Shoulda i give my kids anything for sea sickness?

gozagswoohoo

It is probably to late for my comments.

Our son never had a problem.

But our daughter did. She used to also get car sick so we did come prepared for her with children's bonine which we had discussed ahead of time with her pediatrician and she did need it.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
The first cruise i ever went on (11 years ago, before i had children), my grandmother got HORRIBLE sea/motion sickness. It was a nightmare, and she was miserable for 5 days.

We now leave for a cruise in 3 days, and I have two boys, ages 6 and 9. I’m thinking that kids are probably MUCH less succeptible to sea sickness, but I just see images of my grandmother doubled over in her room for 5 days and i get terrified.

Have your kids ever had issues on a cruise? Should i give them anything preventative? Walmart has mostly just tablets for age 12 and up...

I haven't read the whole thread but here's what our favorite NP (nurse practictioner) suggested for our son--take liquid allergy medication (Claritin, etc) because it'll have the same effect as Bonine, etc which are adult-strength seasick medications.

My son's not prone to sea-sickness but we always take it just in case along with our ship board first aid kit bag which contains band aids, sea sick meds for DH and I, allergy medication for our son and ibuprofen in both pill form (for DH and I) and liquid form for our son (he has a very strong gag reflex and can't swallow pills). Both DH and DS are prone to migraines and if we don't get meds in my son soon enough after he starts complaining of even a mild headache, he starts throwing up. And that's not fun.

You can also give them ginger ale (we carry a 12 pack onboard with us for this reason) and that helps also.

Talk to your ped. But mine take kids Dramamine. Our ped recommends taking it about an hour before we sail. If they are doing ok, don’t continue. Allergy meds do not work for my children. Nor do the bands or ginger alone. We are on our 5th cruise and find the lowest dose works for both of mine. But be careful once you start to get sick it is hard to alleviate the feeling. They need to take a nap to feel like themselves again. Now I just know to give it every 6 hours and then as soon as they wake up on sea days. I believe they discontinued children Bonine. They do make kids Dramamine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Where are people getting children’s Bonine? My search is only turning up the 25mg tablets

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t believe they make it anymore. The only ones I see are for kids 12 and up/adults. Older posts indicate they stopped making the children’s and it is not listed on Bonine’s website.

Sent from my iPad using Forums