Juneau Dog sledding on glacier vs glacier walk

khkc

We will be in Juneau end of August, 2018, Arrive at 8:00 AM leave at 6:00PM. Want to do a helicopter ride to glacier. I know dog sledding is higher (weather consideration).

1. Which would be better (interesting) and best chance of not getting canceled? Walk on glacier tour or dogsledding? Both sound good.

2. Which do any of you like best?

3. Would also like time to go to Mendenhall visitor center and walk to Nugget Falls. Is this possible?

We will be in Haines before this and thought about renting car and driving the highway.

We’ve done both and they are both incredibly experiences. I wouldn’t say one is better than the other. Even though you are on the glacier with dog sledding, you are in a snow covered area, so you generally do not see the crevices and blue ice. It was thrilling riding on the sleds. Many people come back again, so pick one and do the other the next time. You’ll probably be in port long enough to also go to Mendenhall.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No way to predict any cancellations. Many times, if the dog camps are not accessible AND conditions allow you may be offered a regular glacier landing. Otherwise, ALL flights will be canceled.

With Haines, Have with you Murray's Guide at the least, so you know what you are passing.

I have done winter dog sledding a few times out of Fairbanks, so, taking a "ride" doesn't offer much for me, since I went to dog sledding "school". :) You will see consistent rave reviews.

As mentioned, there is a significant difference with seeing ice. My preferences are now, the longest double landings/pilot's choice since the scenic views are my priority.

Most dog sledding is usually cancelled by the end of August. I wouldn't count on that happening. When you call the company ask about how the conditions have been the past few years and they will let you know on what date they stopped being able to dog sled on the glaciers.