Train from Anchorage to Seward

primetimegirl

I've been waiting for NCL to post information about the train from Anchorage to Seward and finally saw it this morning. It leaves from the airport. Is this something new? I thought it left from the train station in town early in the morning. The website says to be there by 12:00 p.m. and it arrives in Seward at 6:00. I booked hotel close to train station for this reason.

OK, Should I take the early train from downtown (6:45) on my own, or find transportation back to the airport to take the NCL train?

You're mostly getting the same thing. I am a huge fan of the Alaska railroad and have never had a bad experience and the price is generally cheaper. With the early train, you get the whole day in Seward to do things there. If I had to choose, I would do the early train.

You're mostly getting the same thing. I am a huge fan of the Alaska railroad and have never had a bad experience and the price is generally cheaper. With the early train, you get the whole day in Seward to do things there. If I had to choose, I would do the early train.

Totally agree! Be sure to spring for the 'Gold Service'....it's worth it! And request the front seats in the front car, for a spectacular "engineer's eye view" of the scenery. And get to the station to check in early....there is a snack bar for coffee, and a great ARR logo gift shop in the station.:cool:

OK, Should I take the early train from downtown (6:45) on my own, or find transportation back to the airport to take the NCL train?

I would take the early train. You can check your bags all the way to the cruise ship from the station. Once in Seward, you have a lot time to explore. Take a Kenai Fjords tour, visit Exit Glacier, or even the Sea life center. Don’t feel you have to take the NCL train. I wouldn’t.

The cruise contracted train is more costly and you are missing out on touring opportunities. Frankly- I wouldn't miss opportunities in Seward. Have you looked at possibilities? Any interest? A jackpot varied wildlife and glacier boat tour is possible as example.

Thank you all for this information. I have a group of 30. I think I will stick to my original plan and walk to the station for the early train. We are staying at the Anchorage Grand on 2nd Ave. Is this really walkable? I wanted a hotel that we could walk around Anchorage and walk to the train station.

Thank you all for this information. I have a group of 30. I think I will stick to my original plan and walk to the station for the early train. We are staying at the Anchorage Grand on 2nd Ave. Is this really walkable? I wanted a hotel that we could walk around Anchorage and walk to the train station.

I looked on Google Maps satellite view. It looks like if you leave the hotel towards E street, there is the Lower Bowl parking lot (train parking???). Looks like there is a tunnel under the road that leads to the upper parking lot where you walk to the depot building. Go to Google Maps, type in Anchorage Grand hotel, and once the map comes up change it to Satellite.

Glad you are sticking with your plans for the early train. As someone else said, spring for the Gold Service. We did that and it was so worth it and still cheaper than the cruisline transfer. :) As BudgetQueen said, look into taking a Kenai Fjords tour. They are chock full of wildlife plus you can get up pretty close to a glacier - in case you don't get close on your cruise. So glad we did this - and the food wasn't bad either.

It's definitely walkable. It is a hill but isn't too crazy at all. Walked it a couple times today for the Rondy at the top of the hill and the parking down at ship creek.

• 1 year later...

I booked the Train from Alaskan rail for $110 leaving at 06:45. Then I saw that NCL was selling the train for $99.00 w ($89.00 with 10% off for Status)leaving at 12:00. I am confused other than departure time is there any difference between the trains. I read that with Alaska Rail you arrive at the train station and with NCL they arrive directly at the port. Any clarity on the train would be appreciated.

Edited by mbart25

The trains are essentially the same.  The fares you quoted would be in the standard cars I believe.  We booked thru the cruise line a few years ago and it was in the domed cars......very scenic trip.  We didn't like getting to the ship so late though.

We are going again in a few weeks and wanted to take the early train.  When I called and asked, they said they do NOT drop you directly at the cruise terminal......or get your luggage to the ship.  I don't think it's a long walk to the terminal but hauling all of your luggage may be an issue.....particularly if it is raining.

We opted to take a shuttle that will pick us up at our hotel and stop at some of the scenic sites along the way, including the wildlife conservation site.  They will drip us at the cruise terminal around 1:00 PM.  Still leaves time to see Seward and an excursion.

On 5/27/2019 at 4:04 AM, mbart25 said:

I booked the Train from Alaskan rail for $110 leaving at 06:45. Then I saw that NCL was selling the train for $99.00 w ($89.00 with 10% off for Status)leaving at 12:00. I am confused other than departure time is there any difference between the trains. I read that with Alaska Rail you arrive at the train station and with NCL they arrive directly at the port. Any clarity on the train would be appreciated.

Yes, the early train lets you off at the train station in Seward, which is not very far from the port. Last year we walked to the port, but there is a local shuttle that will pick you up from the train station and let you off at the port. We left about 10 minutes ahead of the folks who were waiting for the shuttle, and they beat us there. Also, our luggage was delivered to the port, so we didn't have to worry about schlepping those bags.

The NCL contracted train uses a different set of tracks that drop you off right in front of the port. 

I would keep your 6:45 a.m. reservation and either book one of the Kenai Fjords cruises, go to the Alaska Sea Life Center or mosey around town. The shuttle to town and the Sea Life Center comes to the port fairly regularly.