Singapore to Hong Kong question

Caroldoll

I am currently on the 2018 version of that cruise. The port for Bangkok is Laem Chabang , which you can look up. I believe it’s about :45 away, so not right on the Chao Praya.

The port for Ho Chi Minh, lists the city as the port. Having docked there before, I remember it being close, but industrial. Not a walk off port.

We’ve hired drivers for both ports.

I am currently on the 2018 version of that cruise. The port for Bangkok is Laem Chabang , which you can look up. I believe it’s about :45 away, so not right on the Chao Praya.

The port for Ho Chi Minh, lists the city as the port. Having docked there before, I remember it being close, but industrial. Not a walk off port.

We’ve hired drivers for both ports.

Laem Chabang is approx 120 minutes from Bangkok (depending on traffic and where in the city.) It could be as much as 3 hours if traffic is really bad and you are going to one of the hotels on the river like the Peninsula.

The ship docks quite close to Ho Chi Minh city centre - a shortish taxi ride, but just too far to walk comfortably. When we did an overniight there, we booked into the Saigon Park Hyatt for the night and they sent a limo to pick us up at the dock entrance. You can enjoy the lovely pool, go shopping in a relaxed frame of mind, eat at the hotel or one of the many good Vietnamese restaurants, and enjoy crossing the road in the evening with a 1000 motorcycles bearing down on you.

If you are tempted I recomend a Deluxe room, which comes with a Terrace and direct pool access. Ask for one away from the pool, as a number of them overlook the pool directly, and can be a bit noisy ( depends on time of year and no. of guests).

Laem Chabang: personally not a big fan of Bankok. Unless you are deparate to see it I would give it a miss from LC. Unfortunately I can't suggest any alternatives (Pattaya?). Stay on board and have spa day.

I would not recommend these Asian itineraries. The cities are quite a long way from the ports, the traffic is mega-horrendous and, most importantly, you will miss out on proper sightseeing and several utterly fabulous hotels and restaurants. I think cruising is best when you visit out of the way places. Singapore, Bangkok and Saigon should be savoured by land-based tours.

Unlike earlier posters I think that the visit to Ho Chi Minh city is one of the best in the cruising calendar.The sail in/ out along the Saigon river is worth the fare alone and the city itself is energetic, historic and vibrant.

The Seabourn ships are only just small enough to be able to navigate the river and larger vessels are consigned to an uninteresting container port away from the city.Watch as the ship weaves its way through vessels and craft of every size and complexion proceeded by a pilot ship ushering the slow out of our way.

You probably need an early call but its not be missed.

The dock is only a couple of blocks from downtown and shuttle buses are provided.

See the stunning French colonial architecture, visit the market to end all markets, evocative and moving museums and enjoy great seafood and Asian spices.

In Thailand it's a real shame that Seabourn stick to Laem Chabang which is a pretty dull container port and as others have said too far from Bangkok for easy travel.The nearby seaside resorts with the shuttle bus are probably a better choice.

I would not recommend these Asian itineraries. The cities are quite a long way from the ports, the traffic is mega-horrendous and, most importantly, you will miss out on proper sightseeing and several utterly fabulous hotels and restaurants. I think cruising is best when you visit out of the way places. Singapore, Bangkok and Saigon should be savoured by land-based tours.

Sometimes if you are not sure if you feel comfortable in an environment it is nice to get a taste on a cruise and then you can decide if you want to go back. Having done quite a bit of Asian travel I know what places I like but that differs for others.

IMO I have enjoyed parts of Bangkok, though my favourite place was an ocean fishing village an hour outside of Bangkok. Ho Chi Minh was interesting and we will visit again next year but the smog is difficult to deal with. So for me a land trip has no appeal, though I would happily spend a few days in Hoi An which we first visited on a port stop. Singapore is a place I happily revisit and will be back again for six days next month.

So I can understand why some people would prefer to to do a taste test via a cruise. One thing I would recommend if possible is to book a land tour out of Singapore to visit Siem Reap for a few days. We did this in January for five days prior to a cruise and it was definitely a travel highlight.

Julie

Ho Chi Minh port is very close and central, you can just walk to the exit and catch a taxi which we did and then did a 'back of the bike tour' of the city. Scary, exhilerating, interesting, different and one of the best independent excursions we've ever done, highly recommended.

There is actually a very close in port in Bangkok at Klong Tooey (spelling??). It's only about 1/2 hour from Bangkok and I believe Azamara is the only one who goes there. I know Seabourn use to go there but don't know if they still do.

Azamara also uses a very close in port in Saigon and I know many of the cruise lines use one that's about an hour away. Don't know if Seabourn uses that.

Will the ship overnight at Laem Chabang? If so it is a good opportunity to spend a night in Bangkok and have sufficient time to see the Grand Palace and grounds (one of my personal favorites - absolute eye candy despite the very humid heat) as well as some other things. In 2008 we hired a car and guide for four of us and had a wonderful two day tour, including dinner on one of the river boats.

We've done this itinerary several times with Azamara. In both HCM and Bangkok, Az docks close in with shuttle buses to central locations (5 min drive HCM); 20-30min Bangkok, depending on traffic). I'm only commenting here as I'm very surprised that Seabourn doesn't do the same - I thought it was only the bigger ships that dock several hours out (a fact that isn't well advertised). Given that Seabourn doesn't give you easy access to Bangkok, I'd suggest you look elsewhere, as Bangkok is one of, if not the, highlight of the itinerary - an astounding city.

Every time I've been on Seabourn in Bangkok they have docked at Klong Toey which is about twenty minutes from central Bangkok. I'm surprised they are docking at Laem chasing now.

Checking the Seabourn site for all cruises stopping in Bangkok on any ship shows it's Laem Chabang every time now. The only cruises I can find stopping at Klong Toey in the next two years are a few from Silversea (last time we sailed with them from BKK it was Laem Chabang but that was some years ago), a couple of Azamaras and a Regent or two.

I'll agree Laem Chabang is frustratingly far away from Bangkok, especially if you catch a traffic jam or roadworks.

I'll generally agree with the sentiment in this thread that the Asian cruises, on all lines, are lacking something compared to other destinations. Asia still isn't really that cruise-orientated, the ports are mostly industrial and there are few 'walk off the ship' ports, which we really enjoy elsewhere. That said, if you've not been to Asia or visited these places and are prepared to use the ship as a moving hotel and book tours in most places to get from it to the things you want to see, it's a good way to get a taste of Asia and decide where you want to come back to.

Thank you all for your comments. We did this cruise once on Seabourn Pride, one of her last days! LOL. In both ports we were close. We have heard of the distances, and it is unfortunate. For this reason, I will check Azamura. We do not want to be so far from town. Thanks a million.

Some good advice, some not so good advice :)

The Saigon river is indeed a wonderful journey and something to be savoured. Once docked at Ho Chi Min there is a regular 10 minute shuttle (free) to the heart of the city dropping you off by the Opera House / Rex Hotel. Local taxis are also available. I'm not sure it would warrant booking a hotel in Ho Chi Min given the ship is so close to the city. Overnight ports of call allow lots of flexibility.

Laem Chabang is a fair haul from Bangkok, if you insist on going do it with the ship so there is no danger of getting left behind. But can I suggest an alternative. Whilst Pattaya wouldn't be the highlight of my trip particularly during the day time you could visit the Sanctuary of Truth temple complex which is about 15-20 minutes by taxi from the ship and 10 minutes closer than Pattaya proper. An interesting half day wandering around.

Kho Kood is probably the best beach day Seabourn offer on the planet.

Hoi An in Vietnam is a delightful place to wander round and enjoy lunch by the waterway. An easy private taxi journey from the ship takes you through rural Vietnam with its rice fields and also past some expansive beaches.

Halong Bay is a UNESCO world heritage site. If I'm honest the ship's tours start far too early and are back before lunch when you don't leave until the evening but it's a great place if you can arrange something privately or get Seabourn to pull their finger out and sort out more social timings :)

Singapore pre-cruise is one of the best pre-cruise destinations on the planet perfect for 2 or 3 days to settle down. Safe, easy to get around, something for everyone with lots of accommodation.

Hong Kong at the end of the cruise is also a destination in it's self for a few days.

In fact why don't I just show you. Made during our cruise in 2015 / 2016

UB9Ncy2-3Xg

Henry :)

Unfortunately this cruise isn’t doing an overnight in Laem Chabang/Bangkok. We hired a car/driver to drive us into Bangkok , but with a 5:30 departure, time will be tight.

Fortunately the Sojourn is doing an overnight in HCM city, and docking in the city....can’t wait!

I don't think SB ever does an overnight in Bangkok hence my suggestion of doing the Sanctuary of Truth instead.

In my humble opinion going self catering and using your own transportation for Bangkok is a risk too far given the distance involved and possibility of traffic delays. It would stress me out the whole day. With a ship organised trip there is no worry at all.

Having said that I visit Thailand quite often off my own back and fly into BKK from London so would have no need to visit via a splash & dash whilst cruising. My top tip for the place is a river dinner cruise at night on an old wooden rice barge. Obviously not something you can do on the cruise.

If you want to visit Bangkok then why not add it on to the trip pre-cruise. An easy 2 1/2 hour flight separates Bangkok and Singapore. 2 or 3 nights in both would help you set your body clock for the trip and also allow you to explore these top destinations properly. Then settle down on board to relax for a few days.....

If you want to visit Bangkok then why not add it on to the trip pre-cruise. An easy 2 1/2 hour flight separates Bangkok and Singapore. 2 or 3 nights in both would help you set your body clock for the trip and also allow you to explore these top destinations properly. Then settle down on board to relax for a few days.....

As a Singapore citizen, resident and general Singapore cheerleader I have to agree that a trip to BKK pre- or post- cruise would be a great plan. Leave your major luggage at the Singapore hotel, please pick one of the regional airlines which fly there multiple times a day very cheaply and don't go lowest price on the Bangkok hotel, the middle tier hotels there are quite excellent. I first went to Bangkok 30 years ago and it was a bit of a trial, now it's a place to go to de-stress from life at home with modern hotels, great restaurants and a really relaxed atmosphere.

If the ship docks at Laeb Chaem for a day during the cruise and you've already visited, stay onboard, skip 4 hours of gruesome traffic and have a couple of glasses of the Nikky F.

Unfortunately this cruise isn’t doing an overnight in Laem Chabang/Bangkok. We hired a car/driver to drive us into Bangkok , but with a 5:30 departure, time will be tight.

Fortunately the Sojourn is doing an overnight in HCM city, and docking in the city....can’t wait!

Who in Seabourn's crazy world of allotting time in port scheduled Lam Chebang with a 5:30PM departure time? Bangkok is one of the highlights of these cruises so even with a car and driver you'll be lucky to have four hours there. If they're going to dock so far away to should definitely be an overnight even if it means skipping a different port.

Henry, I agree.

The drive is at least 90 minutes away and on the return one has to allow sufficient pad just in case.

There should be an overnight so that guests have the option of spending the night in Bangkok and then the departure should be late night the following night.

Keith

Who in Seabourn's crazy world of allotting time in port scheduled Lam Chebang with a 5:30PM departure time? Bangkok is one of the highlights of these cruises so even with a car and driver you'll be lucky to have four hours there. If they're going to dock so far away to should definitely be an overnight even if it means skipping a different port.

I agree. Very poor planning by Seabourn.

Agree with the others that Laem Chabang is far from Bangkok and traffic is horrendous. What we did was to book the ship's excursion that was just the bus ride back & forth. We didn't want to risk going on our own and missing the boat. We also booked a private tour for Bangkok. Our guide picked us up at the shopping center where the ship's bus dropped us off, took us to see the Grand Palace, a temple or two, the Jim Thompson main store (my request) and then returned us back at the shopping center well in time for the bus ride back. My only complaint was not enough time in Bangkok. This was on Crystal, so I don't know if Seabourn provides the option of a back & forth bus.