Seattle Pike Place market

Cruisesfun65

I didn't see anyone mention the zoo. Is it worth a visit? possible without a car? how much time should we allow?

Yes! If you have kids the Zoo is fantastic and you should also do the pacific science center near the space needle. When my kids were younger those were the two season passes we bought every year.

Forty years in Vancouver meant a lot of trips taking visitors to Seattle and The Market. As several have already posted it is a nice place to wander — early— no one has mentioned that other than some souvenir trinkets, a lot of which aren’t made locally, most of what is sold there you won’t be taking onto a cruise ship. Fish, meat, fruit and vegetables are not welcome carryons particularly since your ship will be crossing borders and cruise lines are paranoid about food borne illnesses.

Seattle is a great city to walk around with lots to see. No less iconic for me than the Needle is the beautiful Smith Tower and watching the ferries while munching a “Texas Donut” from the bakery at the market always entertains me. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seattle is a great city to walk around with lots to see. No less iconic for me than the Needle is the beautiful Smith Tower and watching the ferries while munching a “Texas Donut” from the bakery at the market always entertains me. Enjoy!

I was going to mention the donuts but didn't for some reason. So I will add that there are some amazing ethnic bakeries on the east (starbucks) side of the market. And the when you are in the market definitely take advantage of the samples being offered by the fruit, seafood, meat vendors.

The

An Argosy cruise is pretty cool as well...similar to the Duck tour but all waterside.

The Underground tour is good for an initial visit to Seattle if you are interested in the city's history.

Marijuana is legal in Washington...if you are interested you will have no problem finding a recreational shop. I think there are even tours. Even if you are not interested in partaking visiting a shop is pretty interesting.

We did the Argosy cruise of the harbor as well as the Spiedel Underground tour and highly recommend both

MJ is also legal in Alaska - got a huge whiff of it in Ketchikan heading towards Creek Street - sure enough, saw a sign for the Stoney Moose.

This article has some detail and tips about the Starbucks at the Market: http://www.starbucksmelody.com/2017/11/04/look-1912-pike-place-first-starbucks/ (it also mentions a Starbucks you can visit on the 40th floor of the Columbia Center without paying for the Skyview Observatory, if you're there on a weekday). If you're looking to bring home a bag of the "Pike Place Special Reserve" beans (NOT the same as "Pike Place Blend" at your local store), you also can get it with far less craziness at the store at 1st and Pike.

The Starbucks in Columbia Center has a limited view but it is still pretty awesome

My wife wanted some souveniers from the "original" Starbucks and there is usually a line to get it - they sell different items in the Market store than corner store on 1st and Pike.

I didn't see anyone mention the zoo. Is it worth a visit? possible without a car? how much time should we allow?

Good zoo, big enough to spend 3 hours in if you go see everything. It's probably the touristy thing we have repeated most in Seattle. Local buses (Google Maps seems to have accurate schedule info) do run past, but it would be easier with a car - if you have multiple days and are splitting them into no-car/car days, save the zoo for a car day.

I've done the Spiegel Underground tour, that was interesting. Also done the Argosy cruise w/the Tillicum Village stop at Blake Island State Park. That was fun.

Also recommend the Savor Seattle Food Tour @ Pike Place. https://www.savorseattletours.com/

Chihuly display is gorgeous.

If possible, rent a car. So much to see in the area, don't miss Snoqualmie.

I've done the Spiegel Underground tour, that was interesting. Also done the Argosy cruise w/the Tillicum Village stop at Blake Island State Park. That was fun.

Also recommend the Savor Seattle Food Tour @ Pike Place. https://www.savorseattletours.com/

Chihuly display is gorgeous.

If possible, rent a car. So much to see in the area, don't miss Snoqualmie.

Oh yes! I can't believe I forgot about the underground tour! That was really neat and fun, something different too.

We also rented a car, just for 24 hours, on our last day there and did drive out to Snoqualmie Falls.

Continuing my previous stream of consciousness from the previous page...

I mentioned the 200 wineries in Woodinville but Seattle also has something like 75 Breweries so if you like beer there are brewery tours.

I love the shout outs to Snoqualmie Falls. It is pretty amazing (they best time is early Spring when the snow melt is causing it to rage). You can hike down to the bottom and feel the spray (but as I learned when mine were young...you might have to carry your kids back up).

In mid-summer Alki Beach is a nice place to spend a day (it is where Tom Hanks somehow took his kid from their lake union house boat in an outboard motor boat :) ).

Cruise season is also baseball season. The Mariner's have stunk for the past 15 years but Safeco is one of the best places to catch a game and they have a wonderful variety of concessions. Everett and Tacoma have minor league teams which are a lot of fun.

The Dahlia is a famous (Tom Douglas) Seattle restaurant but if you don't want to go there for a somewhat expensive dinner it is worth going for dessert.

The Boeing Museum of flight is pretty cool for kids (I think the Boeing Factory tour is better for older kids and adults).

If you have kids 8 and under they will love the Pacific Science Center near the Space Needle.

For older kids the EMP (Paul Allen project) also near the Space Needle is pretty cool. I think they renamed it but it is a SciFi/Music museum.

Seattle Center also has a Childrens Museum but mine liked the Science Center much more.

The Metropolitan Grill is where people go to be seen (and I love thier food) but El Gaucho in Belltown is know as THE Seattle Steakhouse.

If you have a car (or Uber) Palisade in Magnolia is probably my favorite restaurant...great view, food, and atmosphere.

There are some great pubs and whisky bars in and around The Market...especially Post Alley.

If you are staying around 6th and Pine (Hyatt, Sheriton, Camlin, Roosivelt, Mayflower, etc.), Dragonfish has a great late night happy hour.

For cruise visitors, my suggestion is to go to the market as early in the day as possible. Go for breakfast at one of the old-time cafes in the main arcade, such as Lowell's or the Athenian. Get there by 7:30 or 8, and after breakfast walk around the market as the merchants set up for the day, but be gone by 10, after which the crowds will become overwhelming. If you're here in July - September, maybe buy some flowers from the "low stalls" for your cabin on the boat - the selection and prices are very good.

I have seen reference to the “arcade” a few times. What does that mean? Just a section of the market?

I have seen reference to the “arcade” a few times. What does that mean? Just a section of the market?

The market basically is on both sides of Pike Place. The main arcade is the covered area on the west (water) side of Pike Place. It's where the "high stalls" selling produce, fish etc. are located, the "low stalls" where farmers sell produce, flowers, etc., and a number of restaurants and shops. Picture:

photos-4.jpg

Since this thread is turning into something of a Seattle tour guide, I thought I'd add one more area that gets overlooked by visitors but which (in my view) constitutes a real "beating heart" of the city.

Fishermen's Terminal is Seattle's fishing port, home to a big fraction of the Alaska fishing fleet as well as a sizeable fleet that fishes Washington waters. It's located alongside the Lake Washington Ship Canal, which forms the "fresh water" side of the Ballard Locks (fresh above, salt below).

It's easily reached by car, cab or Uber from downtown (probably around $15 - $20, so not a deal breaker for couples or small groups) and you can spend a couple of very enjoyable hours walking around the piers and floats. There are a couple of excellent restaurants and pubs, including Chinook's, which has some pretty terrific food, and my fave, the Bay Cafe, an old-fashioned diner with a huge breakfast menu, and the Highliner pub. There's also an excellent fish merchant, some marine hardware vendors, a convenience shop or two, etc.

It's a wonderful location to go for breakfast. Load up on carbs then walk them off around the boats, the nets, and the memorial to the fishers who've paid the ultimate price. For Alaska-bound visitors interested in the Deadliest Catch and all that, this is where they come from.

P1000106as.jpg

P1000240a.jpg

Edited to add: Here's a map showing the locations of the Pike market, Pier 66 cruise terminal, Pier 91 cruise terminal, Fishermen's Terminal, and the Ballard locks north (main) entrance. https://goo.gl/maps/GmGsW1ubZkJ2

Edited by Gardyloo

Has anyone been to both Snoqualmie Falls and Mt. Ranier area? Which is better? I am looking at the West Loop Drive, really want to go to Grove of Patriarchs and Reflection Lake. I have looked at the Falls too so am debating between the two. Thoughts?

Has anyone been to both Snoqualmie Falls and Mt. Ranier area? Which is better? I am looking at the West Loop Drive, really want to go to Grove of Patriarchs and Reflection Lake. I have looked at the Falls too so am debating between the two. Thoughts?

Sno Falls is much closer and maybe a little more spectacular but you could probably to both. Snoqualmie is 30 mins east of Seattle and connects to Highway 18 which will take you towards Rainier...so you would essentially drive another 30 mins to see both. Driving and seeing Mount Rainier (Parking at Paradise for example) is kind of an all day thing anyway and seeing Snoqualmie Falls (assuming you don't hike down) is sort of a see it, appreciate it, and leave.

Map it with Sno Falls as a way point and see what you think.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Makes it bit easier for those are from out of state.

We are staying downtown at the Hampton Inn. We wont have a car, but up for Uber-ing. Looking for a good local place for dinner, around downtown or the Market, that would appeal to teens as well. We will be there for two nights.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Makes it bit easier for those are from out of state.

We are staying downtown at the Hampton Inn. We wont have a car, but up for Uber-ing. Looking for a good local place for dinner, around downtown or the Market, that would appeal to teens as well. We will be there for two nights.

Assuming your teens like to eat are not vegetarians then I recommend The Grill from Ipanema...here is a groupon that gives a pretty good discount. It is about 3 or 4 blocks from the Market.

Anyone aware of any restaurants which offer decent gluten free options on their menu?

Or do all restaurants / cafes in Seattle offer something?

From the UK and this will be our first time in Seattle so unsure about this aspect.

Planning to stay at inn on the market at pike place.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anyone aware of any restaurants which offer decent gluten free options on their menu?

Or do all restaurants / cafes in Seattle offer something?

From the UK and this will be our first time in Seattle so unsure about this aspect.

Planning to stay at inn on the market at pike place.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You won't have any problem. Almost every restaurant will have some GF options and several restaurants specialize in gluten free...Here is a list of a few of them.