How full is my cruise?

Solitarycruiser

I think it's the Wind that will be in St. Bart's on 16 March. Will we be able to see the regatta from the ship? It does look like fun.

I can't vouch for the actual date of the regatta but if it's happening during your trip, you'll be surrounded by incredible yachts. The cruise ship docks at St. Bart's main harbor in The capital city of Gustavia.

I can't wait to go back, but I'm just as happy if I miss the regatta. It's a sight to see, but I prefer less hubbub. :)

Unibok.... Yes it is the Wind on the 16th..... The links posted confirm the dates they race. (Apologies to Doug for the Muse confusion).

I took this from the Wind at 2017s regatta. Almost booked 2018 to see again.

Edited by les37b

I can't vouch for the actual date of the regatta but if it's happening during your trip, you'll be surrounded by incredible yachts. The cruise ship docks at St. Bart's main harbor in The capital city of Gustavia.

:)

We were anchored a fair way out from the harbour. Much further than I expected..... The tender was at least a 20 minute journey. Probably more.

Unibok.... Yes it is the Wind on the 16th..... The links posted confirm the dates they race. (Apologies to Doug for the Muse confusion).

I took this from the Wind at 2017s regatta. Almost booked 2018 to see again.

Omigosh, les37b! Thank you for posting that video!! Now I am really in the mood to set sail. Just over a month to go, while I wait eagerly here in snowy Vermont.

My St. Bart's snorkel excursion was cancelled, and I'd been thinking that by that point in the trip I may just want a quiet day on the ship. From your video, it looks like I'll have plenty to watch!

Also, nice editing on the video. I like how you end with the lowering of the sails as the song moves to chimes. 31 days and counting -- can't wait!

Omigosh, les37b! Thank you for posting that video!! Now I am really in the mood to set sail. Just over a month to go, while I wait eagerly here in snowy Vermont.

My St. Bart's snorkel excursion was cancelled, and I'd been thinking that by that point in the trip I may just want a quiet day on the ship. From your video, it looks like I'll have plenty to watch!

Also, nice editing on the video. I like how you end with the lowering of the sails as the song moves to chimes. 31 days and counting -- can't wait!

You're very welcome.

The sailing doesn't really start until the afternoon, so you've plenty of time to tender over to Gustavia for a stroll around. Plus you will get to see many of the yachts on your way in. We past the Maltese Falcon with its sails down and masts turn. I remember at the time thinking " that looks a bit fake and "cheap". (I use cheap subjectively there!).... Boy was I wrong. What a sight that super yacht was in full flow. Its as high tech and space age as you can imagine. One I'll never forget. It's in my video half way through.

When I got home, I found some drone footage taken the day I was there... And one point of that you can see the Wind and just how far out it is Awesome video. I had my drone with me, but with the airport so close, completely illegal for me to fly... This guy may have a commercial license I guess.

Silver wind can be seen at 11m 12s or so.

It's a fantastic video with super drone shots. The Maltese Falcon features heavily.

I don't think anyone could be anything other than impressed at that.

Les, thank you for the clarification. I’ve only ever flown in to St. Barth before. This will be my first time cruising there. I should have realized we would anchor and tender in.

Norcalman, I’m looking forward to meeting you! This cruise can’t come soon enough for me, either. You’re signed up for the Meet & Mingle, aren’t you?

Les, thank you for the clarification. I’ve only ever flown in to St. Barth before. This will be my first time cruising there. I should have realized we would anchor and tender in.

It might be that ships do drop anchor nearer normally but further out on “regatta” days. I’m just saying how it was for me, though given it’s a regatta day, I would be surprised if it was different for your day. It all adds to the anticipation tendering in on regatta day!

Wow... you flew in!

I bet that was a bit scary? I’ve seen some clips. (I would have gone for a look at the airfield, though I actually didn’t see any planes on the day.)

I can’t say we anchored at the same spot at St Bart’s in March 2016 but it was a ways out, probably the longest tender ride I can remember in 20+ years of cruising. Actually was kind of interesting as we passed a number of super yachts that were also anchored quite a ways from the town dock.

Flying in to St. Barth is definitely not for the faint hearted. Your plane has to take a nosedive as soon as you clear the mountain. Also, all planes landing in St. Barth are small, so even the biggest plane we came in on once had nothing between the cockpit and passengers so you see that tarmac coming right at you. Then, it seems as soon as you level out, you come to the end of the runway and nearly plow into the bathers on the beach. Definitely an experience!

I can’t say we anchored at the same spot at St Bart’s in March 2016 but it was a ways out, probably the longest tender ride I can remember in 20+ years of cruising. Actually was kind of interesting as we passed a number of super yachts that were also anchored quite a ways from the town dock.

I was taking a keen interest to where the Wind was going prior to my cruise. Certainly all cruises in the spring of 2017 appeared to anchor at this point. It looked odd in marine traffic... I thought the GPS locator must have been wrong. To have been so far out. Your tender experience sounded similar to my own, so it’s likely the same spot. The Wind certainly wasn’t visible from Gustavia.

Flying in to St. Barth is definitely not for the faint hearted. Your plane has to take a nosedive as soon as you clear the mountain. Also, all planes landing in St. Barth are small, so even the biggest plane we came in on once had nothing between the cockpit and passengers so you see that tarmac coming right at you. Then, it seems as soon as you level out, you come to the end of the runway and nearly plow into the bathers on the beach. Definitely an experience!

Yes.... exciting or scary..... or both. I know I’d be up for it.

Did you fly in to stay or for a cruise?

Les, before my husband and I had kids we would vacation on St. Barth in February for a week. It was something we did a few different years, till my eldest came along (about 9 months after our last vacation there!)

By the way, my eldest is 21 years old and has multiple medical issues, starting with a perinatal stroke. For 21 years we’ve lovingly cared for him but it was a round the clock job for my husband and myself. Our son moved into a host home in October last year and is adjusting to his new home very well. This cruise is my husband and my first trip together since he was born. Kind of a second honeymoon/getting reacquainted with each other trip. I can’t wait!

Edited by napria

Les, before my husband and I had kids we would vacation on St. Barth in February for a week. It was something we did a few different years, till my eldest came along (about 9 months after our last vacation there!)

By the way, my eldest is 21 years old and has multiple medical issues, starting with a perinatal stroke. For 21 years we’ve lovingly cared for him but it was a round the clock job for my husband and myself. Our son moved into a host home in October last year and is adjusting to his new home very well. This cruise is my husband and my first trip together since he was born. Kind of a second honeymoon/getting reacquainted with each other trip. I can’t wait!

I was going to post a light hearted reply on a very similar theme of our visit to Jamaica.... Ocho is 19 now! Lol (ok not really his name but it could well have been!) Haha

He has autism and recently also type1 diabetes and has gone through schooling with support and a statement of education needs, which was converted to the next incarnation “educational health care plan” only last year.

We didn’t really give him much hope but he has surprised us all with his GCSE results and finally and ended his A levels with an A*. an A and C... which is mind boggling. What the future holds, we don’t know and I expect he’ll not be flying the nest for some considerable time.... so you have my empathy and hope your new freedom give a new lease. I know how trying it can be.

In the meantime all this regatta talk got me looking at 2019 cruises but there is nothing in port for the show on any SS ship unfortunately.