Cuba Tours

helvic

An open letter to Oceania.

A lot has been written on here about tours in Cuba.

Some cruise companies are now using the new regulations to force people to take their tours.

I now read that some of your agents are using this tactic.

You are better than this.

Can You please clarify the situation.

Can people book their own tours if they booked their cruise after June 2017?

Please post on here what the position is, we can all then get on with planning our cruise without any more undue stress or confusion.

An open letter to Oceania.

A lot has been written on here about tours in Cuba.

Some cruise companies are now using the new regulations to force people to take their tours.

I now read that some of your agents are using this tactic.

You are better than this.

Can You please clarify the situation.

Can people book their own tours if they booked their cruise after June 2017?

Please post on here what the position is, we can all then get on with planning our cruise without any more undue stress or confusion.

Are you kidding..who do you think is going to answer you from Oceania..???

Jancruz1

The only way a cruise company can "force" you to take their tours would be by preventing you from going ashore unless you had booked through them.

But since there's nothing in the US regs stating that you can't go ashore and explore on your own two feet without patronizing certain government-owned tourist agencies and other businesses, the cruise line has no reason or authority to prevent you from disembarking.

Once ashore, you will note that the cruise ship doesn't send sleuths to follow passengers around, keeping tabs on their activities, nor are there clandestine US government agents wearing shades and flowered shirts with nothing better to do than check where you buy a mojito. Neither the Cuban authorities nor the Cuban people care a whit about the US regs; they care about welcoming you to their country just as they have welcomed Brits, Canadians and Europeans for decades.

Booked a private tour? Leave the ship and clear immigration on your own, then meet your guide outside the terminal (Havana) or port gate. Just be sure you're back on time for sailing 'cause it can get sticky if you're left behind.

Having sailed to Cuba last year aboard both Oceania and Regent (including a cruise booked after the dreaded June deadline), and having explored Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba thoroughly on foot and by other means, I can wholeheartedly join other posters and my own travel agent in saying: "Go; have a good time; don't worry; you'll love it."

The only way a cruise company can "force" you to take their tours would be by preventing you from going ashore unless you had booked through them.

But since there's nothing in the US regs stating that you can't go ashore and explore on your own two feet without patronizing certain government-owned tourist agencies and other businesses, the cruise line has no reason or authority to prevent you from disembarking.

Once ashore, you will note that the cruise ship doesn't send sleuths to follow passengers around, keeping tabs on their activities, nor are there clandestine US government agents wearing shades and flowered shirts with nothing better to do than check where you buy a mojito. Neither the Cuban authorities nor the Cuban people care a whit about the US regs; they care about welcoming you to their country just as they have welcomed Brits, Canadians and Europeans for decades.

Booked a private tour? Leave the ship and clear immigration on your own, then meet your guide outside the terminal (Havana) or port gate. Just be sure you're back on time for sailing 'cause it can get sticky if you're left behind.

Having sailed to Cuba last year aboard both Oceania and Regent (including a cruise booked after the dreaded June deadline), and having explored Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba thoroughly on foot and by other means, I can wholeheartedly join other posters and my own travel agent in saying: "Go; have a good time; don't worry; you'll love it."

This is TOTALLY correct and exactly like my experience in December, 2017!! Enjoy....Cuba was a wonderful place to visit.

We plan on booking are own tours for most of the cruise. In fact we've all ready booked one. Looking forward to seeing what "O" has to offer now...We've been cruising Regent, but "O" has a better Cuba cruise at the time of booking. Rick

I used Fer Tours and they were really great..

Jancruz1

We used Havana Journeys and were quite pleased with them. They suggested a basic itinerary; I indicated what was of interest and what wasn't. I also requested visiting a synagogue which was arranged for us, as was a visit to a cigar factory ~ a request from our son. Both our driver and our guide were professional and personable. It was like traveling with friends. And our guide's English was impeccable.

Harriet

Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression - from the excursion desk - that Americans can not book tours directly but could only book the ship's tours. Am I being taken advantage of by Sirena?

No, not taken advantage of. But given the official US regulations, the excursion desk simply cannot tell you that it's okay to ignore them.

The fact is that you can book with whomever you want; many O cruisers have it done before you. You are under no obligation to inform Oceania of your plans. Just head ashore once the ship has been cleared and follow the advice given in my earlier post.

Is it technically (or actually) illegal? Probably so. If that's an issue for you, then go with the ship's excursions. But we're all free-willed adults in this room and nobody is checking our plans or following us once we're on terra firma.

Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression - from the excursion desk - that Americans can not book tours directly but could only book the ship's tours. Am I being taken advantage of by Sirena?

There is an Oceania CC thread entitled "New Cuba Travel Restrictions" that discusses this issue in detail. From what I understand it has to do with WHEN you booked your O cruise, before or after June 17, 2017. Look for this O thread if you're interested in hearing what other folks have said about this. I believe it also has some links to government sites that also discuss this issue.

Personally, we're not too concerned as we booked all of our Cuban excursions using O's YWC package. But there are other folks that want to either do private tours or just explore on their own. Hope this helps.

You DO NOT have to take ship tours! I might not use the term "taken advantage of", but many cruiselines are using language that is causing confusion and fear in passengers. None of the regulations say that only ship tours are valid - a tour just has to have the focus of "supporting Cuban people." Even walking around on your own, talking to locals and buying their food or goods is supporting them. Do what you're comfortable with.

You DO NOT have to take ship tours! I might not use the term "taken advantage of", but many cruiselines are using language that is causing confusion and fear in passengers. None of the regulations say that only ship tours are valid - a tour just has to have the focus of "supporting Cuban people." Even walking around on your own, talking to locals and buying their food or goods is supporting them. Do what you're comfortable with.

This. Cruise lines are merely being deceptive.

You're being awfully dismissive.

Has anyone considered the position that the Cruise Line is put into if any of its' passengers run afoul of the system in a place like Cuba or Russia?

Such things are time consuming and expensive. Of course the Line is going to recommend the structured approach where they have some control.

Similar to Mountain Climbing, when the "you know what" hits the fan, free spirits are the first to demand help.

Some of us don't need no stinking Cruise Line........until we do! :o

Why is the cruise line being deceptive??

Oceania is asking YOU to sign the form. Meaning it is YOU will that will be in non compliance with the law and not Oceania.

Have you read what "supporting the Cuban people" really means.

• Touring the Hemingway room is not compliant at the Hotel Ambos Mundos
  • Spending the day with a Cuban family is compliant.

Mind you the Immigration authorities will not be knocking at your door if you lie on the form and do your own thing. But some people do like obeying the law.

I know you will like them they used brand new Mercedes vans and great guides..we had 3 vans for 33 people..

Have a great week..

Jan

Thanks Jan - just booked 3 of us for a full day/night tour including classic convertible for day and hard top for evening for this coming October. They will provide us with an itinerary complient with the new regulations showing that we are supporting the Cuban people. As Fernando says "This would help you support your case if needed".

How did you guys pay for the tours in Cuba??

We are comfortable booking our own tours but not sure how to pay since USA $$s are not great to use there. We live in San Diego so easy to get Mexican pesos or of course I could get euros too but just wondering???

How did you guys pay for the tours in Cuba??

We are comfortable booking our own tours but not sure how to pay since USA $$s are not great to use there. We live in San Diego so easy to get Mexican pesos or of course I could get euros too but just wondering???

We convert Euros to CUCs at exchange desk at the port. You could bring pesos and avoid the 10% and just pay the 3% exchange fee. Some vendors will take US dollars but add on the 10% + 3%.

Read the following for more details.

http://www.cruisehabit.com/cruising-cuba-credit-cards-and-changing-currency-cuba-how-pay-goods-and-services

• 4 weeks later...