Thought cruising was boring

Gingee

I know someone who went with a family group. Just got off the cruise this morning. Four night cruise Bahamas Anyway they thought it was boring. But get this - The one who thought it was boring won a ship on a stick in a trivia game. What more could you get? LOL Anyway her relative won a seven day cruise. Wow

What I am saying to newbies is if you don't care to sit in the sun, try some of the activities.

That's the great thing about cruising. You can do as much, or as little as you wish. While I'm happy sitting in a lounger reading (something I really don't get time to do at home), my wife feels if she isn't running around constantly that she's bored.

my FIL felt same way.

He didn't like the broken English of the crew.

He didn't like the beds.

He didn't like the menu in the MDR changing every day.

He didn't like waiting for the elevators.

He didn't like the ports of call.

He wouldn't take a day trip in Miami because he was afraid he would miss his 4 pm flight

He never relaxed and had a good time and he hasn't been back. Wife and I are on cruise #7 and still going strong. MIL would love to go again but his negativity tends to rub off on her. So--

THEY AREN'T OUR CRUISING PARTNERS!!

Cruising isn't for everyone even though I don't understand the thought.

Happy sailing!

PAGGS

I understand how people can find it boring. Most people do not cruise and do not want to. We love cruising, but on most of our cruises we have found ourselves ready to get off the ship after Day 5. We are all different and I don't see any reason to negatively judge someone just because they don't enjoy something that I do.

"Because the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right some.." (Bet you will have that song stuck in your head all day :D).

Some itineraries aren't all that good of a match for certain personality types. Hubby and I think going to an all-inclusive land resort is very vanilla and bland. We like to do things on our own and crowds are something we avoid when we can.

But our desire to see Alaska and the need to economize prompted us to check out a cruise offered by an ad that came to our attention in our email. We called the company who hooked us up with a TA and the rest, as they say, is history. The cruise line was Princess and it was an absolutely amazing experience.

That said, we tried Carnival in the Caribbean with a port in Cozumel. Had that been our first experience cruising it would have been our last if you know what I mean. I like excitement but drunks in the hallway at all hours simply doesn't do it for me. I won't discount the Carnival line completely because other people really like them, but they aren't the line for us. We aren't "old" either as we in our 40s at the time. Hairy chest contests and the like just don't thrill us. And being from Florida a Caribbean cruise was about like laying out beside our own pool.

Basically all I'm saying is that everyone is different. The uniqueness of each cruise line may make it an enjoyable cruise from some and then that same cruise line doesn't thrill someone else. I'm sorry your FIL has closed his mind but I'm very happy that you've found what works for you. Congrats and have fun!

I thought cruises were horrible after my first cruise on an older smaller NCL ship to Bermuda. Bermuda was wonderful, but the ship's food was mediocre and the passengers were drunken revelers. I am still not into cruising for cruising's sake, but I like to see new ports. We usually combine land trips with cruises. And like mamkmm2 says, we don't need to escape harsh winter weather down here.

Edited by Floridiana

Everyone is different. I've also found that sometimes I am different depending on my mood and stage of life/travel experience.

I'm at a point where I really want to try cruising and so the opportunity to do it appealed to me just as much as the destination. That said, I'm ok with a 5 night cruise so I can see how I like it. I think I will but at this juncture of my life, it's hard for me to see wanting to go on more than a week-long cruise. That's probably about the max of what I can afford in time off, beverages and fees anyway.

I think I will definitely be able to entertain myself and relax on a cruise. I don't see a lengthy transoceanic cruise in my future anytime soon but I think it's great that they are there for other people. Also, while I'd like to see the Caribbean and think a cruise might be a good way to get a taste of different areas, I'm not someone who wants a lot of intense or loud partying. I'm youngish but I like more sedate relaxation.

Anyway, it's great that there are different options out there for different people. Give me some sea breezes, some pool time, decent food and a few interesting activities and I will be happy. It will be great to explore new places too.

Travel doesn't need to be one size fits all and I'm glad that cruising is an option and that there are many different ways to cruise. :)

My oldest DS is bored on cruises. Hench why since he turns 18 in a few weeks, he has decided to no longer go with us.

My DH gets bored if he isn't doing anything. TBH this isn't just a cruise thing either, I find during his weekend, I have to find ways to entertain him with things to do because he has that type of personality. Unless he is doing "something" on a cruise, he is bored.

On the total other hand, myself and youngest DS can find entertainment in anything and are rarely bored. I can already see my youngest on our upcoming cruise. He is going to start talking to as many random people as he can telling them cheesy jokes and bad puns. Hey it is what he does at home to entertain himself!

For me, I can sit and read all day long and be happy. Frequently even at home, I will find myself actually enjoying a series of books so much, I have no issues reading 600+ pages in a day. I am really easy to please and keep happy though compared to some.

So speaking from experience, cruising really isn't for everyone and it is based on personality type. I honestly think my DH would be a lot worse at say an AI than a cruise also though so....

To each their own, I can actually see my oldest never choosing to go on a vacation unless forced to. My DH just wants to not to go work for a few weeks. My youngest is slightly upset he won't be cruising until at least 2019 now, since for our 20th wedding anniversary in 2018 I am already planning a 14 day Med cruise for me and DH alone. This just goes to show how many different personalities are in a single household alone for vacation time!

Cruising is not for everyone. Some folks have totally different expectations for what they consider to be an ideal vacation. I've been on over fifty cruises, but there are certain apsects of it I don't like, so I can sympathize with those who don't like much about cruising at all. I don't condemn them for their preferences. I hate, hate, hate camping. Vacations are truly a matter of each to his own.

I understand how people can find it boring. Most people do not cruise and do not want to. We love cruising, but on most of our cruises we have found ourselves ready to get off the ship after Day 5. We are all different and I don't see any reason to negatively judge someone just because they don't enjoy something that I do.

"Because the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right some.." (Bet you will have that song stuck in your head all day :D).

We really like a 14 day cruise with plenty of sea days. But that's our limit. Can't imagine the 70 day + world cruises.

my FIL felt same way.

He didn't like the broken English of the crew.

He didn't like the beds.

He didn't like the menu in the MDR changing every day.

He didn't like waiting for the elevators.

He didn't like the ports of call.

He wouldn't take a day trip in Miami because he was afraid he would miss his 4 pm flight

He never relaxed and had a good time and he hasn't been back. Wife and I are on cruise #7 and still going strong. MIL would love to go again but his negativity tends to rub off on her. So--

THEY AREN'T OUR CRUISING PARTNERS!!

Cruising isn't for everyone even though I don't understand the thought.

Happy sailing!

PAGGS

What is an FIL?

My wife wasn't sure she would like cruising and be bored until we took our first cruise. Now, she is the one who does all the planning. As you can see below, she has her own website now where she features pictures she takes on our cruises. We have cruise number 14 coming up in August and our 15th is booked for December.

We have discovered the shorter cruises seem to have more of a floating-drinking party atmosphere, so we avoid those completely.

Cruising is a great way to travel. Happy cruising everyone!

Edited by JimAOk1945

That's why everyone is different. We started out doing all inclusive vacations (honeymoon) but then decided to "see the USA". Traveling by plane outside of USA. Then had kids and traveled in the USA. We skipped cruising last year for the first time. I like to see different places so I watch the itineraries.

We also do other types of vacations.

I figured out FIL = father in law

MIL must = mother in law

What the heck is DH, DW, DD, DS????

do people type anymore!!!!???? :rolleyes:

DH = dear husband

DW = dear wife

DD = dear daughter

DS = dear son

They are acronymns. :cool:

This link will take you to an entire list, most of which you may see from time to time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_acronyms

Edited by JimAOk1945