Bank ATM's in Australia and New Zealand Fees

Wine-O

Besides the ATM and transaction/conversion fees my U.S. bank charges me, what fees do Australian/New Zealand banks charge to make an ATM withdrawal? For example, European banks do not charge an ATM fee to make a withdrawal transaction. It's just my U.S. bank that charges any ATM/conversion fees. Would this be the same in AUS/NZ bank ATM's?

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember being charged a fee by any major bank ATM in either Australia or New Zealand. I do get charged by my own bank, but that's a different matter. Because my own bank is Barclays, one of the fees is waived if I withdraw from a Westpac machine, just like Cruise Junky says.

The ATM's that we used did not charge any additional fees, that said, there was little need for cash in Australia or New Zealand, other than paying for private tours, almost everything is set up for paying by card. Enjoy your trip, this was by far our most amazing cruise :) PS: our bank reimburses us for any ATM fees at home or abroad, you might want to look into that.

• 1 month later...

We returned just last week from the lands 'Down Under.' In Australia there was an ATM fee but that was reimbursed by our bank.

There was little use for local currencies as nearly everything could be charged on a credit or debit card, even the local tour company accepted credit cards, and tipping was not required or expected!

We just loved our visits to Australia and New Zealand; hope to return again for longer visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Most ATM's we used in Australia charged AUD$3 whether you withdrew $50 or $300, so get the maximum amount per transaction. Your U.S. bank fees, if any, will also apply.

A few restaurants/merchants charged 1% to use credit card vice paying in cash. So, a lunch of $60 AUD cost me an additional $.60 cents.

I found that just about everyone takes your credit card, even for just a couple of drinks, so I would recommend not getting a lot of cash.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from oz. the atm fee was $3.00 at ANZ machines. We have a capitol one 360 card which doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees. when we used allpoint branded ATMs, there was no access fee.