Food on Explorer

mrstanley

Speaking of food, I had a problem with swelling , as I usually do on any cruise line. It seemed to be worse on the Explorer, though, to the point where I had to struggle to put on a shoe and a ring which usually is a bit loose was fitting perfectly. Some of this I bring on myself, as I am a glutton for cheese and there was plenty to be had. I tried to drink lots of water and on the next cruise I'll try sweating it out. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. What do others do?

A cruise is the ONLY place I have this problem. I am sure it is from the salt content in the food. I usually do not salt anything myself.

I explained this to my doctor and she gave me a low dose HCT (water pill) to take when this occurs....problem solved !

Sorry - meant Lobster tempura.

Okay - we have that every time we are on Explorer -- yummy!

Ships - if you do a Google search as to why we swell up on cruise ships, there are several interesting articles. Humidity and salt in the air is mentioned so it isn't just about food.

Okay - we have that every time we are on Explorer -- yummy!

Ships - if you do a Google search as to why we swell up on cruise ships, there are several interesting articles. Humidity and salt in the air is mentioned so it isn't just about food.

Curious. Please post the link(s) that says humidity and "salt air" are a factor in water retention. Thanks.

J

Curious. Please post the link(s) that says humidity and "salt air" are a factor in water retention. Thanks.

J

There were so many articles but the majority were not from reliable sources. There are discussions about swelling after swimming in salt water, flying in airplanes and simply visiting the beach. As all of us know, we can eat salty meals and not have swelling. My DH (very thin and no health issues) gets swollen feet every time he is on an airplane for a few hours and is not eating salty food. The only article (from a physician) that I could come up with makes a one line reference to sea air and it is written by a foot doctor. Here is the link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/6952532/Why-do-my-feet-and-ankles-swell-when-Im-on-a-ships-cruise.html

The one sentence in this article is highlighted below

While researching the reasons why you only suffer from edema on board cruise ships, I discovered that a number of people have experienced similar symptoms. The common denominator was that chefs on board the cruise ships were using large amounts of salt in their cooking, together with the fact that travellers tend to eat more on a cruise. Sea air contains much higher levels of salt, which adds to the problem.

I too can suffer from swollen feet and my doctor suggested that it could be a factor of things, but the biggest one being inactivity and not keeping myself hydrated with enough water.

When I thought about it, both of these I'm probably guilty of at the start of a trip. A long air flight, 9+hrs, then often all we do is unpack and go to bed, followed by a couple of lazy-ish days, with an increased alcohol consummation. [We rarely drink, maybe an odd glass or two a month]

Since then, we have always taken at least a litres worth of water on a flight each, and have more water each time it is offered, get up and do some gentle leg exercises and try to take a walk before bed, and to walk the next couple of days as well.

I have certainly found this helps greatly.

There has also been a debate on another cruise page, P&O about this and many people swear that drinking the desalinated water on board the ship makes water retention worse, but I'm not convinced.

Interesting comments about Food, keep in mind Food is subjective, what one Loves another Hates. You can read this forum on ANY CRUISE LINE and find the same comments of both Good and Bad. I think we all have experienced Food not up to our Standards at Restaurants as well as Cruise Ships. I am of the belief that a disappointing meal can happen in the best of venues, but I also know that your Five Star Cruise Ships will provide much better Food time and time again, I stand by Regent and Oceania as the best on the Seas.

I too can suffer from swollen feet and my doctor suggested that it could be a factor of things, but the biggest one being inactivity and not keeping myself hydrated with enough water.

When I thought about it, both of these I'm probably guilty of at the start of a trip. A long air flight, 9+hrs, then often all we do is unpack and go to bed, followed by a couple of lazy-ish days, with an increased alcohol consummation. [We rarely drink, maybe an odd glass or two a month]

Since then, we have always taken at least a litres worth of water on a flight each, and have more water each time it is offered, get up and do some gentle leg exercises and try to take a walk before bed, and to walk the next couple of days as well.

I have certainly found this helps greatly.

There has also been a debate

on another cruise page, P&O about this and many people swear that drinking the desalinated water on board the ship makes water retention worse, but I'm not convinced.

Only drink bottled water. Our feet swell as well when we don’t. Some food items are over salted which will make you retain water.

Another opinion. At home, I get very good meat, vegetables, and potatoes and superb baked goods from DW. So when we cruise (only on Regent) I mainly exist on sea food, fish, souffles, omelets and unique dishes such as cold soups all of which I've found delicious. DW (a carnivore) loves the rack of lamb, pork sliders, and the carving table in La Verandah at lunch. She has a running battle with Regent pastry chefs that their cupcakes are "too dense". My only consistent complaints about Regent food (other than the coffee) is that the French fries, pizzas and dinner soups should be hotter.

We just returned from 10 days on Explorer as well and we could not have been happier with the overall dining experience. My DW has MAJOR food allergies and they bent over backwards to make sure she had a great dining experience. A couple of points to pass on - not every dish was to our liking but if we wanted it adjusted (ie underdone, hotter, etc) all you had to do was ask. One of the joys of the food on a cruise ship is trying new things and my waistline shows I tried many! Service for us was great but I did make mention each evening to the waiter if we were going to the show and they never missed getting us out on time. We were also sat at large tables each night so getting courses coordinated was a challenge I am sure but we always got to the show if we were going. I did not notice the lights being too bright but found that it was fine for meeting new people. Perhaps if you were going to dinner for a romantic table for two it would be different. The only one we did not try was Pacific Rim because DW could not handle the aroma due to her allergies.