Maui--Old Lahaina Luau

cruisersmom

Looking for suggestions for shuttles/taxis from pier to OLL. Many of the threads concerning this are outdated; wanted to know if anyone had chosen this luau recently (2015-2016). We will be cruising on the POA in August 2016 and would like to attend this luau.

Edited by cruisersmom

The facts that aren't outdated is that it is at least 45 minutes each way from the ship, so a taxi will be expensive. Public transit is poor. Renting a car is the common alternative.

I agree...there are no changes except for maybe some price increases.

We did this Luau from the POA in Feb 2016. We rented a car. The next morning (really later that night. :rolleyes:) we used the car to drive to the top of Haleakala for sunrise above the clouds.

We purchased our OLL tickets a few months in advance. I did not see any discounts anywhere for that show. Appears that they sell out every night. They are willing refund your tickets a day or two before the date.

POA pushes folks to take their Luau in Kauai. Many, many buses leave the ship for that Luau.

We did this Luau from the POA in Feb 2016. We rented a car.

We purchased our OLL tickets a few months in advance.

We have also purchased the tickets a long time ago. We have a car, but we'd prefer to find others for the same evening (Sunday 3rd April), and "pool our forces" together instead of driving there & back. So far, no luck in our roll call.

Just curious, "JustThinking" -- did u enjoy the OLL? How was the driving there and back? We plan to drive from port at around 4PM.

:)

Yes, my family of 5 enjoyed it very much. The beach location was beautiful.

This was our first visit to the state, and our first Luau, so we can't do a comparison. I booked it based on recommendations on this site.

One criticism I heard about OLL was that the food was "too authentic". My family enjoyed trying the new food, and we all left full.

I did not mind the drive either way. I think we left about 4:15. There was a little traffic going there.

One thing to keep in mind, I am not a big drinker. I drank the Mai Tai handed to me on the way in, and diet coke after that. If you were to keep with the drinks, another driver on the way home is an excellent idea. Have you checked with Roberts?

I was also surprised that there was not a drink bill at the end of the evening..

Edited by JustThinking23

Yes, my family of 5 enjoyed it very much.

Thanks, so glad you all enjoyed it. I've also booked OLL per recommendations on this site and also TripAdvisor.

I couldn't book it online more than 3 months ahead, so I've called long-distance from Israel and they were more than gracious. Always a good sign. Looking forward to it.

I don't drink and DH is occasionally enjoying a glass of wine with his dinner. Should he indulge in more, I'll be the free 2nd driver with the rental.

We're travelling with another couple - they like their drink :)

Folks that are renting a car you can do a whale watch tour atthe Pacific Whale Foundation they run tours all day. Then you can go across the street to Maui Ocean Center one of the best aquariums around. You can also but discounts if you purchase both, at least you use to be able to.

All this is on the way to town Lahania.

This is also a very easy drive with few directions and your also driving along the coast where you'll be able to stop for pics.

We have also purchased the tickets a long time ago. We have a car, but we'd prefer to find others for the same evening (Sunday 3rd April), and "pool our forces" together instead of driving there & back. So far, no luck in our roll call.

Just curious, "JustThinking" -- did u enjoy the OLL? How was the driving there and back? We plan to drive from port at around 4PM.

:)

We have been to a couple different luau's but like OLL the best for it's food and the drinks are plentiful and not watered down. The easlier you book the better the seating. They have two types of seating floor mats Unless your young and or flexible I don't recommend but they have table seating of 6 to 8 at at table.

The earlier you book the better the seating you will get not that there is bad seating as I think it only holds about 500 people.

The food was great, lots of selection and fresh. Do try the poi and the tara buns.

The other nice touch is there isn't a mad rush for the buffet as they take tables up one by one and same food is on both sides so the line moves fast.

The show was good as well but it doesn't contain the fire dance.

The show was good as well but it doesn't contain the fire dance.

That's a good point if it's important to someone but the OLL performs Hawaiian dances & the fire dance is Samoan.

The Feast at Lele is owned by the same company & has the fire dance because their performances & food are from Samoa, Tahiti, New Zealand & Hawaii. It's a little bit more than the OLL and has more variety with table service in a smaller oceanfront location.

I think that both are great although for special occasions the Feast at Lele (original name for Lahaina) is our choice. :)

Folks that are renting a car you can do a whale watch tour atthe Pacific Whale Foundation they run tours all day. Then you can go across the street to Maui Ocean Center one of the best aquariums around. You can also but discounts if you purchase both, at least you use to be able to.

All this is on the way to town Lahania.

This is also a very easy drive with few directions and your also driving along the coast where you'll be able to stop for pics.

The OP is cruising in August. Not many whales in August.

• 4 weeks later...

Very easy drive to OLL. Walking about Lahaina is a must! We visit Maui each year. Beautiful grounds and the most popular. It was nice. Since we went the very first time we visited Maui, we've been to another. Can't compare it to others.

Not sure how much time you have in Maui, but lots to do.

Enjoy!

Very easy drive to OLL.

It is an easy drive unless there is an accident on the road between Ma'alaea & Lahaina resulting in its closure. During whale season there seems to be more accidents which could be caused by distracted drivers attempting to view them.

There isn't a good alternative because the road around the north end through Kahakuloa is very narrow in sections & takes about twice as long.

Here's a phone # to check on conditions:

Road Closure Advisory Line

Phone: (808) 986-1200

It is an easy drive unless there is an accident on the road between Ma'alaea & Lahaina resulting in its closure. During whale season there seems to be more accidents which could be caused by distracted drivers attempting to view them.

There isn't a good alternative because the road around the north end through Kahakuloa is very narrow in sections & takes about twice as long.

Here's a phone # to check on conditions:

Road Closure Advisory Line

Phone: (808) 986-1200

True... I also find depending on time of year and day if you have to deal with traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

True... I also find depending on time of year and day if you have to deal with traffic.

There have been several head on collisions this winter near the McGregor Point lookout parking lot. That's located at the beginning of the pali road along the cliffs just past Ma'alaea heading towards Lahaina. The lookout is a popular place to see whales but not everyone follows the safe way to enter & leave the parking lot. The accidents have involved mostly tourists unfamiliar with the area but it can happen to anyone including locals.

Maui traffic is nothing like on O'ahu (some recent surveys have Honolulu near the top of worst traffic in the US) but there are some general conditions that I consider before going anywhere. ;)

There have been several head on collisions this winter near the McGregor Point lookout parking lot. That's located at the beginning of the pali road along the cliffs just past Ma'alaea heading towards Lahaina. The lookout is a popular place to see whales but not everyone follows the safe way to enter & leave the parking lot. The accidents have involved mostly tourists unfamiliar with the area but it can happen to anyone including locals.

Maui traffic is nothing like on O'ahu (some recent surveys have Honolulu near the top of worst traffic in the US) but there are some general conditions that I consider before going anywhere. ;)

Yes, that's a bad place. I think she's going in August, so won't have to worry about that. My friend that lives there said that many are people not paying attention to see the whales. I found myself doing that and my dh had to keep reminding me to keep my eyes on the road! :eek:

Love going in the winter to see them tho!

Hi Cruisermom,

I have researched this quite a bit as we are in the same situation in September.

The local taxi companies (CBmaui from Kahuli and Lahaina taxi back to the ship) should cost you about $100.00 dollars each way tip included. While renting a car is probably less expensive, you will be driving after dark (at least on the way back to the ship) on roads that you may not be familiar with. Also if you choose to have a cocktail or two, the taxi is a better go. Have fun it is a Great Luau.

Hi Terri,

It's probably best if you check your itinerary to see which port your ship will be in - then come back here to advise. It's either going to be Kahului or Lahaina. The more you know about your cruise ... the better equipped you'll be to make plans that work for you.:)

While I understand many people visit on POA

I'll be on a Royal ship.

I thought that ship docks much closer to OLL?

can anyone confirm this?

As mentioned frequently on this board, there are two places to come ashore on Maui. POA and Carnival dock in Kahului, almost an hour from OLL. Pretty much everybody else (including RCI) tenders at Lahaina, where OLL is located.

Grab a quick look at Google Maps, or similar.

Edited by CruiserBruce

You can walk to the OLL from the Lahaina tender dock.( it's a long walk along sidewalks, but doable) or otherwise use taxi or Uber. I would want transportation after the luau is over.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app