Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Hello, everyone!

The third part of this thread reached over 5000 posts, so it's time to close it and start a new one. Part 3 is now closed, but remains available for review and reading at this link

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2434612

Please continue your water cooler discussion in this thread. :)

Thanks Mitchell. The smell of fresh paint! There was me thinking we might last out until January 1st ... :D

Just to remind any new lurkers what it is all about ..... these are the basic sentiments behind the Cooler when it started in August 2013. Do join us and Enjoy

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39470485&postcount=1

Hello Syrgym, I think I can tell you are not Spanish; not "rellenadas" but "rellenas". Wonderful to have you join our Cooler. Jeff was very was generous when he said "musicians"...I am not, but I meander among them. My DH is a composer, that's true. Are you a performer, a music theorist, or...pray, another composer? It will be great having you sit at our Cooler bar!

Ah!...you caught me, I’m just a Spanish learner. My husband has his doctorate in musicology (Verdi) and master’s in piano. I’m a former private chef and baroque flutist and studied at New England Conservatory and Peabody in Baltimore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is wonderful! He would very pleased making acquaintance with you both! And not only for the music, but also for the food. He is the cook at our house and he has a lot of respect for chefs. Alas, he doesn't do Cruise Critic...that's my forte...I WON'T LET HIM TAKE IT AWAY. Are you Germans then? DH studied in Hamburg.

Luke was born in Germany and I lived there as a child. His German is perhaps better than mine, and his Italian is brilliantly fluent, but my Spanish is alas...”improving?” He was a Mormon missionary in Milan for several years and returned to complete his doctorate. It would be terrific to meet and greet on a cruise, Silversea or otherwise.

I can see we will have to have Tuesday night as music night here in the Cooler! I can play "Baaa Baaa Black Sheep" on the violin if that helps and "Rock of Ages" on the recorder. So that's two tunes sorted. And us Brits are also fond of Joe Green! ;)

If your Danube cruise takes in Vienna, you might want to keep your eye on Ruprechskirche as it is a sublime place to visit when there is early music. It is an unforgettable experience.

http://www.ruprechtskirche.at/new/index.php?id=75

http://www.alte-musik.co.at/

Well Jeff, I'm totally useless singing but I think I can still dance, so you can play the recorder and I'll dance... but preferably some Latin music, so start rehearsing "Despacito". Syrgym, we've been to Vienna but not to Prague...that should be so lovely... We had decided we would not cruise for a while (a bit of a bitter taste from last cruise), but DH suddenly decided we would...in Seabourn! I guess we may be scolded in this SS thread, but the dates and itinerary worked out. This will be in early January. I've looked at Scenic and thought it would be perfect for a river cruise. I'm sure you will both enjoy!

We don’t use the term “unisex” anymore.

“Gender neutral” or just “lavatory” works just fine. (note: my husband is the director of an LGBT equity center and corrects me constantly)

James, this made me chuckle ...... but as my question is off topic to the thread in which it was posted .... asked here, where within reason anything goes.

The real issue that causes offence and harm is often pure ignorance rather than people intending to cause offence - ie simply clumsiness, I hope you agree. I hope you don't mind a question. I use to have a BA cabin crew friend that would patiently answer my dumb questions.

You are very open about yourself, and refer to Luke as "my husband". Does that imply he also refers to you as his husband ie both male members in a gay marriage always being called a husband or do some same sex gay marriages of either sex both refer to each other as husband/wife? Genuine question - I know it makes it look like it is from a complete ignoramus (which is what I probably am ....) so I hope you do not find it in any way offensive, because that isn't intended. :)

Bill,

The German and Austrian sausage are probably the most highly governed and government protected sozzies in the whole wide world. And so you are of course correct. If you take the meat out of a Wiener you're left largely with the skin. ;)

Only five weeks to our Austrian Sozzie Safari where we hunt, kill and eat these wonderful culinary gifts in their natural wild environment. I will post piccies of every sozzy.

James, this made me chuckle ...... but as my question is off topic to the thread in which it was posted .... asked here, where within reason anything goes.

The real issue that causes offence and harm is often pure ignorance rather than people intending to cause offence - ie simply clumsiness, I hope you agree. I hope you don't mind a question. I use to have a BA cabin crew friend that would patiently answer my dumb questions.

You are very open about yourself, and refer to Luke as "my husband". Does that imply he also refers to you as his husband ie both male members in a gay marriage always being called a husband or do some same sex gay marriages of either sex both refer to each other as husband/wife? Genuine question - I know it makes it look like it is from a complete ignoramus (which is what I probably am ....) so I hope you do not find it in any way offensive, because that isn't intended. :)

Actually, we don’t particularly like the term “husband,” (we were married in January of this year) but I use it occasionally to differentiate from “partner” or “spouse.” On the other hand, some women couples detest the term “wife.”

I find the gay marriage thing interesting in the sense that those who oppose it are, or so they would have it, not likely to take advantage of the possibility. Our local MP voted against gay marriage in the Parliamentary vote some years ago. Thankfully, he was in the minority. His reason? That marriage was an institution sanctioned originally by the church for the procreation of children and that he felt it devalued traditional ''British Values'' (a commonly bandied phrase which has no definition and means absolutely nothing other than to be used as a trump card when logical debate fails).

It's odd, isn't it, how often people feel the need to speak out for or against something that has absolutely no influence on ther lives whatsoever? That two people, regardless of their sexuality, should be allowed to commit to a mutually supportive union seems, to this simplistic soul anyway, a mark of a society that has risen beyond a knee-jerk need to suppress anything that seems to threaten the hegemony of the terminally bigoted.

I feel better for that...!

I find the gay marriage thing interesting in the sense that those who oppose it are, or so they would have it, not likely to take advantage of the possibility. Our local MP voted against gay marriage in the Parliamentary vote some years ago. Thankfully, he was in the minority. His reason? That marriage was an institution sanctioned originally by the church for the procreation of children and that he felt it devalued traditional ''British Values'' (a commonly bandied phrase which has no definition and means absolutely nothing other than to be used as a trump card when logical debate fails).

It's odd, isn't it, how often people feel the need to speak out for or against something that has absolutely no influence on ther lives whatsoever? That two people, regardless of their sexuality, should be allowed to commit to a mutually supportive union seems, to this simplistic soul anyway, a mark of a society that has risen beyond a knee-jerk need to suppress anything that seems to threaten the hegemony of the terminally bigoted.

And ironically, those same people, the most adamantly anti-gay/homophobic, are often the ones arrested in public toilets. For example, that paragon of family values, Senator Larry Craig from Idaho.

Well Jeff, I'm totally useless singing but I think I can still dance, so you can play the recorder and I'll dance... but preferably some Latin music, so start rehearsing "Despacito". Syrgym, we've been to Vienna but not to Prague...that should be so lovely... We had decided we would not cruise for a while (a bit of a bitter taste from last cruise), but DH suddenly decided we would...in Seabourn! I guess we may be scolded in this SS thread, but the dates and itinerary worked out. This will be in early January. I've looked at Scenic and thought it would be perfect for a river cruise. I'm sure you will both enjoy!

Yes, we are thrilled to be on the Scenic Amber! I understand that Scenic might be doing a Salmon River cruise very soon?...[emoji6]

Actually, we don’t particularly like the term “husband,” (we were married in January of this year) but I use it occasionally to differentiate from “partner” or “spouse.” On the other hand, some women couples detest the term “wife.”

Thanks!

TTS,

Very interesting points. Your comments concerning those that speak out about things that don't influence their lives whatsoever are a logical stance. I am entirely supportive of gay marriage but have a question. The issue is absolutely clear cut with civil partnerships and civil marriage ceremonies which are governed solely by national laws and I do not believe anyone has the right to begrudge this. Do you however feel that clergy of any and all religions should be forced by national law and threat of criminal sanction to perform marriage ceremenoies that their own conscience currently forbids them to do and might have been the teachings of their own church for the whole history of their church and maybe centuries? In other words should the rights, wishes and entitlements of a gay couple to have a religious marriage trounce the rights of the church and the vicar?