Electrical plugs on Explorer Suites

mrstanley

I have 2 kinds of electrical make up mirrors. One with a 220 V plug and the other with a 110 V plug. Same for my own hairdryer and flatiron. We travel to Europe once or twice a year and it's nice to have my own European

appliances to use.

I have 2 kinds of electrical make up mirrors. One with a 220 V plug and the other with a 110 V plug. Same for my own hairdryer and flatiron. We travel to Europe once or twice a year and it's nice to have my own European

appliances to use.

That’s ideal. We travel to Canada as often as time and £ permits and I bought a hair styler there many years ago and that travels on every cruise with me now. My old GHD straighteners have an interchangeable plug which is handy too. The things we do to look good :D . Jean.

We always bring a power strip when we sail on Regent (or other cruise lines) because we want/need the plugs to be convenient for us. It is not unusual for us to be charging a laptop, iPhone for photos, tablet, hairdryer and curling iron. It is important to have a power strip without a surge suppressor as it is a fire hazard. We purchased two of these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZERKKX/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . They come with an adapter. These are likely also available in the U.K. - the ones I found had a surge suppressor so I didn't link them.

In a F1 suite, there are USB ports next to the bed on both sides (very convenient), so, when we are on the Explorer, we tend to pack only one power strip.

You may have to copy and paste the link -- or, go to Amazon.com and search "power strip without surge suppressor".

Hope that this helps.

Edited by Travelcat2

We Will be on the Explorer soon in a G1 suite and saw reviews and pictures that indicate there is:

1. A std US power plug

2. A European power plug

3. A USB plug for phones and tablets

at each bed nightstand.

Has anyone been able to confirm this and could someone post a picture of these plugs at the nightstand. I assume the plugs in the G cabins might be similar to the F, D and E staterooms.

We would to know this so we can decide if any extension cords or adapters need to be brought.

Thanks, Rick

In the D - F cabins there was only one 110V plug on the nightstand that I saw and it was down below near the floor - not very convenient to get to but still fairly accessible. The 110V outlet in the bathroom is a shaver only outlet so it won't power things like hair dryers or curling irons.

Can't remember how many 110V outlets there were on the desk, but you can either get an outlet strip without a surge suppressor like TC mentioned or if you're mostly going to be charging low power devices like phones, tablets and kindles, a 4, 5, or 6 port USB power hub is ideal.

Lots of options for standard devices, but anything specialized may take more planning.

Also be sure to check your power 'bricks' for the allowable input voltage - my camera battery charger has a 110 plug on it but it will accept any input voltage so I just use a 220V-110V adapter and plug that one in off to the side.

I always travel with a ton of devices and I've never run out of plugs on any Regent ship.

The electrical make-up mirror I want to bring has a European 220V plug. I bought this in Europe and it's great to travel with as it

folds flat in my suitcase. As I like to sit at the desk in the cabin to apply make-up I need to know if there is a plug at the desk for me

to use with this mirror. If not I can bring my USA mirror. This is the only device I'm concerned about using as all my other devices are

USA voltage.

• 4 weeks later...
Where does it say OFFICIALLY that you can bring a power strip if it has no surge protection? All I see is on the FAQ page is that Electrical Extension Cords are not allowed. It does not say only surge protected ones. From what I understand, surge protection doesn't matter as none are allowed. So please tell me I am wrong with hard evidence and not just what you think is correct.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

It looks like you posted this message on the wrong board.

FYI:

Regent Seven Seas Cruises® does not allow the following PROHIBITED ITEMS per our Guest Ticket Contract Item 13:

https://www.rssc.com/sites/default/files/2017-08/prohibited_items_RSSC_082517.pdf

Nothing prohibited about any type of extension cords or power strips. Although "flat iron" are prohibited. Didn't know that one. Unhappy DW. :mad:

J

There could be a language difference here. While flat iron hair straighteners are usually fine, "irons" that you use to iron clothing is not permitted. No issue with hot rollers, hair dryers (although hair dryers are already in your suite so you don't need to pack your own) or power strips. Mine have been visible on all of our cruises and there has never been an issue.

In terms of power strips with and without surge protectors, I read on another Cruise Board that power strips with surge protectors are a fire hazard. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thank you for sharing this info! I am now very concerned. I need my heating pad and heating wraps with lithium batteries for true medical reasons; hopefully they won’t present a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Suggest that you tell your TA or Regent directly so that they can make a note in your file.

Thank you for sharing this info! I am now very concerned. I need my heating pad and heating wraps with lithium batteries for true medical reasons; hopefully they won’t present a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I use a portable oxygen concentrator. The batteries are lithium. I also use a scooter, powered by a lithium battery. When we travel, I advise the airline and follow their rules and complete their forms. When we make our reservations for a Regent cruise, I advise them to make a note of my needs.

Never have had a problem except once, flying from Chaing Mai Thailand to Siem Reap Cambodia. Although I received written approval from the corporate headquarters, the pilot refused to allow me to use my POC. onboard. Long story, but I stayed on the plane and made it.

These days, it's so much more common to travel with lithium batteries for health purposes.

Just follow the rules, especially on airlines with lithium batteries. Get the forms, and follow all directions. You should be fine.

Sheila

The electrical make-up mirror I want to bring has a European 220V plug. I bought this in Europe and it's great to travel with as it

folds flat in my suitcase. As I like to sit at the desk in the cabin to apply make-up I need to know if there is a plug at the desk for me

to use with this mirror. If not I can bring my USA mirror. This is the only device I'm concerned about using as all my other devices are

USA voltage.

Plugs don't "know" about voltage. You can use a US plug on device that takes 220v if you have an adaptor plug to put on it. Check the actual voltage on your mirror - if 220/110v (since it is a travel mirror) and you like travelling with it getting an adaptor plug for a US socket will only cost a dollar or two and then you can take it anywhere in the US. If it is only 220v then it needs 220v input.

With the option of both European (Italian really I think because unfortunately plugs all over Europe differ) and US voltage you can then have twice the number of outlets! This works well for us but we do also carry a power strip.

• Like 1