Cold

brian_uk

Well, not every woman! I always wondered why women complained about cold temps in the restaurants since it was fine for me.

But it doesn't hurt to be prepared!

We will be on Riviera in May (2018) but have been on Marina a number of times since Oct '11. The A/C has never bothered me!

Mura

Any ideas how cold they keep the a/c in the various dining areas on Riviera. Not for me but her indoors gets chilly.

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Brian,

there is a medical/health reason. The same reason Hospitals do the same, The cooler temps act to inhibit bacteria and other infectious stuff I was told by my doc... ( Just spent 5 months in a Hospital and it was friggen cold too) Being from UK you should be used to the COLD !!!!

My DW would open the veranda door in the Arctic or Antarctic. Nothing is too cold.

You bring up a interesting point opening veranda doors and leaving them open. The HEVAC systems on ship are set up like high rises, positive pressure and in zones rather the whole building or ship. Open a window or door and all the other cabins or offices, will be severely deprived of Heat or cooling. Picture a bucket with a hole in it.. ALL the HEVAC air pressure will be reduced to near zero. All the pressure will be rushing out your door or window ( this is why highrise bldg you can not open windows) If you suddenly find you cabin air or heat or air suddenly diminished you need to find the guy and stop him....by any means....

Any ideas how cold they keep the a/c in the various dining areas on Riviera. Not for me but her indoors gets chilly.

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just off Riviera earlier this month and I always need a pashmina or sweater because different areas of the same dining venue vary in temperature, particularly the very large Main Dining Room. Also it would be warmer when we ate there while still docked rather than at sea.

Cold or hot is so subjective. People in parts of the world that do not have air conditioning every place that they go (stores, their homes, restaurants, etc.) do finedit cold on the ship because they have air conditioning. However, those of us that are used to air conditioning find it moderate to a bit warm (I have taken a small digital thermometer with me and find that temperatures average around 72 degrees which to me is warm since we keep our home at 67 degrees.)

Also important to note is that dining venues are kept at a cooler temperature when they open and warm up as people arrive. We find Red Ginger on the Riviera to be a hot box -- so much so that we will only dine there early -- before it becomes unbearable.

Please keep in mind that if you are cold, you can put on enough clothing or a pashmina, etc. to warm you. However, if you find the ship too warm, you cannot take off all of your clothes - and, even if you could, it would still be too hot.:halo:

I agree totally. This is very subjective. Cold means nothing. Does anyone actually know what the temperatures are set at?

Cold or hot is so subjective. People in parts of the world that do not have air conditioning every place that they go (stores, their homes, restaurants, etc.) do finedit cold on the ship because they have air conditioning. However, those of us that are used to air conditioning find it moderate to a bit warm (I have taken a small digital thermometer with me and find that temperatures average around 72 degrees which to me is warm since we keep our home at 67 degrees.)

Also important to note is that dining venues are kept at a cooler temperature when they open and warm up as people arrive. We find Red Ginger on the Riviera to be a hot box -- so much so that we will only dine there early -- before it becomes unbearable.

Please keep in mind that if you are cold, you can put on enough clothing or a pashmina, etc. to warm you. However, if you find the ship too warm, you cannot take off all of your clothes - and, even if you could, it would still be too hot.:halo:

Brian,

there is a medical/health reason. The same reason Hospitals do the same, The cooler temps act to inhibit bacteria and other infectious stuff I was told by my doc... ( Just spent 5 months in a Hospital and it was friggen cold too) Being from UK you should be used to the COLD !!!!

Ditto the hospital remark. I don't know if the hospital achieves its goal of inhibiting bacteria, but it sure has the cold part down pat. In Sarasota Memorial hospital, the main surgery waiting room has a blanket warmer -- exactly the same type as the one used in the pre-surgery area and in the recovery room area -- to offer people waiting for friends and loved ones undergoing surgery.

Ditto the hospital remark. I don't know if the hospital achieves its goal of inhibiting bacteria, but it sure has the cold part down pat. In Sarasota Memorial hospital, the main surgery waiting room has a blanket warmer -- exactly the same type as the one used in the pre-surgery area and in the recovery room area -- to offer people waiting for friends and loved ones undergoing surgery.

Have used it on several occasions when DH was there!

I found common areas to be quite cold for our lifestyle on O ships. Again, coming from Southwest Arizona, to Florida, we keep our house temperature much higher than most do. And yes, these types of conversation are subjective, as you see in previous posts. Coming from the Northeast or Northwest or in Colder climates, folks may find the common areas to be warm, coming from the southern states, or warmer climates, may find the temp too cold. Or, even health wise, folks find temps cold or warm. Too many variables, Bring a jacket, shawl, pashmina or whatever to wrap if needed.