Access to Fort MacArthur from San Pedro Doubletree Hilton

cmdchiefthom

I'm wondering if there is any access to Fort MacArthur from near the Doubletree. I want to do some shopping at the Air Force Shopette before boarding a Cruise Ship, but it seems like the only entrances are on Pacific Ave, and the base is not accessible from the East side by the Via Cabrillo Marina. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thom.....first of all, thanks for your service. Looks like you've spent a few days protecting our flag! I'm an Army vet in a family filled with Air Force vets, so I get outvoted every time! In fact, my son in law is still active reserves - E-6 crew chief on a C131 out of Reno, NV

It's been a few years since I was there, but I believe the Pacific Ave entrance is the only entrance still open. They really limit the traffic into and out of what's left of Ft Mac. I always try and stop by there when I'm in the area as I was stationed there in the early 70's when it closed.

In fact, we leave out of San Pedro next month and I was going to take a drive by. I see you're not leaving until next Nov, so I'll get back to you with an answer when we get back.....unless of course someone else gets you an answer before hand.

Edited by Beave8920

Thom.....first of all, thanks for your service. Looks like you've spent a few days protecting our flag! I'm an Army vet in a family filled with Air Force vets, so I get outvoted every time! In fact, my son in law is still active reserves - E-6 crew chief on a C131 out of Reno, NV

It's been a few years since I was there, but I believe the Pacific Ave entrance is the only entrance still open. They really limit the traffic into and out of what's left of Ft Mac. I always try and stop by there when I'm in the area as I was stationed there in the early 70's when it closed.

In fact, we leave out of San Pedro next month and I was going to take a drive by. I see you're not leaving until next Nov, so I'll get back to you with an answer when we get back.....unless of course someone else gets you an answer before hand.

Thanks for your service as well. I loved most every moment of my 26 years active, and then I followed up with 19 years teaching AFJROTC in an inner city school in South Bend, Indiana. 45 Years in uniform and now I'm completely retired.

Anyway, I want to grab some cokes and bottled water to take aboard the Star Princess, and I figure the Shopette is fairly close to the Doubletree. Maybe I'll see if the Hotel shuttle will run me by there.

You have a great cruise!

Thanks for your service as well. I loved most every moment of my 26 years active, and then I followed up with 19 years teaching AFJROTC in an inner city school in South Bend, Indiana. 45 Years in uniform and now I'm completely retired.

Anyway, I want to grab some cokes and bottled water to take aboard the Star Princess, and I figure the Shopette is fairly close to the Doubletree. Maybe I'll see if the Hotel shuttle will run me by there.

You have a great cruise!

Thanks ....will do!

I'll shoot ya a response when we get back. In fact, I'm not even sure there is still an active PX on the grounds. Seems like the last time I was there everything was closed down. They even had civilian police guarding the gates.......but I'll let ya know.

Ft MacArthur is a really cool place to look around and as an old salt, you would really enjoy it.....military the old style if you know what I mean......old WWII style stuff! When I was stationed there, they were getting ready to close it down and it was mostly officer quarters, but in it's day it was the west coast artillary defense location. Lots of bunkers surrounding the entire facility hidden in the hills. You might recognize the HHQ area because they've used the location for many movies.

Hey just a thought on the water.....for $6.90 you can buy a 12 pack from Princess and they will deliver to your cabin. Saves carrying water and soda on board.

On a side note....there should be several places to shop on Harbor Bl. on the way from the Doubletree to the ship. I'm sure the shuttle or cab driver would know a place for a quick stop.

Edited by Beave8920

Beave8920

I did some checking online and there is an AAFES "express facility" on base. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but that's what LAS says. No big deal, one way or another. Let me know what you find during your visit.

Beave8920

I did some checking online and there is an AAFES "express facility" on base. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but that's what LAS says. No big deal, one way or another. Let me know what you find during your visit.

Thom...will do. We sail March 31st and will be back April 7th. I'll try and get back to ya soon thereafter.

Dave

• 1 month later...
Thom...will do. We sail March 31st and will be back April 7th. I'll try and get back to ya soon thereafter.

Dave

Thom......as promised, got some info for you on Ft. Mac.

There is no access from the back side - only the main gate off Pacific Ave. The civilian Police Officer who man'ed the gate would not allow me entry as this is now a secure site. He said if I had a current military or dependant ID I would be allowed entry, but other than that I would be denied. Since I knew you were retired, I inquired about retired personnel, and he told me unless you had official business, you would be denied entry. I further inquired about a commissary or shopping facility and he stated there was none. Since I'm a retired California Police Officer, I even tried that angle but to no avail!

Since I had a few hours to kill, I noted that there was a Fort MacArthur museum on the upper property (about a mile away) in an old bunker site....but when I arrived it was closed! So other than a drive around the property, I really got to see nothing.....so just reminisced about days passed and headed back to the ship.

We did have a great cruise and hoping you do as well!

On a side note, there are several markets in the area, so you should be able to obtain your beverages/snacks without a problem.

Dave