Transatlantic crossing experiences

cruiseluv - this site is run by Travel Agents which is why we are not permitted to name them as it would could be advertising agents that are not part of CC. It does make sense but is frustrating at times. We can post names of consortiums such as Signatures, Virtuoso and Ensemble.

Really? wow, I learned something new, didnt know this site was run by Travel Agents.

Really? wow, I learned something new, didnt know this site was run by Travel Agents.

Yes - also, Cruise Critic is owned by TripAdvisor (it could be the other way around but I think what I said is accurate). I have the greatest respect for both CC and TripAdvisor which is why I always recommend that people read the rules when posting on CC. It would be nice if we knew which TA's were running this site so that maybe people could use them. My post may be removed as we aren't suppose to post about CC.

You guys are so funny - really gave me a good laugh. I've never eaten snake and are still trying to learn to appreciate oysters. I suspect that if I had nothing to eat, I would eat both! Thanks for the laugh:D

Actually I would rather eat snake (cooked) than a raw oyster. Fried rattlesnake is not bad at all, and won’t give you hepatitis. Now a cooked oyster Rockefeller, I can handle.

I was told that CC and Trip Advisor are paid by certain consortiums such as Virtuoso and Ensemble that does not mean they are the best agents. The luxury lines know who the best are however Forbes which I read has noted the top ones as well. You have to do your own research or talk with others on another social media but as TravelCat mentioned not allowed on CC. As noted, if you are not using a great agency you are leaving money on the table

Actually I would rather eat snake (cooked) than a raw oyster. Fried rattlesnake is not bad at all, and won’t give you hepatitis. Now a cooked oyster Rockefeller, I can handle.

Maybe we should make a special request to have fried rattlesnake onboard :evilsmile:

• Administrators
cruiseluv - this site is run by Travel Agents which is why we are not permitted to name them as it would could be advertising agents that are not part of CC. It does make sense but is frustrating at times. We can post names of consortiums such as Signatures, Virtuoso and Ensemble.

This is absolutely not true. We aren't run by, or beholden to, any travel agency or advertiser on our site. Period. We are proud to be part of the TripAdvisor media group, and our Community Guidelines regarding travel agents are simply to keep these forums free from advertising

There are no TA's running this site!!

Edited by LauraS

• Administrators
I was told that CC and Trip Advisor are paid by certain consortiums such as Virtuoso and Ensemble that does not mean they are the best agents. The luxury lines know who the best are however Forbes which I read has noted the top ones as well. You have to do your own research or talk with others on another social media but as TravelCat mentioned not allowed on CC. As noted, if you are not using a great agency you are leaving money on the table

Shaking head. Where does this info come from? Paid by meaning what? Do we have advertisements on our site? Of course we do. Has any single one of them ever had input into the guidelines I personally have had in place for 20 years? Emphatically no.

Really sorry Laura - I read this years ago on CC and assumed that this was the reason that we couldn’t mention TA’s.

The issue of TA’s is confusing and I would love to see more information on this. It seems (not saying that this is true) that some people use their email addresses and are known for using their email address to enable them to share TA information while other members are not able to give their email addresses to share the same information.

I think that we all want to follow the rules which are clear except on this topic.

Thanks much!

Being a Destination Expert (for Switzerland) on Trip Advisor I was slightly aware of the link between CC and TA - now I know for sure. Thanks, Laura!! It would be great if the TA forums had moderators like you to step in when needed. We have them on TA but they work very much in the background. And to be honest I am never quite sure whom to go to with issues on TA. Exception is the French language forums where TA Alexandra is very pro-active!

Have been thinking about this issue that I've been wrong about for years. It does make sense however that some TA's are advertising on CC and it isn't exactly fair for us to be "advertising" our own TA's.

Gerry, in terms of our CC "Host Dan" he watches the boards like a hawk and, In my opinion, there is no reason why he needs to chime in to talk about CC rules as it is our responsibility to read them and follow them. We (members) are not suppose to talk about CC rules at alI. So, I really appreciate Laura posting on this thread and allowing us to discuss this somewhat confusing topic.

Hoping that we can get back on topic:halo:

On this thread, we have somehow managed to discuss transatlantic crossings, travel agents, and Trip Advisor. All of which are referenced in places as TA. Confused yet? ;)

I've always found TA (transatlantic crossing and travel agents) confusing and now we have Trip Advisor. People are reluctant to make changes as evidenced by posters still calling the Thread Starter (CC's designation) the "OP" while others (myself included) updated to using TS which to me makes much more sense.

In my opinion, transatlantic crossings should be TC (unrelated to me;p), TA should be travel agent and Trip Advisor - not used much on these boards as their full name.