Concerned

elogan

I am booked on the Regatta to Alaska in June.. my first Oceania Cruise...but have recently read some disappointing reviews from cruisers on this ship in December. Does anyone have any thoughts. This is my last day to cancel

so any input would be helpful.

Thanks.

E.

I am booked on the Regatta to Alaska in June.. my first Oceania Cruise...but have recently read some disappointing reviews from cruisers on this ship in December. Does anyone have any thoughts. This is my last day to cancel so any input would be helpful

Yes, I have some thoughts....I’m pretty sure others do as well :)

Flippancy aside, I would consider;

* how many negative reviews you have read from other cruisers in December, January & February?

* how many have actually sailed in that period (say 6 cruises with 650 passengers each)

* the likelihood of some posting about a negative experience vs a positive experience

Therein lies your answer

...Relax, and enjoy your cruise...

Thanks Ira... my head is swimming reading all the different reviews...but I think every ship probably has its pluses and minuses...this is a great way to find out how to manage expectations. We are still going:). E

I was one of the 'negative' reviewers of Regatta.

That December cruise was so different than all of our others......

We are platinum with Oceania. Obviously if we thought O was 'bad' we'd not continue to sail with them.

Leaving in a week for a Riviera cruise and then a month on Nautica in April.

It is an excellent cruise line. Go to Alaska and enjoy yourself.

Thanks Ira... my head is swimming reading all the different reviews...but I think every ship probably has its pluses and minuses...this is a great way to find out how to manage expectations. We are still going:). E

Been on Regatta 2 x to alaska, 10-11 DAYS Great food, great ports, great crew. Leave any attirude or the like at home.. I will say if you want to see glaciers up close you have two options 1. 90 Miles south of Seattle is Mt Rainier NP with 26 active glaciers, best in the USA. 2. late August earily September will afford the best viewing to the Hubbard glacier May june the poorest due to ice flows blocking access miles from the glacier

The reviews you see of the Regatta during that period just happen to be during a string of unfortunate events for that ship starting in Honolulu and seemed to last until the circumnavigation of Australia.

This is not normal for Regatta but is a bit disconcerting, especially if you were new to the line.

I was on the Regatta in late May 2016 for a 10-day Alaska cruise. Everything was excellent - food, staff, Oceania excursions (our OLife choice), weather (for Alaska), and a fantastic view of the Hubbard Glacier. The captain stayed there for quite a while, giving each side of the ship plenty of time for photos from their balconies, and the glacier calved numerous times, to a chorus of oohs and aahs! Maybe we were lucky, but that was our Alaska experience close to the time frame you're looking at.

Penny

Reviews in general are negative, people tend to complain rather than take the time to express satisfactory experiences. We recently booked a last minute cruise on a ship that had mixed/poor reviews. Our experience was satisfactory and would book the same ship again, no complaints.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond to my concerns today regarding our upcoming cruise on the Regatta. The remarks have been very helpful and we are much more confident now about our decision to cruise with Oceania. I appreciate everyone taking time to share their experiences...positive for the most part and we are looking forward to our first experience in Alaska.

E.

Some people’s complaints are other people’s praises. On our last couple of cruises we’ve heard people ask the staff:

“ is that dish spicy?”

The reply from staff:” No, nothing on Oceania is spicy anymore!”

With a reply: “ Good, I don’t like any spicy food!”

While some of us complain that some dishes have been made blander than in the past, others rejoice and praise that move. Some here have even posted they’ve never been served a dish they thought was bland!

On my recently completed cruise there were reports of fellow cruisers having some very unpleasant conversations with a set of other cruisers that had constantly held up multiple ship land tours. So while some complain about this problem regularly, others are obviously happy knowing that regardless of how slow they are, and how much they hold up any ship tour(s), the local guide will always wait on them regardless to impact on others. Those very polite Asian tour guides will never utter a discouraging word!

A lot of different opinions on multiple issues. One has to read and decide which of those issues are important to them. Another example is there is sometimes conversations about either the poor quality of wines available by the glass aboard ship, or the occurrences of running out of the higher quality wines. Those that don’t drink, could care less, while for others it’s a big deal.

We did Alaska in 2016 on the Regatta. Our cruise was a 10 day in May. We lucked out with the weather- much warmer than expected. Our day at the Hubbard Glacier was spectacular and the highlight of the trip. We didn’t see much wildlife so if you can manage it, choose tours that increase that chance. Overall, everything on Regatta was lovely- food, fellow passengers, ship board ambiance and the hardworking crew!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on Regatta now and have had an excellent cruise. Haven’t had a bad meal yet, the crew have certainly gone out of their way to make sure our cruise has been wonderful.

Elogan - take the cruise, if the itinerary is right for you then you won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is always the fact that only a small percentage of people who cruise even know about cruise critic.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Actually I believe it's exactly opposite of what you say. I think only a small percentage don't know about cruise critic, especially regular or long time cruisers. Whether they use it and post or not is another story.

Afterall it is the largest and most popular site on the internet for cruising information. You research a cruise on the internet, which most people use for their vacations these days, you're going to wind up on CC.

Definitely not a fact as you say, more an assumption. But if it is a fact you can point us to the proof.

I don't have proof, Orv, only personal experience in talking to other passengers for many years. Most of them don't know it exists. And even when people find it interesting that these resources exist, they don't ask for information as to how to find them.

Just my experience.

Mura

After over 50 cruises in 30 years, I only found out about CC from someone onboard the Regatta in 2013. Never heard of it before then, and I am an avid internet researcher. I admit, on some boards I only lurk even though we’ve been on several other lines recently other than O.

I'm not really going to waste a lot of time trying to explain my position. But I do believe many formed their opinions years ago on this subject.

I would say that if you're talking to people in Oceania's demographic in the past 10 years odds might be good they wouldn't know about CC. But that is all changing.

It's a very connected, social media oriented society we live in today.

It's definitely not a fact either way, just perceptions.

I'm sure the technical people of CC would be able to let you know just how many people are accessing CC, not just members or posters.