Sydney Hotel Help

trbarton

Check out the Russell Hotel in the Rock. IMHO you can't find a better location, it's across the street from the main ferry teminal and the Opera House, almost underneath the Harbor bridge. I'm staying for a week before my cruise in Jan 2019

Darling Harbour is one of my favourite places to stay, and a short taxi ride to the cruise terminal. The train system is very easy to use from the airport, and goes to Circular Quay station which is just a couple minutes at most walk to the ship.

Tom, I checked the rate at Holiday Inn Old Sydney for my stay early December 2018, but the rate is $350 USD and up.

The Holiday Inn on the Rocks can be booked using IHG points -- it's 40,000 points per night. Generally speaking, IHG points can be purchased from between .5 to .7 cents (USD) per point, which could save you a bit. Buying IHG points is a bit of a "travel hack" and may not be available in all countries. But essentially, the most cost effective way to do it is to buy some point directly from IHG if you don't have a balance. Then, you can book "points and cash" reservations, where you pay part in points and part in cash. So, for example, a hotel that runs for 30,000 points will let you book it for 10,000 points, plus $125 per night. When you book it, you pay the $125 and the cash portion becomes becomes nonrefundable but you can still cancel (if you booked a cancelable room) and get the points back. So, you cancel the reservation, and you get 30,000 points. So, you've effectively purchased 20,000 points for $125.

Travel hacking is not for everyone. You want to do your research. And, you certainly don't want to be paying for points unless you have a specific redemption in mind and unless the nights you want are available for points. But, if one really wanted to stay at the Holiday Inn Sydney and only pay $200 to $250 per night, using tricks to buy points is doable. YMMV and do your research, though.

Check out the Russell Hotel in the Rock. IMHO you can't find a better location, it's across the street from the main ferry teminal and the Opera House, almost underneath the Harbor bridge. I'm staying for a week before my cruise in Jan 2019

I’ve looked at some photo’s. Is their an elevator or does one have to lug there luggage to their room?

I like the idea of being close to the cruise terminal. How was Public Transportation?

I’ve emailed them as my dates in March don’t show up yet.

Tom😎

I’ve looked at some photo’s. Is their an elevator or does one have to lug there luggage to their room?

I like the idea of being close to the cruise terminal. How was Public Transportation?

Tom😎

Plenty of transport, don’t think there’s an elevator.

Tom😎

It's been a long time since my last visit but no elevator at that time. I took a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel. The cruise terminal is almost directly across the street.

I loved being able to walk around the waterfront every night with both the opera house and bridge lit up. I took the ferry over to Manly beach, one trip to the zoo, one down to Darling harbor and one long one when I got on the wrong ferry :)

I’ve been looking at a lot of hotels in Sydney. One hotel I found, Hotel Challis in the Potts Point area, was recommended on CC. Since my dates of March was not listed yet I emailed the Hotel & received a rate for a King Size room at $432 AUD for 2 nights which has been accepted. The rate now showing on their web site is $640 AUD for the same size room. I’m surprised as to the rate by contacting the hotel directly.

Please check all hotels as I have found some that don’t have an elevator which to me is a plus to have an elevator.

Tom😎

I emailed the Hotel & received a rate for a King Size room at $432 AUD for 2 nights which has been accepted.

Tom😎

Sounds like a good deal. I notice that the website has a promo code (GWB) for a 10% discount. Did you use that? Did you need to pay in advance? I was able to get a good rate of $321 USD refundable for King room two nights in December through a third party site. But I may email them to see if they offer a better deal.

• 1 month later...
I’ve been looking at a lot of hotels in Sydney. One hotel I found, Hotel Challis in the Potts Point area, was recommended on CC. Since my dates of March was not listed yet I emailed the Hotel & received a rate for a King Size room at $432 AUD for 2 nights which has been accepted. The rate now showing on their web site is $640 AUD for the same size room. I’m surprised as to the rate by contacting the hotel directly.

Please check all hotels as I have found some that don’t have an elevator which to me is a plus to have an elevator.

Tom😎

Tom post where you land, we are on same cruise, probably come in from Hawaii on April 4th prior to boarding Golden

I haven't stayed in the Boulevard for years but it was fine then. The Ibis at Darling Harbour is perfectly fine. Clean but small and very well located. Darling Harbour is fun with lots of buzz. Another well priced and located hotel in the working part of Sydney but close to the shops and places to eat is the Travelodge https://www.travelodge.com.au/hotel/sydney/?utm_source=googleplaces&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=googleplaces

I haven't stayed in the Boulevard for years but it was fine then. The Ibis at Darling Harbour is perfectly fine. Clean but small and very well located. Darling Harbour is fun with lots of buzz. Another well priced and located hotel in the working part of Sydney but close to the shops and places to eat is the Travelodge https://www.travelodge.com.au/hotel/sydney/?utm_source=googleplaces&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=googleplaces

There are a few Travelodges, if you go that path, Wynyard is probably best located but not always best priced.

Hi Tom,

We have stayed at the York Hotel twice and it's conveniently located. The reason why we liked this hotel was it reminded us of Residence Inn...having a dining table and a full kitchen. Better yet, it had a washer and dryer in the room! The desk even gave us free laundry soap to use. We stayed a few days before our cruise and was able to wash our clothes before our cruise. (We paid about $150/night...however, a quick check now shows rooms are over $250/night...perhaps a call directly to the hotel like you've been doing will result in a better price.)

From the hotel, it's about a 10 minute walk to the OPT, Overseas Passenger Terminal. You can also walk to the Rocks, Opera House, the garden next door, and many of the sights.

One tip: Get the Opal Card. This card will give you access to the buses, ferries, and trains. The maximum amount that will be debited from your Opal Card per day is $15AUD....no matter how many times you use it! What a great deal. (Note: the cost is a bit more expensive going from and to the airport...about $17AUD.) The Opal Card can be purchased at train stations, at the ferry, stores...just ask. And it's easy to use...simply "tap on, then tap off" when entering or leaving from the bus, ferry, or the train.

Once you have the Opal Card, you can use it going back to the airport. Just make sure you have at least $15AUD in the card. From the OPT, it's a flat 5 minute walk to the Circular Quay train station. Take the elevator or escalator up to the second floor. There will be a train to the airport every 10 minutes, and will take approximately 20 minutes to the airport. Note that there is a domestic stop and an international stop for the airport.

Have a great time in Sydney and Happy Sailing! :)

(I attended grade school, junior high, and high school in SF.)

I too am looking for a place for several days in between cruises in March 2019 but I need something with a kitchen and a washing machine. Was looking at the Mantra 2. Love the location but not the price. $300 a night. Any other comparable establishments with kitchen, washer and free wifi anyone can recommend would be appreciated

Hi Tom,

We have stayed at the York Hotel twice and it's conveniently located. The reason why we liked this hotel was it reminded us of Residence Inn...having a dining table and a full kitchen. Better yet, it had a washer and dryer in the room! The desk even gave us free laundry soap to use. We stayed a few days before our cruise and was able to wash our clothes before our cruise. (We paid about $150/night...however, a quick check now shows rooms are over $250/night...perhaps a call directly to the hotel like you've been doing will result in a better price.)

From the hotel, it's about a 10 minute walk to the OPT, Overseas Passenger Terminal. You can also walk to the Rocks, Opera House, the garden next door, and many of the sights.

One tip: Get the Opal Card. This card will give you access to the buses, ferries, and trains. The maximum amount that will be debited from your Opal Card per day is $15AUD....no matter how many times you use it! What a great deal. (Note: the cost is a bit more expensive going from and to the airport...about $17AUD.) The Opal Card can be purchased at train stations, at the ferry, stores...just ask. And it's easy to use...simply "tap on, then tap off" when entering or leaving from the bus, ferry, or the train.

Once you have the Opal Card, you can use it going back to the airport. Just make sure you have at least $15AUD in the card. From the OPT, it's a flat 5 minute walk to the Circular Quay train station. Take the elevator or escalator up to the second floor. There will be a train to the airport every 10 minutes, and will take approximately 20 minutes to the airport. Note that there is a domestic stop and an international stop for the airport.

Have a great time in Sydney and Happy Sailing! :)

(I attended grade school, junior high, and high school in SF.)

Thank you very much for your reply. I don’t see a mention of a lift. Do they have one?

Yes I have emailed the hotel directly to see what rate I can get. It’s now $196 per night.

I currently have a reservation at the ibis Sydney World Square, 382 Pitt Street, at $114 per night. It’s in the downtown business district.

Tom😎

Thank you very much for your reply. I don’t see a mention of a lift. Do they have one?

Yes I have emailed the hotel directly to see what rate I can get. It’s now $196 per night.

I currently have a reservation at the ibis Sydney World Square, 382 Pitt Street, at $114 per night. It’s in the downtown business district.

Tom😎

It’s basic but livable.

I’m traveling to Sydney in March, 2019 for a Princess Cruise. Since I’ve never been to Australia before any suggestions as to what area to stay in would be helpful. Looking for something reasonably priced up to $150 US$

Of course with public transportation nearby would be helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Tom😀

If your Princess ship is berthing at White Bay Terminal (instead of the OPT), I recommend staying at a hotel in the Darling Harbor area. We stayed at the Adina Apartment Hotel Darling Harbor one week pre-cruise:-1 bedroom, kitchen, washer dryer and free wi-fi. Great location. Close to the ferry, Wynyard Train station and walkable to Town Hall, and other places. (see my review on Trip Advisor)

But the rooms are way above your price point but our one bedroom was similar in price to the small rooms at the Holiday Inn at the Rocks.

Does anyone have any information about the Hilton in Sydney? We will be there in January.

Thank you!

Ruth

It was at one stage Sydney’s Premier hotel, still highly regarded, tends to be a bit expensive, right in the heart of the city so plenty around you, including transport options.