San Juan Piers

MBP&O2/O

I have been monitoring the traffic at San Juan Port.

A couple of weeks ago, the small Seadream yachts were both berthed at the Pan American Pier, which I understood was for the larger deep draft vessels.

The next week they were both at a pier in Old San Juan, as was the Wind ... she was on Pier 4. The Wind is also seen on Google Street Maps berthed on Pier 1.

Today, with nothing in Old San Juan, the Silver Wind has berthed down at the Pan American Pier?

Is there any way to determine where you may be embarking / disembarking on a specific day or is it a case of where the Port Authority choose on the day.

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

According to Cruise Timetables, there will be Jewel of the Seas and Carnival Fascination so I suppose it will be a surprise[emoji3]

As an aside, does SS email or contact you to say which pier or do you rely on DIY, Hotel and taxies etc. to know .... not that it will be a problem. I bet the cruisers staying in the Old Sheraton will be miffed if it is the Pan American pier.

We’ll find out for sure in less than three weeks ..... scary!

Mike

Just to clarify, both the Pan American and Old San Juan piers can accommodate large deep draft ships. Not speaking specifically to the Seadream yachts, but typically the Pan American pier is used for ships with itineraries originating or terminating at San Juan while the Old San Juan piers are used for ships using San Juan as a day port of call.

I am staying in Old San Juan for a couple of days prior to the cruise. All my own arrangements etc. It is no great problem where the berth is .... worse case scenario is $10 in a cab.

Is there any way of contacting SS other than by ringing reservations? There is nothing on the website.

It was more out of idle curiosity that I wanted to know about the berth.

Looking at the charts for the port it confirms that the deep draft vessels can go to any of the berths, although Pier 1 does look a touch shorter than the rest.

The pier information that I was looking at was from a cruise website.48ec6020815fac64632555675aae50f5.jpg

According to Cruise Timetables, there will be Jewel of the Seas and Carnival Fascination so I suppose it will be a surprise[emoji3]

As an aside, does SS email or contact you to say which pier or do you rely on DIY, Hotel and taxies etc. to know .... not that it will be a problem. I bet the cruisers staying in the Old Sheraton will be miffed if it is the Pan American pier.

We’ll find out for sure in less than three weeks ..... scary!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Are you on the March 11th sailing? If so, I am as well. The documents sent by SS say that we will embark from Old San Juan Pier 1 ... unless Port Authority makes a last minute change.

Great question about whether SS will text, email, or call with a change. Worst case scenario, if they do change: Pan American looks to be less than 10 minutes away from OSJ. Like you, I wonder if the hotels have a list of who is where. Easy peasy no matter what.

Under 3 weeks to go :cool:

The only thing I have received from SS is a small silver coloured box with a Travel Journal and some luggage tags. No joining instructions, no information ... just the tags? Unless I have missed something in the journal?

Pier 1 would be nice .... we are staying just up the road as we should be able to see that pier from the hotels rooftop terrace where they serve breakfast. According to Google maps it is 0.4 miles, on foot, to the pier.

Mike,

The quote I found is on the cruise ticket SS emailed to me, not in the tiny font Silver Box journal. It's near the top of page 3, "Your Pre-Cruise Information."

Enjoy your rooftop terrace -- sounds lovely!

You have a ticket!

Wow....I wish I had one [emoji53]

I have heard nothing from SS.

There appears to be an option on ‘My Silversea’ to download one but it doesn’t work. I think I had better have words in the morning.

You have a ticket!

I do have a ticket. Not sure if it makes a difference that I booked directly through SS rather than a travel agent. The email arrived on 1/20 from a guest confirmations address, signed by the same guy who did my air arrangements. Subject line is "Your Final Silversea Cruise Documents," in case you want to check your spam box.

Are you using a travel agent? Perhaps the process is different with a TA? Or different because I used SS's air travel offer? Maybe others with more experience can advise: when do you folks usually get your cruise tickets from SS or your TA?

I do have a ticket. Not sure if it makes a difference that I booked directly through SS rather than a travel agent. The email arrived on 1/20 from a guest confirmations address, signed by the same guy who did my air arrangements. Subject line is "Your Final Silversea Cruise Documents," in case you want to check your spam box.

Are you using a travel agent? Perhaps the process is different with a TA? Or different because I used SS's air travel offer? Maybe others with more experience can advise: when do you folks usually get your cruise tickets from SS or your TA?

Ours arrived by email direct from SS about a month ago. When using a TA in the past it would have been sent to the TA and passed on by them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have telephoned SS in London and they seemed quite surprised that we had not heard anything. The did some digging and told me that they sent all the electronic guff to the TA on 20th January!

They kindly sent me a copy of the original email and they they also send me the documentation package with tickets, joining instructions etc so now I know - officially - what is happening.

I have taken the matter up with the TA and am awaiting their response. One is suitably unimpressed with the TA.

As mentioned earlier it is Pier 1 for both embarkation and disembarkation.

Mike