Knitting and crocheting on a cruise

gepgelmik

I always take my knitting and/or crocheting when I travel. I am very used to and comfortable knitting in public. I don't very mind people watching or asking questions. If a stranger ever asked me to make something for them, I would offer to teach them instead. I usually take the project I am working on and (way too many) other prospective, simple projects. Sometimes I get to them and sometimes I don't, but I like having my needles/hook and yarn close by.

• 4 weeks later...

Just came across this thread and have a question for you knitters. I am a beginner knitter and have completed 3 cowls and 2 hats (excited to learn how to decrease!). All my projects have used wool yarn because it's cold and snowy where I live. Would like to take a project or two on a 7 day Caribbean in a month. The thought of working on a wool project invthe Caribbean isn't that appealing. Do you all have any suggestions on beginner patterns and yarns that might be more appropriate for warm weather knitting? Thanks!

Just came across this thread and have a question for you knitters. I am a beginner knitter and have completed 3 cowls and 2 hats (excited to learn how to decrease!). All my projects have used wool yarn because it's cold and snowy where I live. Would like to take a project or two on a 7 day Caribbean in a month. The thought of working on a wool project invthe Caribbean isn't that appealing. Do you all have any suggestions on beginner patterns and yarns that might be more appropriate for warm weather knitting? Thanks!

Do you use sites like allfreeknitting.com or ravelry.com? They both let you search for patterns according to what sort of project you'd like to do and what your skill level is. What about a scarf/shawl in a simple lace or lace-like pattern? (Something like feather and fan comes out beautifully in lace weight yarn - you could still use wool, or look at something like tencel, bamboo or even a silk/wool blend - and it's a pretty easy pattern for an experienced knitter to deal with)

ETA - this is the sort of pattern I was thinking of - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/feather-and-fan-short-scarf

Edited by LokiPoki

Thanks for your quick response. I signed up for ravelry but need to spend some more time familiarizing myself with it. Your suggestions were great. It gives me a good excuse to head to my local yarn shop and look at different types of yarn. All I've knitted on is wool. Think I need to venture out. Thanks!

eBay can be good sometimes too. I'm fortunate (or not - far too much exposure to temptation ;) ) to have a neighbour who owns a yarn shop and to do craft markets with a woman who spins and dyes her own yarns - but I'm also a fan of eBay for more interesting stuff...there are a good few sellers there (I'm in Australia, I'm guessing by your username Sue that you're US...) who collect and sell much more cheaply than you'll find in shops. Try looking in the shops first to find something you like the look and feel of, but it's worth comparing to online prices. Personally, I'd (depending on your project) go for something like bamboo or tencel if you're looking for a light alternative... I love knitting with ultrafine merino/silk blends (fyberspates "gleem" is beautiful!) - but they do tend to come only as a skein (so you've got to roll into balls yourself & can be apt to tangle. Tencel and bamboo are super easy to knit with, even when you get down toward laceweight.

Everyone has their own preference, but it may be if you're looking for a travel project you might want to (if you've not already) invest in some circular needles...you can knit on them just as you would with straight needles, they're a wee bit more compact, and (IMO) it's harder for your projects to slip off the needle when you need to pack them away.

Thanks for those suggestions. I love your yarn suggestions and to look on eBay. I hadn't even considered looking there. I've been hinting to my husband that I'd love a gift certificate to the yarn shop. We will see if he is brave enough to walk in! Appreciate your help.

Thanks for those suggestions. I love your yarn suggestions and to look on eBay. I hadn't even considered looking there. I've been hinting to my husband that I'd love a gift certificate to the yarn shop. We will see if he is brave enough to walk in! Appreciate your help.

I am left handed. I have taken a class twice trying to learn how to knit. And twice to learn to crochet. The instructor was experienced teaching lefties but I just couldn't learn. I would still like to learn.

On my last cruise I was envious of those who could go to the knitting group on it.

I am a beginner myself, have tried to learn to knit several times before, and am left handed. I finally signed up for a knitting class that taught me how to knit continental and I am doing much better. I have even gotten to the point where I look forward to knitting each day if only for a few minutes. Some things that helped me besides the class, was buying good quality yarn that was easy to knit with, good quality needles, having a simple pattern (my first project was a cowl that only used the knit and purl stitch and, believe it or not getting variegated yarn for that first project. I think with the yearn, I would keep knitting because I would wonder what color would be coming up and it was fun to see how the variegation looked in my pattern. I think you might find if you give it another try and join a group on the ship that you would find many people who would be willing to help you. Last word of advice is to just stick with it. I still don't like the way I hold my hands when I purl and I know I still have a lot to learn, but I know I can improve with practice. Good luck!

There are also lots of good online video tutorials - from two second animations of "this is how to do xyz stitch" on knitting sites and YouTube, through to full on paid classes on sites like Craftsy... watch some of them perhaps, play around with a bit of yarn and figure out what works for you. Or do you have any local community craft groups? We have groups in my town called MakerSpaces - just little social groups where you take along your knitting or sewing, and lets us sit and chat while we get all our UFOs under control - and is great as there's almost always someone who can sort you out if you run into a problem with your project. I'm sure if you went along to the knitters group on your cruise there'd be others more than happy to lend a hand too.

A lot of people like to make cotton dishcloths or towels. It's a good way to learn new stitches/techniques, the yarn is affordable and available at your local craft store, and it'd be easy to carry on on your trip. There's lots of free patterns online. Yarnsiprations.com is the website for Patons, Caron, Sugar n Cream and Bernat brand yarns and has pages and pages of free dishcloth patterns you can use with their cotton yarns, which I've found are the most common ones sold in mass market craft stores. Let us know what you decide!

I'm right handed, but I've always thought that a lefty could learn by sitting across from the right handed teacher. When I was in nursing school (where I learned to knit) there was another student who didn't purl - she just knit across, and knitted back left handed. Don't know if that is what you call continental knitting? I have done it occasionally, too. And I LOVE variegated thread/yarn. I love to see the colors change. If I am using solid colors, it has to have a pattern. When my nieces ( 4 of them) were young, I knit sweaters for Christmas. Started out with a simple neck down pattern - I hate to put pieces together. Then there would be a cable pattern partway down the front. Then it went all the way down. Then there were cables on the sleeves, too. EM

A lot of people like to make cotton dishcloths or towels. It's a good way to learn new stitches/techniques, the yarn is affordable and available at your local craft store, and it'd be easy to carry on on your trip. There's lots of free patterns online. Yarnsiprations.com is the website for Patons, Caron, Sugar n Cream and Bernat brand yarns and has pages and pages of free dishcloth patterns you can use with their cotton yarns, which I've found are the most common ones sold in mass market craft stores. Let us know what you decide!

Thanks for your suggestions. I might work on some dishcloths. I've got a month before the cruise so hopefully I can figure out what projects I can do. I am thinking a scarf might be fun, but using a lighter weight yarn. Revelry has some cute patterns.

There is very little clickity clack in knitting....I think that is an urban myth. Real knitters don't use aluminum knitting needles any more. We learned that early, knitting in class in school, and the clang of the needles when you drop one. Plastic and bamboo are the rule today. You would be surprised how quiet knitting is. EM

I don't believe I have ever knit with plastic needles. I like wood (knitter's Pride) and metal (Addi Turbo).

I will certainly be knitting on my cruise. I seem to bring my knitting everywhere!

I know! I was a day-long meeting a couple years ago and brought my knitting (my manager didn't have a problem with it). One of the guys in the video conference complained that it was distracting. Our manager basically told him to stop being ass--if he didn't want to see me knitting then look elsewhere since I wasn't making any noise! LOL.

Apparently. ;) Seriously though, I use bamboo but I don't consider myself a serious knitter. It's something I do occasionally when the bug strikes. Not surprisingly, I prefer quilting. But, I can't take my quilting on a cruise!

Yes, you can.

Our Hawaii cruise had a whole bunch of quilters onboard. Their machines were all set up in one room.

I can't imagine trying to take all my supplies on a cruise! If I posted a photo of my machine, you'd understand why it would be very difficult. LOL.

The few glances into the room I saw only 'regular' looking sewing machines. Nothing fancy.

A few years back there was a gal trying to figure out how to get her machine onboard for her world cruise on HAL(?)

I get people talking to me frequently during cruises while I am crocheting and I really don't mind. I've been crocheting for 35 years. Sometimes they are curious and it reminds them of someone in their family or they are a crafter their self. I love the cruises where they have crafting. It's fun and a way to talk to different people. I'm terrible at starting conversations. Other people are good at starting conversations. Once a conversation gets started, thats all it takes is a few friendly words between folks. We cruise Carnival and some of the most memorable folks are the ones who are loud, boisterous and colorful in their dialogue.

The few glances into the room I saw only 'regular' looking sewing machines. Nothing fancy.

A few years back there was a gal trying to figure out how to get her machine onboard for her world cruise on HAL(?)

For a world cruise, I'd figure out a way! I can't imagine going that long without my zen! :D I'd have to borrow my daughter's machine and bring extra luggage! :D I'd probably have to make a quilt for my steward for putting up with my having a machine set up in my cabin for all that time. I actually do plan to start my retirement with a world cruise, but that's a few years away so I have time to plan. :D

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the information. I will be going on my first Cunard trip soon and was hoping there is a knitting group. Last summer I was on a Crystal cruise and joined the group daily. We had a great time. Everyone shared their knowledge and I learned a few new things.

On Cunard cruises they have special knitting meet up events!

Thanks for the information. I will be going on my first Cunard trip soon and was hoping there is a knitting group. Last summer I was on a Crystal cruise and joined the group daily. We had a great time. Everyone shared their knowledge and I learned a few new things.

You are responding to a post that is more than a year old so it is possible that the info is outdated.