Layover at CGD - Is 1 hr 50 min enough time?

MSMcDuffy

Hi,

I've avoided layovers at CDG after a bad experience there in '07 (workers' strike) but I found a really good fare for a flight stopping there on the way back from Copenhagen to Minneapolis. Any thoughts would be appreciated on this connection, which would happen on a Thurs in July.

Depart CPH 9:50am DL 8425 (operated by Air France)

Arrive CDG 11:50am

Depart CDG 1:40pm DL 8510 (operated by Air France)

I called Delta to maybe at least find out which terminal these flights use but they didn't have this info. I know sometimes people on this board are really savvy when it comes to this stuff so thought I'd check here before making a purchase.

Thank you!

According to FlightAware DL8425 has arrived into Terminal 2F regularly for the past few days.

There is no DL8510 currently, so it must be a new route for Delta.

However, if you look at current AF flights from CDG to MSP, most of them depart from Terminal 2E.

Either way 1hr 50min is not going to give you a lot of time to dawdle.

Then again, both flights are DL on AF metal. They will know that the connection is tight. If flying business or first, they may even have someone meet you at the gate to get to your connection.

According to FlightAware DL8425 has arrived into Terminal 2F regularly for the past few days.

There is no DL8510 currently, so it must be a new route for Delta.

However, if you look at current AF flights from CDG to MSP, most of them depart from Terminal 2E.

If the DL flight number is in the 8000 range, it's a codeshare operated by a partner. So this would be an AF to AF connection, just with DL codeshare flight numbers.

Regarding the terminals at CDG - SkyTeam airlines use T2E for extra-Schengen flights and T2F for intra-Schengen. T2G is used for some shorter "regional" routes and is also intra-Schengen. So all flights from CPH to CDG would be arriving at T2F and all departing flights to the USA would leave from T2E. Note - there are three different concourses (called "Halls") within the T2E designation - L, M, N.

It's not a lot of time, but you should be ok as long as you do not dawdle. You will have both immigration and security to process through, so get a move on from T2F and do any restaurant or shopping stops once you are in your departure hall (as there are different methods to each of the halls.

Thank you, both, for the information! We'll be in the main cabin so will select a seat closer to the front and will skedaddle at CDG.

One last question - you say there will be immigration & security - will we need to retrieve our luggage or does it go all the way through to MSP?...it's been a while since I've had an int'l connection so I don't recall.

Thanks again!

2E and 2F seem to be the US and Europe flight terminals for Air France based on our experience. I can’t remember which is which, but you fly into one and out of the other. Passport Control was ridiculously long for us, but we hoofed it to the gate and made it just in time. It’s a very long transit of a walk then train then walk to the US departure area, but I think you’ll be ok with ur timeframe. No guarantees of course. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I'm reporting back here after my trip. The 1 hr 50 min layover was no problem. When we landed we found out our next flight was running 2 hrs late so we didn't have to rush but even with a bathroom break we got there in good timing even if our next flight would have departed on time.

Just thought I'd mention, though (if it helps anyone else in deciding on a layover airport) CDG is just not the best airport for a layover, especially if you have no window for things going wrong. At the time I booked, the flights connecting at CDG were less expensive than other cities but after one really bad experience a while back and hearing enough of other people's bad experiences (including a relative who lived in France) I did not go for the cheaper fair to connect at CDG on the way to our cruise. But on our return flight we were not pressed for time so I went for it. Not to my surprise, our flight left 3 hrs late after 3 gate changes. We were okay with this but some of our fellow passengers were stressed and I'm pretty sure they missed their connections at MSP. I spoke to a few people at our gate(s) and they were very frustrated because when they inquired with airport personnel they were getting no help and I heard a lot of "never again am I connecting through this airport." I was even given the wrong directions by an unfriendly airport worker (such a difference from the workers and organization of the Copenhagen airport--that was the best foreign airport I've ever experienced).

So my two golden rules of airport travel are: Never fly in the day of the cruise and never connect thru CDG on the way there. :)

So my two golden rules of airport travel are: Never fly in the day of the cruise and never connect thru CDG on the way there.

I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, particularly if flying on Air France and in La Premiere class. They meet you at the incoming aircraft and drive you to the lounge, then drive you on to the next flight as well.

This turns a pretty tough connection into a very straightforward one, similar with Lufthansa at FRA, another not fun airport to connect through, typically...

I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, particularly if flying on Air France and in La Premiere class. They meet you at the incoming aircraft and drive you to the lounge, then drive you on to the next flight as well.

This turns a pretty tough connection into a very straightforward one, similar with Lufthansa at FRA, another not fun airport to connect through, typically...

That would be nice. I guess I can only vouch for economy, which I always fly.

I would like to tack on a question here about CDG transfers, but using AF's HOP airlines (the smaller E190 plane) landing at CDG and having a 1 hour 40 minute layover to catch a flight from 2F back to the USA. It looks like HOP uses the remote terminal 2G and you have to ride a shuttle to the main terminals. Then you would still have to go through security at 2F and get to the connecting flight. Has anyone done this? I'm wondering if it would be doable.

• 3 weeks later...

In November 2016 I went to Italy (land trip) and had only 1:45 at CDG. I counted 6 passport checks. That's right, six. But a good amount of time was left over for me to use a women's rrestroom wait at the gate. The entire time before we arrived at Paris (the flight was from VCE/Venice), I was not sure if we could make it. Honestly, I have no idea how we pulled it off.