Northwest Passage

JenBelle

Looking for information: I vaguely remember on our cruise to Norway last summer, the Expedition Team talking about Seabourn cruising the Northwest Passage? Anyone have any info/insights on this actually happening? Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Crystal did 2 years of traversing the northwest Passage and now they are not allowed to continue that because of ecological concerns.

Ponant are traversing the NW Passage this August, I wonder if there are ship size limitations now ?

Crystal did 2 years of traversing the northwest Passage and now they are not allowed to continue that because of ecological concerns.

I followed the blog/CC postings of one of the Crystal passengers on this unusual cruise. While he appeared to be a great guy and gentle soul, I found the descriptions of the experiences to be underwhelming. And in the face of the potential ecological and cultural degradation, I am happy to read that Crystal's cruises in this area are not continuing.

The Northwest Cruise was amazing. It was one of my highlights of cruising.

Did in in 2016 and the trip that others took in 2017 was just if not more amazing.

I would highly recommend it.

Crystal didn't repeat it in 2018 because the demand would not have been there and it would require keeping the ship in Alaska in 2018 and that is not something that they wanted to do. They were welcomed back there.

It's not just about size. It is about all the preparation that is necessary for a trip like this.

There is a small time frame in which you can do this because of ice.

Keith

The Northwest Cruise was amazing. It was one of my highlights of cruising.

Did in in 2016 and the trip that others took in 2017 was just if not more amazing.

I would highly recommend it.

Crystal didn't repeat it in 2018 because the demand would not have been there and it would require keeping the ship in Alaska in 2018 and that is not something that they wanted to do. They were welcomed back there.

It's not just about size. It is about all the preparation that is necessary for a trip like this.

There is a small time frame in which you can do this because of ice.

Keith

Actually the Canadian government said no to any future non ice rated ships and large ships. They are not prepared in case of a major incident to get 1500 (pass + crew) plus people off the ship in a fire would have been near impossible.

Of course (as you know) their future expedition ship will likely do this. But many Expeditions are doing the Russian side as it is more welcoming (Hapag-Lloyd and Silversea).

I was just going through the newest itineraries today, and while I didn't see a Northwest Passage trip, I did notice a lot of unusual ports on this one:

http://www.seabourn.com/details?voyageCode=6935

So if you just want to cross Nunavut off your bucket list, that would do it!

Reading that itinerary confirms that I would have made a lousy Viking.