San Diego Hotel

bjbear

They probably are a little closer and probably cheaper. I am Hilton brand loyal so either do the ES or Hilton Gas Lamp. Gas Lamp is always my first choice.

Thanks, that’s good to hear. We are at the Hilton “Gas Lamp” 3 night’s prior to our cruise in April. Was torn between that and Embassy Suites. What tipped your decision?

We like the feel of the Gas Lamp better than ES. Stayed at one ES stayed at them all. The Hilton GL is smaller and has a great bar with decent bar food. The Tin Fish directly outside the back door is a great place for a reasonable lunch. Trolley stop is a few steps away.

Check out Go San Diego or just Google "Brothels, Bites, and Booze" for a fantastic walking tour of Gas Lamp. It's a great way to kill a couple of hours. They also do one of Old Town, but we haven't done it yet. We had a great meal at Lou and Mickey's just on the back side of Hilton, also.

Buster's Beach House in Seaport Village has good food also. We usually get the appetizer sampler and share with a few cocktails, it's more than enough food for two.

We like the feel of the Gas Lamp better than ES. Stayed at one ES stayed at them all. The Hilton GL is smaller and has a great bar with decent bar food. The Tin Fish directly outside the back door is a great place for a reasonable lunch. Trolley stop is a few steps away.

Check out Go San Diego or just Google "Brothels, Bites, and Booze" for a fantastic walking tour of Gas Lamp. It's a great way to kill a couple of hours. They also do one of Old Town, but we haven't done it yet. We had a great meal at Lou and Mickey's just on the back side of Hilton, also.

Buster's Beach House in Seaport Village has good food also. We usually get the appetizer sampler and share with a few cocktails, it's more than enough food for two.

Thanks for this. I’ve found that many ES seem a little worn. Gonna spend 3 nights there pre cruise so the walking tour sounds fun.

Thanks for this. I’ve found that many ES seem a little worn. Gonna spend 3 nights there pre cruise so the walking tour sounds fun.

ES had been a little worn. But they have refreshed it lately. Still, the Hilton Gas Lamp is much more unique than the standard cookie cutter ES. If you can swing the extra cost stay in one of the "loft" rooms.

Happy to get this information about local hotels in SD. We will be there for 4 nights before an NCL Panama Canal cruise in October. We’re hoping to visit the SD Zoo while there as well as explore the area. Will be booking soon to secure a good rate in advance. Thanks all.

Happy to get this information about local hotels in SD. We will be there for 4 nights before an NCL Panama Canal cruise in October. We’re hoping to visit the SD Zoo while there as well as explore the area. Will be booking soon to secure a good rate in advance. Thanks all.

Hope you're able to get to our Zoo, as it's one of the largest and best wild animal collections in the world. Okay, I guess I'm a little biased because I live in SD. However, living here all my life, I've never grown tired of going to the zoo every chance I get!

Have a great cruise!

Hope you're able to get to our Zoo, as it's one of the largest and best wild animal collections in the world.

I totally agree. Plus we just took the grandkids out to the Zoo Safari and did the extra caravan tour. It was totally awesome. We were able to hand feed Graffias and got within a 100 feet of a newborn rino. It's probably a little to far for a cruise tour. But well worth it.

I totally agree. Plus we just took the grandkids out to the Zoo Safari and did the extra caravan tour. It was totally awesome. We were able to hand feed Graffias and got within a 100 feet of a newborn rino. It's probably a little to far for a cruise tour. But well worth it.

Yes, Zoo Safari is another awesome experience here in San Diego. Last time we were there, we zip-lined over all the wild animal enclosures... simply breathtaking!

But I also agree that it may be a little too far out there for most typical cruisers arriving in town with just a few hours to spend their time before embarkation.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone give me input on Residence Inn Bayfront. My family have reservations in March 2019 pre RC Panama cruise. Will fly in early the day prior to departure.

This hotel is part of a "dual property" with Springhill Suites. They share the same amenities (pool, free breakfast, work out room) and use the same front desk. We stayed in the Springhill Suites section in Dec.

I love this property - brand new (about one year old now), great staff, nice rooms and good breakfast. Very good bar style dining place just outside. Best of all is that it is RIGHT across from the pier. Its an easy 3-5 minute walk from the front desk to the ship.

Lots of things to see nearby (walking), including Seaport Village and an aircraft carrier (forget the name). Dining options are abundant, with Little Italy being my choice (10 minute walk). Definitely try Flippis (right by the Little Italy sign over the street) and get the pizza (its a full meal and fantastic). On the way back to the hotel you will pass Rite Aide for last minute items (including a decent wine selection).

If you see a recent picture of the port area, look for the building with a large yellow stripe - thats the hotel.

IMO, you made a great choice!