First time cruising with service dog

Cruisefanatic71

My family and I will be cruising for the first time this November on Carnival with my daughter's service dog. We have all of the proper paperwork shoeing that the dog is a service dog and not a therapy or companion dog. We understand that in order for the dog to go onto land at port we have to be cleared through that country. What we don't know is at what time do we notify the cruise line about the dog and what is necessary to be provided for the cruise line. When I go onto their website it doesn't give that much information. We love to cruise but now that we ha e our daughter's service dog with us it changes how we cruise a little. This first cruise is onlky a three day cruise(a test cruise) to figure out all of the in's and out's of cruising with a service dog. Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My family and I will be cruising for the first time this November on Carnival with my daughter's service dog. We have all of the proper paperwork shoeing that the dog is a service dog and not a therapy or companion dog. We understand that in order for the dog to go onto land at port we have to be cleared through that country. What we don't know is at what time do we notify the cruise line about the dog and what is necessary to be provided for the cruise line. When I go onto their website it doesn't give that much information. We love to cruise but now that we ha e our daughter's service dog with us it changes how we cruise a little. This first cruise is onlky a three day cruise(a test cruise) to figure out all of the in's and out's of cruising with a service dog. Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Suggest you also post your questions and concerns on this link https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585728 as these CC members are well versed on the ins & outs of traveling with a service dog.

The time to notify Carnival of the service dog or any cruise line for that matter is at the time of booking. So if you haven't done so than I suggest you do so now.

Carnival's website actually is informative as to the procedures and policies regarding bringing on board a service dog. Marking certain you have all the proper documentation , shots, etc for each specific port of call is your responsiblity and Carnival's website gives you a link for that purpose . Here's the link https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel

Carnival's website also tells you to contact its Department at access@carnival.com, or 1.800.438.6744 ext. 70025.

Perhaps you were not able to locate the proper page on Carnival's website . Here's the link Carnival's website also Refer to the Perhaps you to locate the correct page. Here's the link https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx

If you need to notify Carnival of any other special needs here's the link to its Special Requirements Form https://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/pdf/SRIFRM_012809.pdf

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 3 weeks later...

What do I know about service dogs, zero. However I do know it's up to YOU to determine if you can even enter a different country's WATERS with that animal. Cruise line will only address the animal getting on the ship with you. Current thread is about denial to let animal board because pax did not get proper clearance.

We understand that in order for the dog to go onto land at port we have to be cleared through that country.

I too thought this to be true and it’s not!

“Import” dog and “entry” to that country means if you are on the ship docked in their port. It doesn’t matter if you step foot in their country or not.

Contact the special needs department now! Some permits can take months to obtain.

Even if the cruise line or country tells you that you don’t need a permit if you remain onboard, please, get one regardless!!! Accidents happen, don’t take the chance of someone needing hospitalization and not having the permit to enter that island. Would you feel comfortable if your wife and daughter needed to leave the ship in a foreign country and you had to remain onboard with the dog because the dog has no permit to enter that island? Please, don’t take that chance!

In Feb 2018, I was denied boarding because I didn’t have the permits, thankfully this was told to me prior to sail date, so get the permits for each and every port of call on your itinerary, policy can change without notice and you wouldn’t want to be denied to board on the first day of your cruise!

I would love to hear how your cruise in November goes, hope you have an amazing time!