WiFi Calling On Oceania?

dunbobbr

You give no details as where you plan on doing this internet calling from! There is no pat answer to your non definitive question. Just got off the Nautica, HongKong- Bangkok, and we went two full days with zero internet service over the entire ship, crew and passengers. Remainder of the time it was spotty at best. I’d say the chances of maintaining a good connection long enough for a phone call < 10%. Exception might have been while in Singapore. I heard from some of those whose cruising hobbies don’t (or rarely) include sightseeing, that service there was very good while the rest of we sightseeing hobbyist where ashore.

I gave you details on specific cruises in specific parts of the world. From experience, that anecdotal information varies dramatically depending upon where the ship is. I can likewise tell you that internet service aboard ship was dramatically different last summer, as we passed Nordcapp approaching Russia into the Barents Seas, than in the fall in the Med from Athens to Rome. I would say that one’s chances of maintaining any internet phone connection on the former cruise approached zero, while on the latter a certain maybe.

To many facts for you?

In reply to the responses above:

Most modern cell phones have WiFi calling as an integral part of the cell phone. It isn't an App like Skype which one can add to your phone. A number of cruise lines, and countries for that matter, block WiFi calling since it gives you access to free calls and eats into their profit margins and removes the need for the cell companies paid cruise cell phone packages. Several cruise lines block App's such as Skype because of the band width. other cruise companies have adjusted their WiFi bandwidth to allow such VOIP uses.

My question was does anyone know if Oceania blocks WiFi calling as they do with Skype and other VOIP type Apps.

We will be on the Regatta from Bali on 1 March arriving in Honolulu 29 days later via Australia, New Caledonia, Samoa, Fiji, etc. We aren't tied to our cell phones but like to have the option to use free WiFi calling if we want to. I refuse to pay the high rates changed by the cell companies for their cell packages.

Enjoy your cruises folks.

Thx Paulchili. Good to know.

We were on a Viking Ocean cruise over Christmas and tried calling to wish everyone a Happy Christmas -- Skype worked but WiFi calling didn't for some reason. Every cruise line seems to have their own quirks when it comes to what is allowed and what isn't.

I’ve had no trouble making an occasional call using my Xfinity app from Comcast via WIFI

Granted, my experience is very limited as I don’t need to make calls often.

Plus 1. We use the Comcast app to make calls on board all the time. Occasionally there isn’t enough signal strength but it works fine. T mobile works as well

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The issue is the same as I implied. In some locals, you’ll get strong connectivity and maybe able to make calls. Floating around in the middle of the S. Pacific, it’s highly doubtful. Maintaining a strong enough connection, so to make a call, is a hit and miss affair at best.

Plus 1. We use the Comcast app to make calls on board all the time. Occasionally there isn’t enough signal strength but it works fine. T mobile works as well

bitob, were you at sea when using your comcast xfinity app? we are going on the Riviera on a Transatlantic on March 27 and i need to make a phone call on April 2nd while we are crossing the Atlantic. What do you think are the chances of making the connection using my comcast xfinity app?

FaceTime works, but would drop during peak usage times. Internet speed in general should improve greatly when the new WaveNet internet services goes live. Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about the rollout schedule fro WaveNet?

I was very surprised when I received a FaceTime call from our grand daughter when we were on the Riviera on a Med cruise. Didn’t realize that it would work, but I was logged into the ship WiFi then.

FaceTime works, but would drop during peak usage times. Internet speed in general should improve greatly when the new WaveNet internet services goes live. Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about the rollout schedule fro WaveNet?

Do you not mean Speednet?? That was supposed to be 2017.

No, see Bronze benefits in the attachment. Also notice the reductions in OBC for all levels coming in November 2019.

This is interesting Bob, this is the first I've heard of it. This should have it's own thread. It also appears the Spa credit is going away.

I'm curious if that is going to apply to people already at those levels or if they're going to grandfather people in if they're already receiving them.

No, see Bronze benefits in the attachment. Also notice the reductions in OBC for all levels coming in November 2019.

Yikes -- downgrading benefits more important than wifi.

Just one comment again on speed. Oceania and most cruise lines use EMC (formerly MTN) as a service provided. It is a mixed network of Satellite and shore based terrestrial wi-fi. It really depends where you are. If Satellite -- you will get poor service. If at or near a port that has Terrestrial Wi-FI then the speed is good. Where you will find better Wifi -- in the Med and Caribbean. My guess WaveNET will have more shore ports. Satellite has it limits -- jitter, fixed/narrow bandwidth and delay.

Oceania is releasing its 2020 voyages mid next month. Only a very few if any November or December 2019 cruises are released. I’m guessing this change will affect all cruises sailing after 11/11/2019, period.

First price hike; make more PH2 cabins PH1 cabins, PH3 into PH2s etc, throughout the different categories. Now reduced O Club benefits. Revenue generators without raising fares.

Yikes -- downgrading benefits more important than wifi.

Let’s wait and see the details.

If they “grandfather” people into their current status (as of Nov ‘19) then it is not “unfair”. It is just a sign of growing numbers of O cruisers and O trying to contain costs. If you tell people that haven’t achieved a certain level what the benefits will be in the future, they have a choice to pursue the next level or not.

OTOH, if you reduce the benefits of those that have already spent the money to achieve a certain level (and thus demonstrated loyalty), that’s a different matter.

A similar concept has previously happened with the value of additional PPG - those reaching Silver or above before a certain time are receiving full value of second PPGs.