Live Machu Picchu (pre cruise), Mariner Lima to Buenos Aires 23 Jan -13 February

WesW

Thank you so much Wes and Ida for taking me along on your travels. I have been housebound for the last number of weeks, and have really loved traveling with you both to places still on to visit list. Your posts have been wonderful. Wishing you a safe journey home.

Gilly, we had a blast in the Tango masters class as you can see from the snaps below. Absolutely, our biking tours in the Uruguayan ports were super fun. My sister would be with you in the knitting yarn shop but Ida and I had an itch in our ballroom dancing feet.

You’re so welcome Nigel, suit maid, txladycruiser for your kind blog words and wishes for a safe journey home.

Last post from the Mariner as we await our transfer to the Buenos Aires airport in about 90 minutes.

This morning we enjoyed an outstanding masters Tango Class taught at an iconic/century old Buenos Aires Tango Tanqueria, La Ventana.

Please enjoy a few phots as Ida and I thoroughly enjoyed this Tango Dance Class.

e5200778d18c0f5f8093944e2ae52530.jpg

a1ea1d7658213a43d72e66c2a20c43e0.jpg

426024a89600377f75438e85882b2a15.jpg

bd55c85fd4f28cc4e293d2894f00c8b9.jpg

2edaa2394cac641c576c36ff1e9ac105.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sitting on Lobby Bar balcony at the Melia Iguazu (formerly Sheraton) having a wonderful dinner and drinks. Have spent last two days seeing the falls; a wonderful experience. We started in Machu Picchu, saw Patagonia and Chilean Fjords, and now Iguazu falls. We didn't get off the ship in some of the other ports; still a wonderful trip.

Marc

Thanks Paula--arrived home yesterday after a generally terrific Mariner South America voyage and a magnificent private visit/tour to Machu Picchu pre-cruise.

Marc; hope Arlene and you continue to enjoy your post cruise in Iguazu Falls.

We ended our cruise on a frustrating note; via coordination with traditional disembark form and the Desitnation Embarkation form letter response, we were notified to have our bags out of our suite from 3:30pm to 4pm. At 3:45pm, Monday called Reception and asked to have our bags taken. At 3:55pm we ended up schlepping four bags from our suite door to port shuttle, then off the port shuttle and onward thru the very looooong Buenos Aires cruise terminal and finally to our private transfer. This is the second Regent cruise (first was in Bali on the Voyager four years ago) that unfortunately, Regent has made us feel like orphans (at end of cruise) as independent travelers vs continuing to use Regent transfer/tours.

Sheila, you’re very welcome & wonderful advice and absolutely we’re keeping the big picture memories top of mind (Machu Picchu, wonder Mariner ports (e.g., Puerto Chacabuco, Chilean Fjords, Punta Del Este) and most importantly Mariner crew, and wonderful Mariner guests we met and shared meals, drinks, dancing, excursions with. Explains why we are again boarding the Mariner in ten months for the Circumnavigation of Australia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marc, did you arrange your own travel and tours to Iguazu Falls or use a travel agent? We are trying to figure out how to arrange this on our trip to BA next year. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes we made our own arrangements; actually worked out well.

I used Delta skymiles to book Aerolineas Argentina. 25K round trip in coach. Since I have Skyteam Elite Plus status I had 20KG extra luggage so no problem taking all of our cruise luggage.

I booked Sheraton which changed hands after I booked it to Melia Iguazu. Highly recommend this hotel as in park with fantastic views of falls. Nice to be somewhere able to take siesta when needed.

I booked transfers from airport to hotel through hotel for $25 each way; definitely worth.it. Driver handled buying our park tickets (500 pesos each) and had us to hotel in no time.

There are three walks; they are free. We could have booked Grand Adventure boat ride for 1200 pesos each but decided against it.

We flew up in am; did train and orange walk that afternoon then spent a couple of hours at pool bar balcony. Next day we did Lower Circuit in am; a good siesta; then Upper Circuit in afternoon; followed by a few hours at lobby bar. Final morning we just relaxed.

In BA, I booked transfer from cruise pier to AEP for 339 pesos. I also prebooked a transfer from AEP to EZE for $85 both transfers worked well though drivers didn't speak English.

On the other hand; friends of ours booked independently and had a guide all the steps along the way. We also decided to forego Brazil side even though we have visas; looking at the falls, you do get a different view from Brazil side but all the up close is on Argentina side.

We decided against Regent tour as they had only one night in Iguazu and two nights in BA: we had seen what we wanted to see in BA six years ago on our own. Regent tour included boat trip in afternoon; staying in hotel outside of park; and then one two or three walks between 0800 and 1330 up to your physical stamina; the three walks total 3.5 miles and you have to allow time to enjoy the sights. Strongly recommend doing on your own (either completely on your own or with private guide) than Regent tour.

Hope this helps,

Marc

• 7 months later...
For our last comment on this thread, please see RSSC Fall 2018 Seven Seas Society newsletter story (out yesterday or today) on our Lima to BA voyage at the attachment. Kudos to the editor of the Seven Seas Society newsletter for making our story readable.

That’s a lovely tribute to your interesting and detailed live reports that we all enjoy.

Well done and thanks, Jean.

For our last comment on this thread, please see RSSC Fall 2018 Seven Seas Society newsletter story (out yesterday or today) on our Lima to BA voyage at the attachment. Kudos to the editor of the Seven Seas Society newsletter for making our story readable.

Very nice, Wes.

Like most of us on here we thoroughly enjoyed your enthusiastic reports, you are both quite the inspiration to us all.

Keep living that dream.

Pam.