Encore had an unexpected overnight in Melbourne.

SKP946

Encore was due to sail for Geelong (still in Port Phillip but west of Melbourne) at 11 last night, however we had unusual gusty, gale force south-easterly winds that built all afternoon and into the night.

The Astor (1989 built) was on the other (east) side of the pier to Encore and was due to sail at 6pm. Apparently she was pushed back into the pier by the wind and some damage was caused.

I was quite suprised this morning when I walked to the beach for my swim to see Encore sailing past, not down the west channel towards Geelong but heading for Port Phillip Heads, 3 hours away.

For those not familiar with Melbourne the city sits at the northern end of a large (750 sq.mile/ 2,000 sq km) shallow (average 26/8m deep) bay with a narrow entrance to the ocean. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Phillip

I can only assume that Encores captain made a wise decision and decided not to risk sailing down the narrow west channel to Geelong last night, where he would have to anchor and tender pax ashore in an onshore wind today.

So, it looks like a leisurely sail to Sydney.