Seabourn Odyssey in Basseterre, Guadeloupe

cariad1000

We're on Seabourn Odyssey 31st March cruise and our itinerary shows that we're docked at Basseterre, Guadeloupe on 2nd April. Does anyone know if the Odyssey docks at Deshaies, Basseterre, or is our itinerary wrong and we're actually docking at Point a Pitre on Grand Terre?

I'd be grateful for any information.

We're hoping to visit Plage de la Perle so hoping that we're in Basseterre.

We visited Plage de la Perle and Grande Anse when we were anchored in Deshaies last year ( which is lovely) and is nearest to those beaches. In fact we walked back from Grand Anse to Deshaies. Possibly the itinerary is referring to Deshaies being on the Basseterre part of Guadaloupe.

Should be possible to get a taxi but Basseterre a bit of a distance from Deshaies. Do know that the taxi drivers are keen to use 'Death in Paradise' as a sales point. Seabourn were doing excursions to both the Botanical Gardens and a Rum Plantation then a beach visit using the area around Hotel Fort Royal.Maybe check that out . If itinerary says Deshaies have you been notified of change of port? Get your TA to check.

We are on the Odyssey now on your itinerary. The town we docked in on Guadeloupe was actually Basse Terre. It's not nice at all. We wished we had been in Deshaies.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a newcomer to this part of the Caribbean I enjoyed Basse Terre port and being able to walk off the ship at the dock. The community was very welcoming and very happy to have the Odyssey dock there in November.

As a newcomer to this part of the Caribbean I enjoyed Basse Terre port and being able to walk off the ship at the dock. The community was very welcoming and very happy to have the Odyssey dock there in November.

We docked in early January and agree with you comment. For the ladies reading this post, there is a shoe store in the street opposite the cruise terminal which sells French and other European shoes at very, very affordable prices.

I've had a look at "What's in Port" and "Cruisemapper" and both sites show the Odyssey docking in Point a Pitre, Guadeloupe. I'm going to check with my TA today, but I'm not very happy as the itinerary clearly states that we dock in Basseterre and Point a Pitre is in Grand Terre. I'll update with any news.

Cariad 1000

We were at Pointe a Pitre 2 years ago and caught a local bus to St. Anne and taxi back. Low level town with lagoon beaches with plenty of shade (mainly filled by the French on holiday). However there were lots of taxis at the dock selling a trip to Deshaies and the Botanical Gardens etc. Beaches are certainly more attractive in that area. I think the cost then was around 100 euros+ but if there are 4 of you not too bad. And the road there good. Seabourn must be offering an excursion to that area as the Botanical Gardens are a key selling point on Guadaloupe. I appreciate you wanted Deshaies but we have found on other visits to both Basseterre and Pointe a Pitre that they are interesting places and the people friendly and welcoming. Speaking a little French helps and also having euros.

Oh thank you cruiseryder, that's cheered me up. I have looked at the Seabourn excursions but there's nothing to that part of the island, I was surprised. Possibly they will add more excursions or I'll certainly look at the options you mention.