accessible tour in Antigua

canuk05

My DH and I are booked on a cruise with Princess that stops in Antigua. Are there any tours that are wheelchair accessible. My husband is confined to the chair, but we would love to see mor of the island and especially Nelson's dockyard.

• 2 months later...

Last April, we were on the Constellation and stopped in Antigua. We booked a tour to Nelson's Dockyard through the ship. With our assistance, Mom was able to transfer to the van for a trip to Nelson's. She was able to enjoy the outside sights, and access some of the ground level buildings. Many of the shops are on the second level and theres' no access other than a flight of steps. The bathroom facilities were another matter, but we improvised. The tour stopped at a lookout area that was not accessible, mainly cobblestone and rocky paths, but we managed to take the wheel chair part way to see the spectacular view. At another stop, we were able to use the wheel chair to get closer to the edge of the lookout and take pictures.

When you get off of the ship, there are many taxi's and vans willing to take passengers on tour. You may have to do some research to find one that can accommodate your husband's needs. Don't give up. Check with the disabilities department of the cruise line for some guidance.

Darcy

If he can transfer to a car easily, taking a cab may be the best. Unless he can climb steps for a van or bus, this may be the only option. I know of no tours with wheelchair accessible transportation there, either through the ships or private companies.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got off the Maasdam and took a 'scenic overview drive' shore excursion in Antigua. It was by far the most accessible excursion of all that I did. There were a variety of disabilities on the tour. The vans were tight, but had removable armrests and the pier is not very long (like in St. Martin), so it is manageable. The bus made two stops - one at a beach hotel (for some rum punch) which was accessible. The other at the top of a high hill for snaps. Some chose not to get off here, but it was also manageable.

• 12 years later...
Has any one used wheelchair transportation in Antigua from cruise pier

FYI this thread is over 11 years old.

To the best of my knowledge there are no private wheelchair accessible tours and or wheelchair accessible transportation available in Antigua. If you can transfer to as seat most taxi drivers will accomodate a folding wheelchair and or lightweight mobility scooter.

Have you checked with the cruise line to see if it offers any wheelchair accessible excursions . You have to call the Special Needs department of the cruise line directly as if any accessible tours are offered that information generally is not posted on its website.

I was happy to see this thread revisited, regardless of its age. We will be in Antigua in a week - we have reserved a scenic overview tour through the ship, but it is not 'wheelchair accessible'. I will definitely have my cane with me, and hope to bring the rollator as well, so I have somewhere to rest while disembarking and waiting for the tour bus. I will report back here!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Antigua turned out to be a bust for us - as were the excursions we had already pre-paid for St. Kitts and St. Thomas. For all three, we weren't told until we were on the ship that there may be issues with the excursions, so we had to work through the excursions desk which 1) didn't have adequate information about their own ship-sponsored tours, 2) didn't have measurements readily available for the most popular scooters on the market, and 3) subjected us to being measured with a paper tape measure to get the dimensions of the scooter before being informed that none of our excursions were possible.

We were extremely frustrated while on St. Kitts and talking to someone who worked at Romney Manor every day that they see scooters "all day, every day" after Princess told us it was impossible for us to go there. Princess's 'disabled' department leaves much to be desired.

• 6 months later...
Unfortunately, Antigua turned out to be a bust for us - as were the excursions we had already pre-paid for St. Kitts and St. Thomas. For all three, we weren't told until we were on the ship that there may be issues with the excursions, so we had to work through the excursions desk which 1) didn't have adequate information about their own ship-sponsored tours, 2) didn't have measurements readily available for the most popular scooters on the market, and 3) subjected us to being measured with a paper tape measure to get the dimensions of the scooter before being informed that none of our excursions were possible.

We were extremely frustrated while on St. Kitts and talking to someone who worked at Romney Manor every day that they see scooters "all day, every day" after Princess told us it was impossible for us to go there. Princess's 'disabled' department leaves much to be desired.

This sounds like the exact "accessible" tour I booked for my stop in St Kitts on the Crown Princess in November. Exactly why couldn't they accommodate you on the Romney Manor tour? I'd like to look at other options if this is going to end up being a problem for me (I use a very small 3-wheel scooter).