Matanuska Glacier - guide or DIY?

kscaf1

We are down to finalizing and booking our last few adventures for this July and I am struggling with a guide or not. I know there are a few companies and I am leaning towards MICA but have not ruled the others out. I have read rave reviews of guided treks and I have read reviews that felt limited with a guide or just felt they could do the smae (safely) without. I am leaning towards the guide but wanted a few more opinions. We will have visited Knik Glacier and Byron Glacier before we get to Matanuska and we do want to walk on a glacier. We are considering bringing inexpensive crampons if we do it on our own. Time is also a factor. We will be driving to Denali that day and a 2 hour DIY would get us on the road earlier than a 4 hour tour. We have nothing planned for that evening so the later start should not impact the scenic drive and stopping where we want. Opinions from either side are greatly appreciated!

I have been on the Matanuska Glacier several times. I have never attempted (and never will) to walk very far without a guide. If you haven't been on a glacier before and want to do more than walk 50 feet or so, I suggest you get a guide. It's easy when you're with a guide (in any endeavor) to think that it's something easy and you don't need a more experienced person to show you techniques, routes, etc. But then when you try it alone, you discover that there are all kinds of things that you didn't notice when someone more experienced was in charge.

Have you ice trekked before? If not, then you are underestimating what is involved, it isn't just a matter of strapping on crampons if you don't know what you are doing. 2 hours is definitely not enough time invested here. You barely will get on the ice. Is that all you are looking for??? There is no comparison with your other tours, unless you are trekking?

I have gone with both MICA and NOVA, both excellent long term vendors.

You need to determine what YOU want?? If just a few steps and the claim you are walking on ice, then skip a guide. But, if you haven't done this prior and want to get out on the ice and some trekking- invest the time and money and get a guided trekk (I actually do, private at times).

Thank you for your replies. I think I just needed a bit of encouragement to go back to our original plan. We are definitley looking forward to the trek and want to make the most of our eperience. I will book it with a guide!

Watch some youtube videos about other people's trips to get an idea of what it is like.

Whatever guide you go with make sure they understand what you want in a trip. It can go from nice little walk on the ice with crampons and poles to roped up ice climbing and everything in between. Our last one we had an ex army guide who was very good about telling us where and where not to step and made sure each of us got to see what she was showing us and guiding us across the jumps. sightcrr

My son and I trekked with Mica Guides 5 years ago and it was awesome. I would not attempt to do it on my own even after having done it once. Our guide was very informative telling us where to step (and where not to) as well as pointing out crevasses and other things that could be dangerous for those not familiar with ice trekking. He also pointed out where we could fill our water bottles with ice cold glacier water. OMG that was good! Stayed icy cold for a couple hours!

Dress in layers because as you trek, you'll want to start pealing off clothes. Have fun and make sure to take a camera because the sights are just gorgeous.