Oceania Alaska Sea Days and Entertainment

carlsbadguy

Currently, have a Celebrity Alaska cruise booked but considering one of the Regatta cruises instead. Reading this board is making me rethink due to some of the comments. I was also wondering what they have for activities on the ship during sea days and entertainment at night. Are there any naturalist lectures?

I am not a very experienced cruiser as having just done a couple Carnival cruises with kids when young and more recently a Celebrity Europe cruise. We are a couple early 60's.

Depends on the departure port and itinerary. For the cruises that originate in Seattle the ship usually takes the scenic inside passage going north. There may or may not be a lecturer on board giving talks on Alaska wildlife.

We did a seven day Regatta cruise a couple of years ago with port calls of Prince Rupert, Sitka and Wrangall. We loved it, especially Sitka and Prince Rupert. At Prince Rupert you may take an excursion to the Khutzeymateen Grizzly Bear Sanctuary:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154939-d665665-Reviews-Khutzeymateen_Grizzly_Bear_Sanctuary-Prince_Rupert_British_Columbia.html

Sitka, a beautiful town, has many art galleries and Fortress of the Bear:

http://www.fortressofthebear.org/

Whilst we loved our Alaska cruise on Regatta in May last year, I wouldn't recommend Oceania to you if entertainment is a key consideration. I find their onboard lectures (if there are any) poor compared to other lines I have been on, and tend to relax with a book on sea days. Whilst there will always be a show in the evenings it can be quite hit and miss. Having said that, we had a great singer, Sonia, on our Regatta cruise. We had an excellent cruise director (Dotty), lovely food, amazing scenery and a relaxing ship. All in all it was a great cruise.

Sea days? I do not recall any on the 10 day but 1 on the 11/12 day, That being the outside passage going or coming. The best is the return to Vancouver via the inside passage in daylight.

The Hubbard glacier I guess qualifies as a sea day... because they cruise up to the glacier face ( but only really get close in August/September due to Ice flow/jams eariler)

The entertainment is limited as is the lectures, I dont recall any naturalist on board. but they have a canned script the cruise director reads. Most days your in a port every day and cruise by night, Tired and happy from the extensive shore activity during the day.

When your cruising there is so much to see up close, unlike other cruise destinations... Nature it the show in Alaska... and it beats any floor or lounge act.

Now sailing on Regatta VS Celebrity.

Regatta is a small 600 passenger ship laid out like a country boutique manor house.. with atmosphere and excellent variety in food.. Excellent service all low key and few if any kids ( avoid any cruise which offer a youth program un less you would like a vacation at Romper Room) Conversation at dinner is the principal entertainment ...which you will discover stimulating to say the least. Easy on and off with even tenders because of the small number passengers...

Oh and no nickel and dime sails.

Celebrity is a vegas vacation with a 2500+cross section of society from terrible 2's to cranky old drunks and to Bikers. Its a cost plus deal where your being hit on any time your out of the cabin. Getting on and off is a zoo,

They have shows, art auctions, you name it...( but is that the reason you want to go to Alaska?) Their ships have lawn's. Glass, blowing .... My take is that Celebrity is a cruise for people who don't want to be on a ship . A totally, to me , crummy experience.. you could just as well be anywhere, Vegas, Miami, LA.....

Food...if you want to pay extra$$$ is available but even their most expensive venues dosent come close to the outstanding meals (which on Regatta are ALL no charge) on Regatta

No thanks I will take Regatta with 1/4 the passengers and the atmosphere and excellent food, ( where else can you get Lobster in every restaurant , even the pool deck, everyday!!!

Not all cruises and ships are for everybody, which model fits YOU is important and should the key decision maker