Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Whoa! You know what they say about the first sign of insanity.......Jumping from subject to subject! Well, welcome to the club ♥ I'm the queen of doing this!

Haha Nancy pants!!

Nothing like Queenie calling me out! She was lucky I made sentences! I get to going so fast, and of course don't want to miss telling you guys anything, so I just keep typing! :hearteyes::')

APHIS 7001 form question: I'm working with my USDA vet on my APHIS forms for my upcoming cruise and I had a question about the "destination" (box 6). Do I put the Cruise Ship name? We don't really have a destination since we are just going on some excursions. What did ya'll do for this box? Thanks!!

APHIS 7001 form question: I'm working with my USDA vet on my APHIS forms for my upcoming cruise and I had a question about the "destination" (box 6). Do I put the Cruise Ship name? We don't really have a destination since we are just going on some excursions. What did ya'll do for this box? Thanks!!

For my Panama Canal Cruise, this is how box 6 was filled out

(My Name) (Cruise Ship Passenger on Celebrity Cruise Line) (Vessel Name Infinity)

San Francisco, California to Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Ports of Call: Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, etc. (list all ports of call)

Dianne

Well, we finally got some real weather. It's cold, rainy and feels like winter.

I hope all of you are safe, I know that there are some really drastic weather conditions for some of you.....Please take care!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

My vet and I do it the same way Dianne outlined. A time or two, if I was not planning to get off due to onerous paperwork restrictions, we added “passenger will not disembark with dog in Barbados” or similar. Or you can put that in the comments box. Saves time in case you have to have the 7001 countersigned by a regional APHIS office for one of the other ports and they choose to go over it with a fine-toothed comb.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Roz sent you an email

I hope I was helpful.

Whenever you're booking an excursion, ask about the placement of your Service Dog.

If there is not enough space for him to lay on the floor comfortably than it's best to pass it up.

Brenda didn't mind being placed under tables, chairs, seats, etc. Horton, not so much. He prefers to be able to watch me at all times. They're all different in their comfort zones.

I'm back from the Caribbean! Boy do I miss it today! It is COLD outside here in mid-Missouri!

Someone had a "Service Dog" on the second week of my B2B on Silhouette. I had left Scooter home (Which cured my son and his GF of wanting a dog for quite some time. Scooter is spoiled and used to being on the GO all the time with me.) Anyway, the guy had a long haired doxy. Cute pup, quiet, and just followed him around.

Problem - he picked it up and set it next to him on the couch in the coffee shop (Cafe Al Bacio) a number of times, and was holding it in his lap at the bar in the Ensamble Lounge, and the dog's head was close to the bar - and the fruit and such used in drinks. As a friend of mine says, it is way to easy to treat a small dog like a cat and just haul it around, yet when you have a larger dog, you teach it to behave and mind correctly.

I never asked what the dog did for him, but I wasn't impressed with his behavior at times. I fully believe in 4 on the floor for the dog The funny thing - when he had the dog on the couch while I watch, there wasn't even anyone else crowding him!

A number of people were commenting about the dog - mainly what I mention above. Gives us all a bad name. Sigh.

My next cruise is in another year, again on Silhouette. We will be going to St. Croix, USVI, St. Marteen, Barbados, Grenada, Dominica and St. Kitts (where I'll probably stay on the ship). I really like going to the beach when we reach the islands. Between now and then, I need to decide if I'm taking Scooter or leaving him here at home. Decisions, decisions. Can I keep the lab out of the water - particularly if I'm IN the water?

I'm back from the Caribbean! Boy do I miss it today! It is COLD outside here in mid-Missouri!

Someone had a "Service Dog" on the second week of my B2B on Silhouette. I had left Scooter home (Which cured my son and his GF of wanting a dog for quite some time. Scooter is spoiled and used to being on the GO all the time with me.) Anyway, the guy had a long haired doxy. Cute pup, quiet, and just followed him around.

Problem - he picked it up and set it next to him on the couch in the coffee shop (Cafe Al Bacio) a number of times, and was holding it in his lap at the bar in the Ensamble Lounge, and the dog's head was close to the bar - and the fruit and such used in drinks. As a friend of mine says, it is way to easy to treat a small dog like a cat and just haul it around, yet when you have a larger dog, you teach it to behave and mind correctly.

I never asked what the dog did for him, but I wasn't impressed with his behavior at times. I fully believe in 4 on the floor for the dog The funny thing - when he had the dog on the couch while I watch, there wasn't even anyone else crowding him!

A number of people were commenting about the dog - mainly what I mention above. Gives us all a bad name. Sigh.

My next cruise is in another year, again on Silhouette. We will be going to St. Croix, USVI, St. Marteen, Barbados, Grenada, Dominica and St. Kitts (where I'll probably stay on the ship). I really like going to the beach when we reach the islands. Between now and then, I need to decide if I'm taking Scooter or leaving him here at home. Decisions, decisions. Can I keep the lab out of the water - particularly if I'm IN the water?

Hi, As a person with a six-pound service dog, I'd like to give you a different perspective. People cannot see a small dog on the floor, therefore, for her safety and the safety of others, my service dog is either carried or in her carrier. Her carrier looks like a carry-on bag with wheels. Where food is served, she is in her carrier under the table. However, I have a number of disabilities, including some phobias. If I'm starting to panic, I would need to have her body next to me. It is quite possible that the gentleman suffers from PTSD or anxiety attacks in crowds, and therefore requires the service dog be physically next to him. Medic Alert and Hearing dogs also need to be within reach of their owners, something that is difficult for small dogs on the floor. :)

Hi' date=' As a person with a six-pound service dog, I'd like to give you a different perspective. People cannot see a small dog on the floor, therefore, for her safety and the safety of others, my service dog is either carried or in her carrier. Her carrier looks like a carry-on bag with wheels. Where food is served, she is in her carrier under the table. However, I have a number of disabilities, including some phobias. If I'm starting to panic, I would need to have her body next to me. It is quite possible that the gentleman suffers from PTSD or anxiety attacks in crowds, and therefore requires the service dog be physically next to him. Medic Alert and Hearing dogs also need to be within reach of their owners, something that is difficult for small dogs on the floor. :)[/quote']Thanks for that perspective.

I get it, totally.

The issue was the dog sitting next to him on the couch, and his choice of location at the bar- and the dog being that close to the bar.

Just some thing to keep in mind.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hi everyone!

Have been missing on here AGAIN. Life seems to get in the way. Hope all of you are doing well. Jagger did his second cruise, both of which were on Disney. He's going on two more this year, the Carnival Liberty.

I am doing a cruise that includes the Turks and Caicos, so may not take him on that one this year. (will have a service human) But, I have a second one to the same destinations in 2019 and will probably take him on that. I refuse to over vaccinate him, sand what the heck do they need a titer test for if he's up to date on rabies?

Sigh...

Hi everyone!

Have been missing on here AGAIN. Life seems to get in the way. Hope all of you are doing well. Jagger did his second cruise, both of which were on Disney. He's going on two more this year, the Carnival Liberty.

I am doing a cruise that includes the Turks and Caicos, so may not take him on that one this year. (will have a service human) But, I have a second one to the same destinations in 2019 and will probably take him on that. I refuse to over vaccinate him, sand what the heck do they need a titer test for if he's up to date on rabies?

Sigh...

I agree one thousand percent!

Thanks for that perspective.

I get it, totally.

The issue was the dog sitting next to him on the couch, and his choice of location at the bar- and the dog being that close to the bar.

Just some thing to keep in mind.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I understand your concern. If I see a dog in close vicinity to the bar, table top, etc. I'm not bothered as long as the dog is acting appropriately i.e not whining, barking, licking, barking, etc. Although, all of the above could be "signals" that the dog uses to "alert" his owner. This has to be handled with great restraint and kindness, it's a touchy subject, to say the least.

If the dog is truly "working" it's obvious. If I see that the dog is just being bothersome I will call out the owner.

Hi . . . Has anyone here taken their service dog on an American Cruises ship? They do mostly river travel. I have emailed them three times asking for their service dog policy, and they do not respond. Hmm.

Contact: Viking River Cruises - 1-855-711-3977 or www.vikingrivercruises.com. or American River Cruises - 1-888-3227057 or www.americancruiselines.com.

Speak to the special services dept. There should be no problem with bringing your Service Dog onboard these lines.

Let us know what happens.

Finally got through to American Cruise Lines by way of its Facebook page and a helpful moderator there. As Roz said, no problem with service dogs, but they do officially demand documentation that the dog is a trained service dog, which is against ADA rules but maybe nobody's pointed that out to them, or perhaps it's just a way of keeping the frauds away.

Here's ACL's policy:

AMERICAN CRUISE LINES: The only animalsAmerican Cruise Lines permits on board our ships are working service dogs,which are legally defined and individually trained to meet disability-relatedneeds by performing tasks like guiding a blind person, alerting a deaf person,pulling wheelchairs, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure,or performing other special tasks. Working service dogs are not pets.

Service dogs in training are not allowedaboard.

Servicedogs are permitted to accompany the person with a disability in all publicareas, including dining venues. While in public areas, service dogs must be ona leash, harness or other restraining device. Due to health and safetyconcerns, service dogs are not permitted to eat off of the tables in the diningroom or sit on dining room chairs or tables.

Careand supervision of the service dog is the sole responsibility of the owner. Theships are not required to provide food or care for the dog. Note that theship's staff is not required to care for the dog, nor can the dog be left inthe stateroom unattended. American Cruise Lines will provide a potty boxif ordered prior to the cruises departure.

ACLmust have documents 21 days before the cruise departs.

The following documents are required: IDCard; Service Certificate; Rabies Certificate; Vaccination Records.