on board the Explorer

egret

We're on the Explorer, left Miami yesterday. Good news, no whistling windows!!

I was worried for the last few weeks about our cabin selection. We are in 631 and saw posts indicating the G staterooms were too small. Our TA reassured me but I was relieved when we got onboard to find the stateroom comparable to the Paul Gaugin's that we know and love.

We ate at the Compass Rose last night and had a great meal and met some new friends.

Did the gym this morning. The treadmills were full but we were able to work our way in to get a decent workout. The walking/jogging track was closed due to high winds.

Hopefully we will get better weather as we move south.

More to come.

Egret, thanks for the update. I was concerned about the G cabins, too, as we booked my mother and her husband in one next month, but since this is their first cruise I'm sure they'll be more than fine.

I can see where an H might be a bit snug, but the Gs looked fine to me. I'd still rather be on an H on Regent than a suite on most other lines...

Glad to hear about the lack of whistling doors/windows!

Bill, agree that cruisers that are not used to suites on the Voyager and Navigator will be okay with "G" suites. On the other hand, if you have been sailing for years on Regent with walk-in closets and a good size bathroom with a bathtub and shower, the "G" category suites just don't make it (although they are lovely in terms of décor). I'll be interested in learning your views of the "G" category against the "F" or Concierge suites.

egret - looking forward to further posts. Hope you love the cruise. When you disembark, we embark!

Thanks and looking forward to hearing about your cruise. We haven't been on Regent yet, so nit's nice to hear whats going on. We've cruised mostly "O" and looking forward to Regent. In fact just the other day we booked are 3rd Regent cruise.

Rick

Glad to hear about the lack of whistling doors/windows!

Bill, agree that cruisers that are not used to suites on the Voyager and Navigator will be okay with "G" suites. On the other hand, if you have been sailing for years on Regent with walk-in closets and a good size bathroom with a bathtub and shower, the "G" category suites just don't make it (although they are lovely in terms of décor). I'll be interested in learning your views of the "G" category against the "F" or Concierge suites.

egret - looking forward to further posts. Hope you love the cruise. When you disembark, we embark!

As I said, we'll be able to do a direct comparison since my wife and I are in an F2 and mom's in a G2. We're in a D in August, which is the same suite as the F2 but a little bigger balcony and a lot more money. ;p It made sense for us since we were doing a few nights pre-cruise so the cost wasn't that much more.

I've heard that the colors and the artwork vary between decks. If that's true it will be fun to explore the differences (no pun intended).

Did the gym this morning. The treadmills were full but we were able to work our way in to get a decent workout

We may have been next to each other - i was on one of the treadmills from 07.15 - 08.00 :)

I was the least athletic looking individual !

As I said, we'll be able to do a direct comparison since my wife and I are in an F2 and mom's in a G2. We're in a D in August, which is the same suite as the F2 but a little bigger balcony and a lot more money. ;p It made sense for us since we were doing a few nights pre-cruise so the cost wasn't that much more.

I've heard that the colors and the artwork vary between decks. If that's true it will be fun to explore the differences (no pun intended).

As I've mentioned, we have been in "F1" and "D" categories and the inside of the suite is identical. I think that you and your DW will love it.

In terms of the artwork, we love the photographs on the hallway walls and you're right - each deck is a bit different. I wasn't aware that the "colors" vary between decks.

You are going to have so much fun on both of your Explorer cruises!

Well the site is called cruise critic, right? No lemon curd for the scones at tea???? The ship is beautiful but the crew seems inexperienced. We were never met with a blank stare on Regent before that I can remember. Seems that many staffers on their first cruise. No big problems but the response time is noticeably slower than we had on the Paul Gaugin.

Our next door neighbors felt that the ship is less stable than the Voyager, so some of the posts I have read here may be accurate. I am not experienced enough to judge this. The DW was queasy after dinner Friday night so we missed the show. She seems fine now. I had the lobster at dinner Friday and the claw meat was a bit desiccated like it was refrigerated open for a while. Our table mate had a real problem with the lobster, It was not bad in my opinion.

More later I have to catch my excursion in Tortola.

We had a great time at the "Baths" on Virgin Gorda. Nice walk down to the Baths then back up to the top to go down to the other beach to go through the caves the right direction. The folks supervising the excursion seemed a little concerned about losing control of the group. He came looking for us and requested that we stay close to him on the Bath side. Had some rain come and go but it was a nice afternoon. Two medical emergencies, one delayed leaving and one required us return to port.

My DW and I figure we are in the 10% on the cruise who don't qualify for medicare. Everyone we have met is nice. We have had great dinner companions so far at the Compass Rose. I like the singing duo. As long as the gin holds up I think I will have a great vacation.

Hoping for the best for all involved.

Some light liquid sunshine today, but otherwise a beautiful day and great cruise thus far!

My DW and I figure we are in the 10% on the cruise who don't qualify for medicare. Everyone we have met is nice.

It definitely seems to be a good mix of people on board, even two or three families. I had to laugh about medicare, my wife and I are a younger too, so I know how you feel. We aren't quite halfway to qualifying for medicare yet.

Edited by vitacura

We had a great time at the "Baths" on Virgin Gorda. Nice walk down to the Baths then back up to the top to go down to the other beach to go through the caves the right direction. The folks supervising the excursion seemed a little concerned about losing control of the group. He came looking for us and requested that we stay close to him on the Bath side. Had some rain come and go but it was a nice afternoon. Two medical emergencies, one delayed leaving and one required us return to port.

My DW and I figure we are in the 10% on the cruise who don't qualify for medicare. Everyone we have met is nice. We have had great dinner companions so far at the Compass Rose. I like the singing duo. As long as the gin holds up I think I will have a great vacation.

Who's the singing duo now? We board next Sunday. BTW save us some Hendrick's! 🍸

Who's the singing duo now? We board next Sunday. BTW save us some Hendrick's! 🍸

We don't board for three weeks, so feel free to drink all the clear hooch you want...my tastes tend toward the brown ones anyhow. :whiskey-glass:

We don't board for three weeks, so feel free to drink all the clear hooch you want...my tastes tend toward the brown ones anyhow. :whiskey-glass:

It would be nice to chat over some nice single malts. See you soon!

Marc

PS I also enjoy Johnnie Blue whilst onboard; even though it is a blend.

Well the site is called cruise critic, right? No lemon curd for the scones at tea???? The ship is beautiful but the crew seems inexperienced. We were never met with a blank stare on Regent before that I can remember. Seems that many staffers on their first cruise. No big problems but the response time is noticeably slower than we had on the Paul Gaugin.

Our next door neighbors felt that the ship is less stable than the Voyager, so some of the posts I have read here may be accurate. I am not experienced enough to judge this. The DW was queasy after dinner Friday night so we missed the show. She seems fine now. I had the lobster at dinner Friday and the claw meat was a bit desiccated like it was refrigerated open for a while. Our table mate had a real problem with the lobster, It was not bad in my opinion.

More later I have to catch my excursion in Tortola.

Lemon curd is not typical to put on scones, at least not as typical as clotted cream (source: British DH) but it's delicious.

I'm curious if your last experience with Radisson/Regent was the PG. That was our first luxury cruise back in 2004 (and was two owners ago). Difficult to compare the PG with the Explorer for many reasons. Most luxury cruise lines were better (in some ways) 10 years ago. Also, the Explorer is about the times the size of the PG.

IMO, the Explorer is much more stable than the Voyager.

Continue to enjoy your cruise.:D

But is it as stable as Mariner? I do hope so!

That is debatable (and I have discussed this with the Staff Captain on the Explorer). My opinion is that the Mariner is slightly more stable than the Explorer in rough seas, however, we were on deck 12 forward during the last transatlantic crossing and forward suites feel the motion of the ocean much more than on lower decks - mid-ship.

We have sailed in a far aft suite on the Mariner and will be in a far aft suite on Sunday so I'll be better able to make a comparison (especially since it is another transatlantic crossing).

I think Mariner and Explorer are probably about the same as far as stability. And Voyager is now free of the persistent vibration, which made it seem less stable, so it is probably almost up with the other two.

Am on the Explorer now

I think the staff is very accommodating. They go out of their way to help you .

This is my 7th Regent cruise and I think they have taken good service to very high level

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think Mariner and Explorer are probably about the same as far as stability. And Voyager is now free of the persistent vibration, which made it seem less stable, so it is probably almost up with the other two.

Ok - you have spiked my curiosity. Has the vibration that has been on the Voyager since soon after it was "born" and was deemed "unfixable" now fixed? If so, this is huge! Please provide more details. Thanks!

Ok - you have spiked my curiosity. Has the vibration that has been on the Voyager since soon after it was "born" and was deemed "unfixable" now fixed? If so, this is huge! Please provide more details. Thanks!

YES! I mentioned this a couple of times on my recent blog. The vibration is 95% gone. Even in Chartreuse (used to be Signatures), where it was really strong. I asked the engineer about this when we dined with him, and he confirmed they had specifically addressed it at the dry dock. I would be fine having a room behind the back elevator now. Would have never considered it previously.

YES! I mentioned this a couple of times on my recent blog. The vibration is 95% gone. Even in Chartreuse (used to be Signatures), where it was really strong. I asked the engineer about this when we dined with him, and he confirmed they had specifically addressed it at the dry dock. I would be fine having a room behind the back elevator now. Would have never considered it previously.

Thanks for the information (sorry but I missed this when I read your blog). We are looking forward to returning to the Voyager next year for two cruises but are now slightly less excited to return to the Mariner later this year. The Mariner was our second favorite ship but has dropped down to third place after the debut of the Explorer. We are crossing our fingers that she still looks good in November. I will miss not having LV redone as it is so much better on the Explorer (and I assume that it is on the Voyager as well).