from Johnnycab was in the parking lot right next to the ship to pick us up. He asked us what we wanted to do, and then gave us some ideas also. We stopped at Leonard's bakery for amazing malafadas (donuts with or without fillings - they make them to order - long line but it went fast), went to the blowhole, to a garden, scenic overlooks, several beaches. He recommended a place for lunch. He will take you wherever you want. He stays with the van as we spent as much or as little time as we wanted at each stop, so our luggage/backpacks were safe. We offered him lunch, but he brought his own and ate in van. We got to the airport at 1:50, which was perfect. Tour was 5 hours, and they charge $50 per hour. (so it was $250 for the 4 of us, plus we tipped him) Large van with a/c. Plenty of room for the 4 of us, plus our luggage and carryons. I would not hesitate to use Johnnycab if we ever get back to Hawaii!"

I've had that late flight frequently. We've mostly just paid for another night in our condo and once when we were staying at the Hyatt we left our bags with the concierge and rented a pool cabana for the day and then went for dinner.

I like this plan. Many hotels will give you a late check out, especially if you are a member of their frequent stay program. Renting chairs and umbrella in front of the Outrigger Waikiki would give you the option of leaving luggage with bell desk, and having food and beverage from Dukes. They have afternoon and evening music which would be a nice way to end a visit to Hawaii. Ending at the Banyan Court at the Moana Surfrider is also a wonderful experience. They have Hawaiian music in the evening. Another way to spend a large part of the day would be to take the Honolulu Museum of Art's tour of Doris Duke's estate, Shangri La. It is in a beautiful location. It does not operate every day and requires reservations. The museum takes guests in a small van to and from the property. There is a great outdoor restaurant at the museum to enjoy before or after the tour. I love taking the late flight so that I enjoy my last day in Hawaii up to the last minute. Cherie

have to be out of hotel at 11am and our flight is not until 10:45 pm. Any suggestions for the day?:cool:

We just returned yesterday. Our flight was at 10 pm on Monday night. We booked our condo until Tuesday. SO GLAD WE DID! We were able to completely enjoy ourselves right up until the last minute. Had our showers and got ourselves all ready late in the afternoon. Never felt like we were "hanging around waiting to leave". The late flight home is exhausting enough. I can't imagine how we would have felt had we not been able to relax on that last day.

• 2 weeks later...

We have done a couple of things; we saved the Pearl Harbor day for the last day and spent the day there with the Arizona, mighty Mo. and air museum, was long and by the time we returned the rent a car and made it to the plane we where ready to go to sleep. The best thing we have found since then is to go to the Bishop Museum we find it relaxing to look at all the exhibits, they also have a lot of programs that are enjoyable to. The down side both close at 5, but we then head to the nearest L&L for our last taste of Hawaii.

As others wrote you have to leave your room, but you don't need to leave the ressort or if you do, you can easy store your bags there. Everything depends what you did already on the days before....Pearl Harbor, Beachtime, even a Circle Island Tour can all be done within that day (I for my side have a flight at 7 pm and will do a private Circle Island Tour with an (early) drop off at the Airport... another idea if you have not done that yet, is the hike up to Diamond Head (it takes round-trip about 2 hours)

• 2 months later...
As others wrote you have to leave your room, but you don't need to leave the ressort or if you do, you can easy store your bags there. Everything depends what you did already on the days before....Pearl Harbor, Beachtime, even a Circle Island Tour can all be done within that day (I for my side have a flight at 7 pm and will do a private Circle Island Tour with an (early) drop off at the Airport... another idea if you have not done that yet, is the hike up to Diamond Head (it takes round-trip about 2 hours)

What did you do with your luggage while you were on the circle island tour?

Could you share which company you used and whether you would reccomend them? This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Thanks.

Could you share which company you used and whether you would reccomend them? This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Thanks.

I went with them, and it was quite nice. They have of course your usual Circle Island Tour, but if you have something special in mind, you can tell the guide/Driver and he will take you there as well.

For me it was the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in the Punchbowl Crater above Honolulu.

And if you don't like a stopp, you don't need to stopp, for example I didn't care for the coffee or pineapple plantation, so we just drove past them...

https://www.oahuprivatetours.com/

Totally understand cb at sea's response but for me...if it is my last day in Hawaii, the weather is good, the water looks good, I will shower at a beachside shower, change to dry clothes, and fly home with sand between my toes. I think that Onyx007 has given a great recommendation for planning a last day that can give you whatever you want your last day to be. Cherie

I went with them, and it was quite nice. They have of course your usual Circle Island Tour, but if you have something special in mind, you can tell the guide/Driver and he will take you there as well.

For me it was the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in the Punchbowl Crater above Honolulu.

And if you don't like a stopp, you don't need to stopp, for example I didn't care for the coffee or pineapple plantation, so we just drove past them...

https://www.oahuprivatetours.com/

Thanks for the information. This would be fantastic for a small group, for 2 people I find it a little steep. However it has given me the idea that we will rent a car and do it on our own. That solves the luggage issue and it puts us in control of our schedule, and gets us to the airport without needing a cab or shuttle. We won't get the commentary that one gets with a tour, but It still works best for us.

• 3 weeks later...
.. another idea if you have not done that yet, is the hike up to Diamond Head (it takes round-trip about 2 hours)
Which is a great thing to do (I've done it several times) but you'll definitely get hot & sweaty and want a shower before your long flight. As noted, many hotels let you check out, keep your bags with the porter, and if they have a gym/health club (like the Hale Koa does), you can still have "shower privileges" after you've checked out.