Tours or Things to Do in Punta del Este Uruguay, Montevideo, Uruguay

jjmprod1963

Hi - Our NCL cruise goes to Punta del Este,Uruguay and Montevideo, Uruguay at the end of March. I've been researching these ports on Tripadvisor, hoping to book a private tour, but there doesn't seem to be too much to do there in these ports and I can't really even find tour companies for Punta del Este. Has anyone hired any tour companies in these ports, or have any recomendations? Thanks in advance for your help!

We were in Montevideo on New Years Day which made even finding a private tour guide challenging. We finally found Uruguias (http://uruguias.com.uy/en/tours/) tours. If we could fill a van they were willing to do a city tour that morning. There was enough interest that they filled two buses. Our tour guide was excellent and there was absolutely no problem with traffic since we were about the only vehicle on the road! Their website mentions tours in Punta del Este too.

Yes I had a guide in Buenos Aires office who leads tours in Buenos Aires and Uruguay (Montevideo, Colonia and Punta del Este) . Only small groups and private high quality service. Little more expensive but wonderful cars, drivers and guides. (check: http://www.lizflor2.blogspot.com or write to liz2arg@yahoo.com)

Thank you so much for your advice! These are two of the tour companies that I looked into previously and know that they are both rated highly on Trip Advisor. I've contacted both of these companies today. I really appreciate your feedback. :-)

• 9 months later...
Hi - Our NCL cruise goes to Punta del Este,Uruguay and Montevideo, Uruguay at the end of March. I've been researching these ports on Tripadvisor, hoping to book a private tour, but there doesn't seem to be too much to do there in these ports and I can't really even find tour companies for Punta del Este. Has anyone hired any tour companies in these ports, or have any recomendations? Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi,

Not sure if you bicycle ride, but i just booked a 2 hour easy bike tour for Punta del Este with the owner of http://biketoursuruguay.com/ based upon recommendations i gleamed from these posts! Good luck!

In Punta del Este there is no need to book a tour. It is a very easy DIY to walk around. One of my favorite ports on the Around the Horn cruise. I was there in 2014 on the Celebrity Infinity. We picked up a walking tour map and followed it along. It explained all the places to see. It was a very pleasant few hours. Got some great pics too!

We took the Around the Horn cruise in March, 2016 from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso on Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas.

In Montevideo, we took the pink hop on hop off bus which was parked right at the port where we got off the ship. It was fun. After that, we explored the Mercado del Puerto and ate lunch there. It was highly recommended, but we found the food disappointing and overly expensive.

In Punta del Este, the ship's tender dropped us off at a fishing pier where many fishermen were cleaning and selling their catch. We watched a huge sea lion along with many smaller ones who were begging for the leftover scraps. After that, we walked across the island to see "La Mano", a huge sculpture of a hand on the beach. It was a nice walk (but very hot in March). The beach was beautiful and looked nice for swimming. Later, we took a taxi back to the fishing pier, watched the sea lions again, and took the tender back to the ship. It was a lovely day.

• 1 month later...
Our ship Emerald Princess will call at Montevideo on Feb. 26, 2018 along with 2 other ships. I have booked a 3 1/2 hour bicycle tour with Bike Tours Uruguay. It sounds like a fun way to spend half a day.

They are predicting a very hot summer here in Uruguay this year so keep that in mind. The sun is very strong here too so use lots of sunscreen.

It is expected to be 91F tomorrow.

They are predicting a very hot summer here in Uruguay this year so keep that in mind. The sun is very strong here too so use lots of sunscreen.

It is expected to be 91F tomorrow.

Might be a little warm for a bike ride in town. Is the humidity high?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Might be a little warm for a bike ride in town. Is the humidity high?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes we have high humidy year round. Hot again today 89F humidity is 80% and 90F with humidity of 90% expected tomorrow. There are still folk out on bikes but they go by quite slowly! Maybe watch the forecast, it may be better the day you are here.

If it turns out to e a hot day while in Montevideo in late Feb., is there a decent public beach not too far away from where the ships dock? Would we walk there or need to take a taxi? If we go by taxi will there be cabs to return us?

Yes we have high humidy year round. Hot again today 89F humidity is 80% and 90F with humidity of 90% expected tomorrow. There are still folk out on bikes but they go by quite slowly! Maybe watch the forecast, it may be better the day you are here.

I’m considering booking a bike ride in March (first week). How hot is it typically in March?

(I was only in BsAs & Montevideo in January, and that set a new standard for me for heat and sun).

I’m considering booking a bike ride in March (first week). How hot is it typically in March?

(I was only in BsAs & Montevideo in January, and that set a new standard for me for heat and sun).

March is usually nice and not nearly as hot. The kids will have returned to school and most of the tourists have gone. Beaches will be quiet.

Should be perfect for bike riding unless you hit a rainy day!

Edited by Lunenburg
spelling

When you get to the pier there are lots of minibus/jitney drivers looking to offer tours. You may have to wait a bit for the bus to fill but once done you'll stop at the Ralli Museum (extra charge if you want to enter) and the Hand. Tour was $20 or $25 pp in USD cash. They will leave you off in the center or at the pier. You can easily walk back to the pier from the town center.

We ate at Virazon this time last year. Just looked it up on our Visa bill. Our B&B host recommended it. Great seafood. Our bill was $55. USD with tip. I was driving so there was only one glass of wine. DW did not have a drink. Beautiful restaurant. One of the best restaurant meals we had over a two month trip.

Who knows what it is like now. Don' t forget to use you credit card. That way they will not charge you the VAT.

Edited by iancal

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving so there was only one glass of wine. DW did not have a drink. Beautiful restaurant. One of the best restaurant meals we had over a two month trip.

Reminder to anyone driving. Uruguay now has zero tolerance for driving and drinking. If stopped and breathalyzed anything over 0% is impaired. They can impound the vehicle, take your license and give it to your Embassy resulting in a DUI on your license in your home country. If in an accident, you will be tested and if over 0%, insurance is void and you will possibly be remanded until the law decides your fate. There was even a story of a woman who tested positive although she had only had a salad with balsamic vinegar dressing!

I was driving so there was only one glass of wine. DW did not have a drink. Beautiful restaurant. One of the best restaurant meals we had over a two month trip.

Reminder to anyone driving. Uruguay now has zero tolerance for driving and drinking. If stopped and breathalyzed anything over 0% is impaired. They can impound the vehicle, take your license and give it to your Embassy resulting in a DUI on your license in your home country. If in an accident, you will be tested and if over 0%, insurance is void and you will possibly be remanded until the law decides your fate. There was even a story of a woman who tested positive although she had only had a salad with balsamic vinegar dressing!

Wow! That is really scary....hope the rest of the world is not headed that direction. Definitely will have a driver there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums