O Life Drink package - good value or not

firstforty2012

Shopperfiend,how does one get $1400 SBC? :eek:

She was basing it on a 28 day cruise :)

Sorry, I got this figure by going to the O webpage for the cruise that OP indicated they were on and seeing what the OLife options were for it. Perhaps the options are different for different markets and the amount for the SBC option is actually different for OP.

My wife & I have sailed Silversea, Crystal, Regent, Paul Gauguin and Windstar. We are considering our first Oceania cruise this summer on the Regatta. Can some of you kind people answer these questions...

1. If we are in a Concierge Verandah and purchase the Prestige Select bev package, what are our in room options for champagne/sparkling wine? Is there any in the room fridge included, do we order glasses from room service, or do we just have to bring glasses from a bar? We love sitting on our verandah sipping something sparkling.

2. How is gym onboard? I can't find any good pics?

3. How are the night bands/singing duos? Is there somewhere to listen to live music that is "open air" (ie: maybe not outside directly, but big open doors type of setting, like Compass Rose on Wind Surf).

4. How late does the breakfast room service menu go to. We rarely make the restaurant for breakfast because we sleep late, then go to the gym every morning.

Thanks so much for the help.

Sorry, I got this figure by going to the O webpage for the cruise that OP indicated they were on and seeing what the OLife options were for it. Perhaps the options are different for different markets and the amount for the SBC option is actually different for OP.

Oh yeh.I looked it up and we here in England have the same.Just never seen so much before.We are newbies to Oceania,so we don’t have any extra benefits.Hoping to continue with them.

For us, who like to drink wines with our meals the beverage option of the O Life was good. We would have problems spending the OBC on the shops since the offers were very limited and we refuse to use Spa services who are that expensive.

In general we have found the wines acceptable. Some were quite nice actually like the Noble Merlot.

Ivi

We were on the 18 day cruise from Lima to Papeete on Marina in January. There were 8 sea days. We used the O-Life benefit for the $40 pp per day beverage package that offered us wine and champagne during lunch and dinner. Once on board, we upgraded to the premium package for $20 pp more per day where we could get wine, champagne and most beverages whenever the bars are open. With a glass of champagne costing almost $20 with service, the upgrade was worthwhile for us. Even with the two for one specials during happy hours, the cost of drinks ended up being $12 for a manhattan. It all depends how much you want to drink on your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, I haven’t posted on CC in a long time; we’re also on the Athens to Miami cruise (would love an upgrade offer on our eighth Oceania cruise before we make the final payment next month, but no such luck so far, although Oceania keeps offering 4-category booking upgrades on the Rome to Miami segment for some reason and correspondence from our TA and us falls on deaf ears - I guess that’s fodder for another thread sometime). We have $1800 in shipboard credits but may have to pull the trigger on a drinks package because we also both want internet for the cruise. We’re not big spa fans, but maybe it’s time for some spa time. After 22 days in 2016, even the best wine on the premium package was not very good, but with the premium at least you can toss in mixed drinks whenever the bars are open. With those sea days looming at the end of the cruise that might be a good option. Hope to see you onboard!

Perhaps the takeaway here is that the Beverage Packages aren't being marketed towards the wine connoisseur. This makes sense as Oceania would not want to compete with bottle sales from their own cellars.

Also, there is a largish segment who don't care what they drink as long as it is poured into Reidel and burns going down.

Those people need options too!

It is a good value if you have 4 glasses of anything for the $60 The 40 is worthless. it will not cover drinks at dinner on ly wine and beer . Ordering a mixed drink in the dining rooms is an adventure in frustration...takes a long time. $10 a drink?? in your dreams figure 13 to 22 Wine 10 to 20 a glass. all with tip. 2 glasses of wine and 2 mix drinks will run you over $60 a day in most cases

What Un drinkable wine...really?

Never found one and have enjoyed $3500 a bottle Pomerols to Franzia ( Lodi red) and enjoyed both, I lived in the wine country for almost 30 years have friends and relatives who own wineries, Know the connoisseur/ and their cousin the wine snob It was always fun to pour a cheap red into a empty grand cru bottle and listen to the raves....and then the condemnation of the same wine in a cheap bottle. Interesting!

If someone will have a horrible cruise because a special wine is not served then there is a problem and it ain't the wine

• 4 weeks later...
Agree and Woodbridge is also on our Don't Drink list; that by the glass list is worse than Celebrity's which we had trouble with. I know wine by the glass is usually very ordinary but one would hope with the package being promoted as a perk to book that the choices would at least be middle of the road. No packages for us. I also wish they would remove the weasel words about only 3 bottles to carryon - just annoying. OK, I will put my Happy Face back on now :).

When we were on Allure in January they were serving Twisted Tree in the Diamond Lounge. Didn’t see any Le Terre any where. Glad to see it disappear!! Was so surprised to see it on the O wine list. We are considering our first O cruise and that really surprised me for a so called premium line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

La Terre under Red Wines is the most disgusting wine I've ever had. Royal Caribbean serves this as their house wine in their loyalty lounges. I cannot even drink it, it is so gross. And if its true, the better wines aren't available, this is going to be one miserable meal after another for my 24 day trip.

You poor thing, I am trying to fight back tears for you as I write this.... I will pray for you

Hello - new here. Bumping this because I am also interested in the Champagnes/methode champenoise (not prosecco and the like). Any comments? Thanks. Thinking of taking our first O cruise. Is this something better brought onboard? I would hate to pay 60 per day and have to carry on my own bubbly.

Hello - new here. Bumping this because I am also interested in the Champagnes/methode champenoise (not prosecco and the like). Any comments? Thanks. Thinking of taking our first O cruise. Is this something better brought onboard? I would hate to pay 60 per day and have to carry on my own bubbly.

I believe there is only 1 Champagne (by the glass) in the drink package

Montadon Brut

menu

i-2hW7ZmG-L.jpg

CIMG0031

If you are in a Concierge cabin or above we had Jacquart Brut in the cabin

They do have other brands for sale by the bottle or you can always bring on your favourite brand

Edited by LHT28

I wonder what your thoughts are on this?

We are on a 17 day cruise in Summer. Won't drink alcohol at lunch but would have a bottle of wine at dinner. May even have a drink after.

I have the olife choices. Don't want the excursions so its either drinks, lunch and dinner or £1000 on board spend.

Could do the drinks package and then buy extra drinks as and when or could take the 1k and buy my own wine on shore and pay the corkage. We are lucky that a bottle of Pinot £10 is fine. Adding 25 to that makes it a 35 bottle of wine per night.

I don't want to look like a miser, taking a bottle of wine to the restaurants.

Am I right in thinking that paying for a 35 bottle of wine per night is better value than the olife package? and then taking the OBC?

And, is it quite normal to take your own bottle to the restaurants or would I look fooolish?

I wonder what your thoughts are on this?

We are on a 17 day cruise in Summer. Won't drink alcohol at lunch but would have a bottle of wine at dinner. May even have a drink after.

I have the olife choices. Don't want the excursions so its either drinks, lunch and dinner or £1000 on board spend.

Could do the drinks package and then buy extra drinks as and when or could take the 1k and buy my own wine on shore and pay the corkage. We are lucky that a bottle of Pinot £10 is fine. Adding 25 to that makes it a 35 bottle of wine per night.

I don't want to look like a miser, taking a bottle of wine to the restaurants.

Am I right in thinking that paying for a 35 bottle of wine per night is better value than the olife package? and then taking the OBC?

And, is it quite normal to take your own bottle to the restaurants or would I look fooolish?

If you want a bottle of wine the package does not cover that it is wine by the glass

You can take the wine to the dining room no one will think it is foolish

if you do not finish the bottle that night they will store it for you for another time ..not to worry

They do offer a wine package you get 7 bottles for about $300 the list of what is on offer on your sailing is usually in the cabin on day 1 so you always check that out & see if there is any wines you would enjoy

Have a good cruise

You didn’t say whether or not you are in an O ship where you might go to La Reserve for 1-3 nights. Wine is included with those meals. Red Ginger cuisine is more a beer thing than wine.

Each to their own, but the Specialties are like higher end restaurants. Taking a 10 pound wine in is a bit sketchy, IMO. The GDR and Terrace would be OK. Take the OBC, and order of the menu in the Specialties, and bring your wine in , and pay corkage, in the others. Be flexible, if you bring in that Bdx and then decide you want the sole, you’ll be ordering if the list anyway, at least hopefully!

Thanks for the quick comments. I just found a sample list for the 47.50 wines by the packages. I googled 5 of them and the most expensive one was £12 anyway so me buying a pinot for £10 is actually the same.

Wine list

I don't think we would eat at Reserve, not really our cup of tea and we don't like beer either so it would be wine the majority of nights.

My bigger concern is walking around and going to the specialities with a bottle under my arm.

You can take your wine to them to store ahead of time so that you do not have to carry it around with you each evening. When you arrive at whatever restaurant you go to, you can ask them to retrieve your bottle which should be at the correct temperature. (Hopefully)

We just came back from our trip on the smaller ships. It certainly was not unusual to see someone bring their own wine to the grand dining room or the speciality restaurants. Hope this helps. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, take your wine to any of the dining rooms. Most of your fellow pax will not notice you brought your own (and you can take it early so it is ready for you.) And no one, well apparently one person, will check your bottle and pass judgment on your choice. Relax, enjoy your wine, enjoy your cruise, enjoy your planning.

Agree with Lyn. As someone who often brings my own bottle of wine to the restaurant and pays the corkage fee, no one will think you are a piker. They might even thing you have superior wine knowledge and taste!!

Mura

Thanks for your replies to my queries everyone. Feel better.

As I was researching this, I did come across something about a wine sale onboard to add bottles to the package of 7. It was dated a while back, does this happen still? Will be on a Med cruise in August for 17 days total

Mark

Thanks for your replies to my queries everyone. Feel better.

As I was researching this, I did come across something about a wine sale onboard to add bottles to the package of 7. It was dated a while back, does this happen still? Will be on a Med cruise in August for 17 days total

Mark

I have not noticed the wine sale for a couple of years now

I checked with oceania about drink packages and found that I can get the elite package and my partner who drinks a lot less can just pay drink by drink.

Correct

it is call the Prestige Package on Oceania