Is Glacier Bay a must see?

Joal

This will be our first trip to Alaska. Not sure if we will be back there. We have two options with two different cruise lines. One includes Glacier Bay, and the other does not. The one that does not include Glacier Bay is more convenient to us in terms of departure port, added perks, and points towards future cruises. We are wondering whether Glacier Bay is a most see? Should it be a major determinant in choosing one or the other cruise line? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

If you read around the board, you will see dozens of threads on the topic. "Must see" is strictly a personal opinion, and the world will not end if you don't see Glacier Bay. As relatively few ships actually go there- none from several major cruise lines, many people cruise Alaska without seeing Glacier Bay.

That being said, it is a very highly rated place.

Glacier Bay is definitely the top choice out of the 3 main glacier viewings.

Yes, it's typically more difficult before/after cruise as they tend to be one-way sailings.

That said, if you don't plan on being back, then yeah, I'd say it's a must see.

Alaska is very different from other cruise destinations. It's very much about the ports (with Glacier Bay being the #1 port to be aware of) nad how much time you get in ports to do the cool/unique stuff there. The ship, in a way, is just there for transportation, sleeping, and eating. The usual cruising amenities are not quite as important because the biggest entertainment will be Alaska (and Canada).

I had no idea what Alaska was like when I went the first time. I was thinking it would be like any other tropical cruise. COMPLETELY different and now my favorite cruise destination. I don't even bother getting off the ship at some tropical ports, but I look forward to all the Alaskan ports (even the ones that aren't my favorite).

I'd say the trouble of flying out of 2 different airports is worth it if it doesn't, like, double the cost of round trip airfare or something. There are a few round trip cruises that get to Glacier Bay, but you'll have to dig a little more to find them.

Glacier Bay is more popular and thus, the ships fill up fast. Cruise lines often put their newest ships on the weakest itineraries as for some, they go off of the ship.

Yes - Glacier Bay is a priority, especially if you don't expect to return to Alaska. Hubbard glacier and Tracy Arm can be missed frequently. Sometimes for most of the season on the large ships. My first cruise to Alaska, Hubbard was missed all season. No ships got in that year.

I often book a cruise with 2 glacier days as Glacier Bay is pretty much a guarantee and to get a 2nd day is like birthday cake. Many cruise lines just do another sea day instead of a 2nd glacier.

So there is a reason why you are seeing discounts/benefits on non-Glacier Bay cruises. They are in less demand.

For me, Alaska is all about seeing glaciers. I would want Hubbard or Glacier Bay on my itinerary. Going mid August so we can see Sawyer too with a side excursion. Knowing that Glacier Bay is also a National Park and is limited put it on my list.

For "up close and personal" with a glacier, the choice is Hubbard. Do it on a smaller ship like Oceania Regatta.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I say, look at the entire itinerary. I personally don't find Glacier Bay a "must do". I have been to all the glacier areas, and find each has it beauty. Glaciers can also be added with tours. Many many factors go into a cruise selection for Alaska, in my opinion, not just Glacier Bay.

• Like 1

Our large group of friends and family chose a one-way Royal Caribbean cruise for various factors outside my control, so we didn't see Glacier Bay. I was mainly along for outdoor adventures in port - including trekking on Mendenhall Glacier - and happy enough with the ship's view of Hubbard Glacier, which I saw as a bonus. I accomplished everything I wanted to and had a more than satisfying trip.

Thank you all for your replies. Your opinions and advice are much appreciated. After further discussion with my wife, we came to two conclusions. First, as it is true with most places in the world, one single trip is never enough to see all the places of interest. Second, that nothing prevents us from going back to Alaska, next year or the following one. This time, it is really to our advantage for several reasons to go with Celebrity. Unfortunately, this particular cruise does not include Glacier Bay. However, I am sure that we will still have a great trip, and we will see beautiful scenery and wild life. Again, many thanks to all and happy travelings!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. This time, it is really to our advantage for several reasons to go with Celebrity. Unfortunately, this particular cruise does not include Glacier Bay. However, I am sure that we will still have a great trip, and we will see beautiful scenery and wild life. Again, many thanks to all and happy travelings!

Hi there! We had the same decision to make last year and chose Celebrity as well. The dates, timing, pricing, added value of “perks”, etc, made it the right choice for us. We had a fabulous trip, with many glacier experiences and, while I don’t know what we missed at Glacier Bay, I wouldn’t have changed a thing about our adventure. Have fun!!

• Like 1

Hi there! We had the same decision to make last year and chose Celebrity as well. The dates, timing, pricing, added value of “perks”, etc, made it the right choice for us. We had a fabulous trip, with many glacier experiences and, while I don’t know what we missed at Glacier Bay, I wouldn’t have changed a thing about our adventure. Have fun!!

Thank you very much for your comments. Yes, it was not an easy decision to make. I am glad you enjoyed your trip so much. We use Celebrity a lot, and never had a bad experience. For this trip, we got a really good deal, with a great cabin located very close to the aft elevators (which we love). The pricing was right, and we got three perks. Moreover, with this trip we will have enough points to become Elite. This will be great, since we will be going with Celebrity again to South America on January 2019.

As long as you go back, it's not a big deal at all. With all the wonderful places in this world, I understand when people only intend on hitting a place once. If that's the case, that's when I recommend putting extra effort into seeing Glacier Bay. But yeah, Alaska is beautiful regardless. Even if you don't see it, you're still gonna be wowed by the majesty of Alaska.

Hubbard hasn't been active the past few times I have been there. Every day can be different. Next day can be very active. I disagree a lot with the descriptions in the link above. I have had more luck with Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm.

As the Grand Pacific Glacier retreated it left a huge valley and cliff in front of Margerie Glacier. As Margerie advances it calves as it extends over the cliff. Although we’ve been there when there has been little calving, we’ve seen more at Margerie glacier than any other based on the size.