Route of the vikings

galeforce9

Hi. I hope I can call on your invaluable experience out there. I'm considering route of the vikings 2018 - either i or ii. For people that have sailed this before, how would you rate the itinerary? Were many ports missed due to poor weather? Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. I hope I can call on your invaluable experience out there. I'm considering route of the vikings 2018 - either i or ii. For people that have sailed this before, how would you rate the itinerary? Were many ports missed due to poor weather? Many thanks

We did this itinerary several years ago and loved it! One of our favorites and hope do it again.

We did miss the Faroe Islands due to a storm. But the ship made a stop in Belfast in place of the Islands. We hadn't been there either so were not to disappointed too miss the Islands.

I did it two years ago. It was a special itinerary with 5 stops in Greenland. We made it to Edinburgh, Faroer, both ports in Iceland, 3 of 5 ports in Greenland and all ports in Newfoundland and Canada. A very good "score" in my opinion. The weather was chilly with moderate seas and a mix of sun and rain all the way. One missed port in Greenland became a sea day, the other missed port a day of complimentary "Expeditions" zodiac rides along floating icebergs - lots of fun.

Floris

It was a special itinerary with 5 stops in Greenland.

I didn't know Greenland had 5 ports! We leave on 19 August this year and the itinerary includes 2 in Greenland and 3 in Iceland. I have a feeling that may be enough glaciers and puffins!

Thanks cwn. We're most places requiring a trip out to make the most of them or is it enough to stroll around where the ship takes you?

We didn't do any ship excursions or privately arranged tours. We did rent a car in Scotland to go see Sterling Castle, in Iceland to drive around to a number of sites (very easy to rent and drive...well marked roads) and in Newfoundland to go to the National Park. We made some English friends on the ship and they joined us in the car in Iceland and Newfoundland. The rest of the time we just walked around. If you don't want to get a car, I think I would do a tour in Iceland as it is a beautiful country and lots to see close, but not walkable.

We did route of the vikings last year and loved it. Our weather was perfect. Of 32 days Dover to Boston we had one slight drizzle day in Glasgow (nothing to worry about) and heavy fog in Bar Harbor. Otherwise clear blue skies and northern lights over 3 nights.

Wow, the two itineraries for 2018 are really interesting and would be great back to back. We feel like we have unfinished business in Iceland it was so lovely.

The only ports we had in common with the new routes and I can comment on are:

Lerwick - walk around

Reykjavik - private tour to do the golden circle (excellent). We had other stops in Iceland and hired a car. The scenery was wonderful.

Qaqortoq - walk around

Corner Brook - walk around

Hope this helps...go back to back :evilsmile:

• 2 weeks later...

We are signed up for 2018 Route to Vikings 2. We would love to do both but can't soare the time. Having lived in London for a few years we decided to do the second cruise as we have seen much of Scotland and thought we could go to Iceland fir a few nights prior and then see all the awesome ports in Greenland and Canada.

We were on the December 2016 Antarctica and South Georgia island Seabourn cruise. We lived it! Wanted to do the route to Vikings this August but too many trios already planned for the summer so we look forward to August 2018 - Route to Vikings 2. Again we will spend a few nights in Iceland pre cruise. I guess I should participate in roll call since we are already signed up! Hope to see you there!

Kej1

We may end up joining you again (we were on the Holiday Antarctica cruise with you as well). I agree that the second itinerary looks far more interesting than the first -- multiple ports in Greenland and a number of new Canadian ports.Looks like we would have many good hiking opportunities Plus starting in Reykjavik would be much easier than flying to the UK. What we are trying to decide is whether to add the next leg from a Montreal to Boston.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Chairsin, I hope you join! We are getting off in Montreal as I can't take more time but would have loved to stay on!

Galeforce 9, I hope you join as well! I think it will be a great trip.

• 5 months later...

Just booked the first section, from Dover to Reykjavik. Any more advice on the ports of call would be great.

16JUL18 Dover (London), England

17JUL18 Day at Sea

18JUL18 Newlyn (Penzance)

19JUL18 Milford Haven, Wales

20JUL18 Douglas, Isle of Man

21JUL18 Rothesay, Isle of Bute, Scotland

22JUL18 Oban, Scotland

23JUL18 Scenic cruising St Kilda (CRUISING ONLY)

23JUL18 Am Baile, St Kilda, Scotland

23JUL18 Scenic cruising Boreay & Stac Lee

24JUL18 Summer Isles, Scotland

24JUL18 Ullapool, Scotland

25JUL18 Copinsay Island, Scotland

25JUL18 Kirkwall, Scotland

26JUL18 Isle of Noss, Shetland Islands, Scotland

26JUL18 Lerwick, Shetland Islands,

27JUL18 Torshavn, Faroe Islands

28JUL18 Day at Sea

29JUL18 Vopnafjorour, Iceland

30JUL18 Akureyri, Iceland

31JUL18 Siglufjorour, Iceland

01AUG18 Day at Sea

02AUG18 Tasiilaq, Greenland

03AUG18 Skjoldungen Fjord, Greenland

04AUG18 Day at Sea

05AUG18 Grundarfjordur, Iceland

06AUG18 Reykjavik, Iceland

I went to Greenland last year aboard the Regent ship Navigator. Greenland was a total surprise - some majestic scenery, especially Christiansund, and some rather shocking towns where the people mostly live in huge apartment blocks reminiscent of the old Soviet Union. Lots of poverty, too. On our trip we saw virtually no wildlife.

My photos are here -

I went to Greenland last year aboard the Regent ship Navigator. Greenland was a total surprise - some majestic scenery, especially Christiansund, and some rather shocking towns where the people mostly live in huge apartment blocks reminiscent of the old Soviet Union. Lots of poverty, too. On our trip we saw virtually no wildlife.

My photos are here -

Thanks Fletcher

My photos are here -

Where did you go in Greenland? Curious about the ports. Great photos!